Announcement re Russian cruises

gogo65

As per the Ponant website (on the page of our northeast passage cruise):

In light of current world events, we want to express our solidarity with Ukrainian people, especially our Ukrainian crew members onboard PONANT fleet, with whom we are in close contact. We are at their side, taking any measures helping them to liaise with their families or to consider their wish for repatriation.

From an operational perspective, PONANT will be amending the 2022 itineraries to remove the ports of call in Russia and Ukraine. The situation is being closely monitored by PONANT teams. 2022 itineraries in the Baltic Sea, Black Sea and Russian Arctic that include calls in Russia and Ukraine between May and October will be suspended in these areas. Alternative itineraries are being assessed: security of our passengers and crew members will be a priority for PONANT.

Our Travel Advisors and guests affected by these modifications will be contacted by PONANT’s team.

More details will be available soon.

• Thanks 3

35 minutes ago, AussieBoyTX said:

That’s good they have some clarity for us. 

Agreed, now we need to wait and see if they will reroute ours via the north west passage or cancel completely..

1 hour ago, gogo65 said:

Agreed, now we need to wait and see if they will reroute ours via the north west passage or cancel completely..

Sorry for my lack of detailed geopolitical knowledge, but does the north west passage not involve any waters 'claimed' by Russia?

1 minute ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Sorry for my lack of detailed geopolitical knowledge, but does the north west passage not involve any waters 'claimed' by Russia?

No, that trip is all Greenland, Canada & Alaska — though some would say the US / Russia boundary is disputed. 

https://us.ponant.com/the-arctic-the-northwest-passage-cc110923-12

More-or-less yes, it’s another thing not resolved with the fall of the Soviet Union: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/USSR–USA_Maritime_Boundary_Agreement

Some Alaskas also claim the islands North of “New Siberian Islands,” which are very much North of Russia in the NorthEAST Passage, are part of Alaska. The US Government has never claimed this. You can see the islands on the map on that Wikipedia page: Herald, Jeanette, Bennett and so on. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/De_Long_Islands#Sovereignty

Edited by AussieBoyTX

3 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

To be honest my knowledge would also be lacking had we not looked into the north west and north east passages.

Both look amazing trips, with the North East a little more remote.

To me it seems a simple swap, just go the other way around the top of the world, end up in Nome, Alaska and both are 24 days long.

Our cruise includes a flight from Paris to Tromso but they could easily change that to Reykjavik.

However no doubt it won’t be that simple, but they still need to get their ships over there somehow, in saying that the cruise following ours is also a 2 week Russian Arctic cruise, which would also be cancelled.

Time will tell, I’m busily looking at options..

this is my 4th Ponant cruise cancelled now! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Seems the right hand doesn’t talk to the left hand…

I contacted my TA to ask if he had heard anything about changes and Ponant responded with ‘there is no change to the itinerary and cruise will be proceeding as planned’.

I read the statement to him that quite clearly states Russian Arctic cruises will be suspended, he laughed! He has responded with the quote from their website and so we will see if Ponant at least acknowledge the statement.