Smith Cove Terminal - Seattle - Wheelchair Assistance

CelebrityMan

My apologies if this has been covered.  I tried searching the forums, but that wasn't very helpful.

Is there wheelchair assistance at the Smith Cove terminal at Pier 91 on Elliott Bay?  By this, I'm specifically inquiring for getting mobility challenged passengers from their drop-off vehicle to and through the terminal and then aboard ship.

Thank you in advance for your answers.

CM

Yes, wheelchair assistance is available at Pier 91.  Generally speaking, the wheelchair shoreside staff are usually positioned along the driveway where the transfer buses arrive, although I think Carnival positions them just outside the terminal building.  There is a supervisor stationed with the wheelchairs who is in radio contact with supervisors inside the building as well, in case someone needs help after they started the embarkation process.

Anyone can 'hail' a wheelchair staff person, including a longshore worker, bus driver or taxi driver, as well as individuals traveling.

There are usually about 8 on duty, but sometimes it can be as high as 10 wheelchairs in service.  It does take 20-30 minutes for each wheelchair trip, depending on long the ADA check-in line is. Patience may be needed if all the wheelchairs are already in service. 

After check-in, the shoreside staff member will drop off the passenger at the ADA waiting area located just next to the check-in desk .  All cruise lines, except Carnival will have their own crew members wheel passengers on to the ship, and I believe to their stateroom if it is ready.   The one exception is Carnival, where the Shoreside staff person will take the passenger to just inside the ship's door, but not to the passenger's stateroom.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 year later...

@Ferry_Watcher Do you by chance know if the info above is still valid at Pier 91?  Will be arriving via Seattle Express for Royal Princess.  I’ll be a month past major surgery, and while I will be able to walk, I doubt I will be able to stand for a long time or walk long distances.  Princess does have me down for wheelchair assist.  Also curious if we will be able to use porters as I may not be able to drive my luggage, either. 

Edit: booked an early shuttle from airport hotel, but willing to modify that if certain time windows have better porter and wheelchair availability.
Thank you,

Jen

Edited by Sailin Gal

On 7/9/2023 at 6:18 PM, Sailin Gal said:

Do you by chance know if the info above is still valid at Pier 91?

It's pretty much the same.  Wheelchair assistance is still first come - first serve.  It would be best to leave your luggage with the Longshore porters outside (if you have an able-bodied traveling companion, maybe they can get the luggage dropped off with a porter.  The wheelchair attendants can not touch your luggage under the union rules.  They can assist with your smaller personal carry-on bags, but not larger pieces.

As for arriving at Pier 91, it is busy on the weekends with two ships (HAL & Princess).  You may have to wait for wheelchair assist, but if you have done all your online check-in, your in-person check-in should go quickly once they are ready to take you..  Expect to be seated in an another ADA waiting area post check-in, when a ship crew member will transport you on to the ship.

• Thanks 1