American Queen cabin questions

We are sailing on the American Queen in a category A cabin (#330-350) next week. I have a few cabin-oriented questions.

On ocean going ships, the walls are usually metallic, so magnets will stay on the wall (for paperwork, hats, etc.). Also ,luggage can usually be stowed under the bed, so won’t take closet space. 

• Will two medium-sized suitcases fit under the bed?
  • Are the walls magnetic?
  • How many electrical outlets are there in the cabin (ipad, 2 cell phones, head phones)?
  • Is laundry soap available? Are detergent “pods” allowed? (Some laundromats don’t allow them, due to them not melting properly.)
  • Other comments about space/amenities?

Thank you for any comments you have about the American Queen.

Diana

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Cruizer Diana said:

We are sailing on the American Queen in a category A cabin (#330-350) next week. I have a few cabin-oriented questions.

On ocean going ships, the walls are usually metallic, so magnets will stay on the wall (for paperwork, hats, etc.). Also ,luggage can usually be stowed under the bed, so won’t take closet space. 

• Will two medium-sized suitcases fit under the bed?
  • Are the walls magnetic?
  • How many electrical outlets are there in the cabin (ipad, 2 cell phones, head phones)?
  • Is laundry soap available? Are detergent “pods” allowed? (Some laundromats don’t allow them, due to them not melting properly.)
  • Other comments about space/amenities?

Thank you for any comments you have about the American Queen.

Diana

Another question...

• Bicycles appear to be provided. Are they available in all ports? Is there a fee? Do you have to reserve them in advance? Has anyone used them?  

Thank you.

Diana

I don't recall the number of outlets but I always use a multiport charger.  That way I can charge 5 or 6 devices using just one outlet.  

I'm sure we used our magnetic hooks on the walls.

Cruised on the Queen before they had bikes but used the bikes a couple of times on the Empress.  Mostly they were used by the crew but you just had to fill out a form the first time and then you could just check one out without charge.  They were certainly not road bikes, more like industrial strength.  Always plenty available any time we were in port.

58 minutes ago, ericosmith said:

I don't recall the number of outlets but I always use a multiport charger.  That way I can charge 5 or 6 devices using just one outlet.  

I'm sure we used our magnetic hooks on the walls.

Cruised on the Queen before they had bikes but used the bikes a couple of times on the Empress.  Mostly they were used by the crew but you just had to fill out a form the first time and then you could just check one out without charge.  They were certainly not road bikes, more like industrial strength.  Always plenty available any time we were in port.

Thank you. Very helpful comments.

We're in room 338 and there are 4 outlets (2 plugs each) incuding the bedside clock. and one of the 4 outlets of course is in the bathroom. We had plenty of storage space for our clothes, lots of hangers but I could use a few more which I will ask for. We easily slid our two large suitcases under the bed with room to spare. I saw bikes but I don't know how many there are, also umbrellas.

• Like 1

On 3/12/2022 at 12:36 PM, amenuensis said:

A work in progress, I am trying to do travel blog about the cruise with photos here: https://wordpress.com/view/jackiestravelblog432753637.wordpress.com

Just saw your first blog installment!  Thanks so much for sharing.  We'll be heading to NOLA on Sunday for our river cruise on the AQ, so I'm really enjoying the pictures and reading your impressions of the trip!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/6/2022 at 8:53 PM, Cruizer Diana said:

Another question...

• Bicycles appear to be provided. Are they available in all ports? Is there a fee? Do you have to reserve them in advance? Has anyone used them?  

Thank you.

Diana

Hi Diana, I just got off the AQ about a month ago & there were plenty of bikes available. We just had to sign up at the front desk & they had them ready for the choosing at the gangway. There's no cost & they were pretty nice bikes. We enjoyed them at Nottoway.   (Oops....just got around to noting that you've already cruised. Oh well, LOL! Hope this info helps other cruisers) 🤣

Edited by pookeysmom
Realized my answer was outdated possibly

2 hours ago, pookeysmom said:

Hi Diana, I just got off the AQ about a month ago & there were plenty of bikes available. We just had to sign up at the front desk & they had them ready for the choosing at the gangway. There's no cost & they were pretty nice bikes. We enjoyed them at Nottoway.   (Oops....just got around to noting that you've already cruised. Oh well, LOL! Hope this info helps other cruisers) 🤣

Yes, but thank you anyway. 🤣

We noticed the bikes near the gangway and had hoped to use them, but it was cold, wet, or windy at the stops where we would have ridden. They did look nice. We may make the trip again in a couple years and will hope for better weather.