Covid self test on ship?

MagicsMom08

Has anyone performed a self test w/ Telemed services on a ship? We will need negative tests one day prior to flying back from London to the US.  Our last port is La Havre, was hoping to do our tests onboard in our stateroom using the ships Wifi. Has anyone done this successfully?

I have not done what you ask.  I can tell you that a cruise we had booked on Celebrity arranged for the return home test.  Of course, our flight had to be within the required timeframe from disembarkation.  We ended up cancelling the cruise, so I can't tell you about the actual testing.  Additionally, we received notice that folks booking after a certain date would have to pay for the Celebrity test.  

Not much help I'm afraid, butthat is all I know!  😃

6 hours ago, MagicsMom08 said:

Has anyone performed a self test w/ Telemed services on a ship? We will need negative tests one day prior to flying back from London to the US.  Our last port is La Havre, was hoping to do our tests onboard in our stateroom using the ships Wifi. Has anyone done this successfully?

A teleproctored test requires live streaming. Your ship may charge extra for that level of internet and it may take quite some time for the whole procedure, which (if the internet charge is time based) could cost you more than you’d prefer. 
You didn’t mention which cruise line or their onboard testing availability. Our preferred line is Oceania and, if you need a test to immediately fly home, O provides it onboard at no charge. 

On 3/11/2022 at 6:50 PM, Flatbush Flyer said:

A teleproctored test requires live streaming. Your ship may charge extra for that level of internet and it may take quite some time for the whole procedure, which (if the internet charge is time based) could cost you more than you’d prefer. 
You didn’t mention which cruise line or their onboard testing availability. Our preferred line is Oceania and, if you need a test to immediately fly home, O provides it onboard at no charge. 

So, in the long run, the money you saved buying those tests will be spent on internet costs. I found out Heathrow airport (we are going to England) offers a 4-hour test for $150 a person. My husband balked when he could do it this way cheaper, but I flat said then I am not going.  Whose to say if even your hotel has good internet to livestream. You never know. I would rather be safe than sorry. After all, we are already spending thousands so what is a couple hundred more? And yes, believe it or not, I'm a cheapskate, but never on things that really matter. 

Cruise ship Internet connections are generally not reliable enough to justify the gamble.  You need an unbroken connection for some time (at least 15 min).   Why not wait until you disembark and have a reliable land based connection to do the self test?  If you test positive the day before you disembark you would be no better off then testing positive on the day of your flight.  We have spent enough time (measured in years) on cruise ships to understand that Internet is just not very reliable.

Hank 

3 hours ago, momofmeg said:

So, in the long run, the money you saved buying those tests will be spent on internet costs. I found out Heathrow airport (we are going to England) offers a 4-hour test for $150 a person. My husband balked when he could do it this way cheaper, but I flat said then I am not going.  Whose to say if even your hotel has good internet to livestream. You never know. I would rather be safe than sorry. After all, we are already spending thousands so what is a couple hundred more? And yes, believe it or not, I'm a cheapskate, but never on things that really matter. 

I assume you’re quoting me for continuity of the thread. But, just in case, I don’t recommend using the telemedicine exams anywhere that internet can be sketchy.

• Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/13/2022 at 6:20 PM, Flatbush Flyer said:

I assume you’re quoting me for continuity of the thread. But, just in case, I don’t recommend using the telemedicine exams anywhere that internet can be sketchy.

I was only saying I would spend the extra, better safe than sorry. That's all.