Experience with late embarkation times

Markanddonna

I have noted that many on this site stated that the port officials don't really seem to care about what your e-ticket states is your boarding time. Ours is very late 3:30, just 30 minutes before they close boarding (as stated on their website.)  I tried calling MSC and it was sent up to the "highest authority" who denied my request for changing our embarkation time.  We have complications with traveling with an unvaccinated grandchild and I won't even go into all the bad info I have been given. Even as Diamond members, we are given no exemption.

So, what is your experience with trying to board earlier than your cruise ticket states?  All we need is that one disgruntled port employee to reject our request to turn this into a nightmare.

1 hour ago, Markanddonna said:

I have noted that many on this site stated that the port officials don't really seem to care about what your e-ticket states is your boarding time. Ours is very late 3:30, just 30 minutes before they close boarding (as stated on their website.)  I tried calling MSC and it was sent up to the "highest authority" who denied my request for changing our embarkation time.  We have complications with traveling with an unvaccinated grandchild and I won't even go into all the bad info I have been given. Even as Diamond members, we are given no exemption.

So, what is your experience with trying to board earlier than your cruise ticket states?  All we need is that one disgruntled port employee to reject our request to turn this into a nightmare.

Just show and tell them you were not able to do web check in.  If they let you pass pull out your documents after.

1 hour ago, mscdivina2016 said:

Just show and tell them you were not able to do web check in.  If they let you pass pull out your documents after.

Thanks for this advice. Isn't it sad that MSC is so convoluted and dysfunctional that we have to resort to doing this?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Markanddonna said:

Thanks for this advice. Isn't it sad that MSC is so convoluted and dysfunctional that we have to resort to doing this?

You can't fix stupid. 

I have had it with them but we will be filling in the beginning of April once I get back from the Seaview.

On my January cruise I was originally given Noon, then got a text message asking me to come at 3:30. The documents never changed from Noon, my shuttle arrived about 11:30 and no one said anything other than “Welcome!”

4 hours ago, JT1962 said:

On my January cruise I was originally given Noon, then got a text message asking me to come at 3:30. The documents never changed from Noon, my shuttle arrived about 11:30 and no one said anything other than “Welcome!”

I hope that is so, but the word is that MSC seems to be allowing for increased numbers over spring break. That is mostly attributable to families traveling with children in their cabins. That increases the numbers quite a bit.

23 hours ago, Markanddonna said:

How does this make MSC dysfunctional? In an effort to spread out the chaos of everyone arriving at once, guests are given a boarding time. If everyone stuck to their boarding time, things should go smoothly. If everyone does whatever they want because they are too entitled to follow the boarding time they were assigned, things become dysfunctional, guest become frustrated and then they post about how terrible MSC is. 

For the vast majority of our cruising history, cruisers arrived at port whenever they wanted. There may have been waits and  back ups, but it all seemed to have worked out. We are supposed to get priority boarding as Diamond members. I could give you a litany of recent problems with MSC including them losing my entire account and insisting I never sailed with them to having NO record of my history of bookings. Their It and website has been "updating" and fixing the problems since November. Pllease don't speak about what you don't know. 

• Like 1