NCL Flight Upgrades

jkbec101

We're on the Epic out of Barcelona in September and was wondering about how to go about upgrading our flight from economy to business.  Has anyone done it through NCL or do you just wait to get your confirmation number and upgrade on your own?

1 minute ago, jkbec101 said:

We're on the Epic out of Barcelona in September and was wondering about how to go about upgrading our flight from economy to business.  Has anyone done it through NCL or do you just wait to get your confirmation number and upgrade on your own?

Highly unlikely as NCL books the cheapest tourist/group rates. Most airlines require a minimum fare class to even be given the option of joining the waitlist and then pay the upgrade fee. You would have been better off booking your own flights.

4 minutes ago, jkbec101 said:

You would do it direct through the airline once you get your flight confirmations. Most airlines allow this, but I think there may be a few that do not (British Airways may be one).

I've had Delta in the past and have been able to upgrade all the way to first class if I wanted.

1 minute ago, joyy7403 said:

Yes, you can upgrade directly with the airline

You MIGHT be able to upgrade, depends on the airline.  But if you want to upgrade, it's between you and the airline.  Sometimes if you have status with the airline you will have better options.  From my experience, only Delta allowed upgrades beyond better seating in the main cabin.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I just spoke with Delta, and this can be tricky. Delta would NOT upgrade us, because untangling the reservation 'could' cause other parts of the reservation to go haywire. (Alaska on outbound-Delta/Virgin on return). I will be calling the flight desk for NCL during the week to see if we can at least get comfort class, on the return. Alaska was easy to upgrade on the outbound. (for a fee) We will see what Delta/NCL/Virgin will do for us and I will update. 

Also for anyone wondering, the 2nd person flying free is WELL worth it. I expected NCL to go cheap and book us on the return from London via Icelandair through Iceland or Aeirlingus through Dublin. Here is the value of what we got when I paid for NCL's free air package of $1178 for two people.  (pricing below is what I would have paid if I had purchased on my own)

Spokane to JFK (via SEA) for $250 pp/one-way main cabin. The return is LHR direct to SEA (10.5 hrs) and then connect into GEG for...wait for it...$1588 pp/one-way. A. Only one stop (which I love), and booking on my own would have been (for the same flights) $1800 PER PERSON, and I paid $1178 total. Saved $2422 on flights. Now I could have gone with Condor or a budget airline, but would have had at least one more stop, (Germany, Iceland, Ireland, NYC etc.) I see $900 returns from London with extra stops in the ultra-economy sections (no bags, no pre-chosen seats, no meals etc.). Even with that, total price is hovering around $2500 and I paid $1178 with bags included. (and seats). Right now I am pretty happy with NCL's air package. 

• Like 1

On 3/9/2022 at 12:13 PM, jkbec101 said:

We upgraded at the airport to BC to Barcelona on British Airways 🙂

Edited by ihate2cruise
error
  • Like 1