'Rhine Getaway' on Viking?

Napoli4

Some great advice above, the only thing I'd add is to check out Vantage if interested in the Rhine, and you have more time.  They do a two week cruise and add the Mosel, which is the nicest stretch of river we've been on.  Since many lines don't up the Mosel, no rafting, and towns not overrun with other cruisers.  The only other line we've sailed is Viking, and Vantage is pretty similar, with slightly larger rooms.

Great that you're taking advantage of your daughter's schooling to get a vacation in.  Enjoy!  

2 hours ago, ural guy said:

Some great advice above, the only thing I'd add is to check out Vantage if interested in the Rhine, and you have more time.  They do a two week cruise and add the Mosel, which is the nicest stretch of river we've been on.  Since many lines don't up the Mosel, no rafting, and towns not overrun with other cruisers.  The only other line we've sailed is Viking, and Vantage is pretty similar, with slightly larger rooms.

Great that you're taking advantage of your daughter's schooling to get a vacation in.  Enjoy!  

Vantage has many interesting non-river offerings, but the MA-based company performed very poorly when issuing refunds for COVID-cancelled river cruises, as described on these boards.  Here in MA the attorney general's office was very helpful for those promised refunds but never got them.  For that reason, Vantage would be a definite NO for us, river or non-river.  Too bad, as I mentioned, many of their non-river itineraries look intriguing to us.

Edited by sharkster77
  • Like 1

Hi Napoli4.

Rhine getaway was the first river cruise we took, that was 10 years ago, and we only went because our friends wanted to go, and they chose the trip and Viking. We loved it and have been on 9 Viking river cruises.

We have booked main cabin (i.e. non-opening water level window, French balcony (not a balcony at all, just a floor to ceiling opening glass door and veranda. After a break for the past two year because of you-know-what we recently booked another Rhine Getaway for end of April because of a great discount, and we want to be in the warm, all-encompassing Viking bosom, having meals cooked and wine poured. 

We've been on fully booked boats and yet there seems to be plenty of room on the boat and in the ding rooms.

Is a veranda worth the extra cost? Well, when you are moored 50% of the boat is alongside the bank, or - as others have noted, now there are so many river cruise lines, you may have a boat moored next to you. When cruising you can see only one bank from your veranda. On the sun deck and at the front of the boat and in the lounge you can see sights on both river banks. The Viking web-site has plans of the different cabins, but we found we use the cabin only to sleep and change clothes, however my wife has decided she doesn't like to main deck cabins - i.e. the water level and doesn't use the veranda, so French balcony for us.

At night we slept very soundly, only being woken sometimes when going through locks. In 9 cruises we never scraped the bottom. Most time the boat moored in the city, so many people went into the cities/towns to eat and drink, leaving even more space in the dining room. But where boat are moored is dictated by the local harbour master, but all the cruise lines seem to more close to each other

There are many cruise lines, offering different level of services. We can't see the need for a butler, don't want an in-room drinks cabinet, but it's your choice.

Members of this board have their own favourites, but your initial research brought you to Viking -I don't think you'll have any regrets booking them. 

• Like 1

On 3/25/2022 at 8:15 AM, sharkster77 said:

Vantage has many interesting non-river offerings, but the MA-based company performed very poorly when issuing refunds for COVID-cancelled river cruises, as described on these boards.  Here in MA the attorney general's office was very helpful for those promised refunds but never got them.  For that reason, Vantage would be a definite NO for us, river or non-river.  Too bad, as I mentioned, many of their non-river itineraries look intriguing to us.

Fair enough, we waited and are using our credit for a November 2022 Danube sailing.  It definitely tried our patience, but were fortunate that we could ride it out, and Vantage was decent with their addition credits for all the hassle (in addition to low water credits from a low water 2018 fun time, that we would have lost, so sunk costs drove the decision).  Very unprecedented times,  and they 'appear' to still be breathing.

As I posted around 20 months back when we booked the November makeup, we'll either be real happy with a smooth sailing, or not.  Roll your dice, move your mice.

17 hours ago, pontac said:

Hi Napoli4.

Rhine getaway was the first river cruise we took, that was 10 years ago, and we only went because our friends wanted to go, and they chose the trip and Viking. We loved it and have been on 9 Viking river cruises.

We have booked main cabin (i.e. non-opening water level window, French balcony (not a balcony at all, just a floor to ceiling opening glass door and veranda. After a break for the past two year because of you-know-what we recently booked another Rhine Getaway for end of April because of a great discount, and we want to be in the warm, all-encompassing Viking bosom, having meals cooked and wine poured. 

We've been on fully booked boats and yet there seems to be plenty of room on the boat and in the ding rooms.

Is a veranda worth the extra cost? Well, when you are moored 50% of the boat is alongside the bank, or - as others have noted, now there are so many river cruise lines, you may have a boat moored next to you. When cruising you can see only one bank from your veranda. On the sun deck and at the front of the boat and in the lounge you can see sights on both river banks. The Viking web-site has plans of the different cabins, but we found we use the cabin only to sleep and change clothes, however my wife has decided she doesn't like to main deck cabins - i.e. the water level and doesn't use the veranda, so French balcony for us.

At night we slept very soundly, only being woken sometimes when going through locks. In 9 cruises we never scraped the bottom. Most time the boat moored in the city, so many people went into the cities/towns to eat and drink, leaving even more space in the dining room. But where boat are moored is dictated by the local harbour master, but all the cruise lines seem to more close to each other

There are many cruise lines, offering different level of services. We can't see the need for a butler, don't want an in-room drinks cabinet, but it's your choice.

Members of this board have their own favourites, but your initial research brought you to Viking -I don't think you'll have any regrets booking them. 

To me, best feature of Viking is the forward second dining area.  Best view, comfy rockers, and more casual dining.  Vantage placed their second dining area at the rear, so the view isn't as nice.  Food may be a slight notch better, just because they've had a brilliant young lad manning the BBQ just 20' away.  My hearing is bad, and the low ceilings in both Main dining rooms, made it tough on me...a lot of mumble and smile on my part, combined with 1.5hrs to eat, not enjoyable for me.

Never felt crowded on either, except for Viking daily brief can get crowded in lounge in everyone shows up.  

• 3 weeks later...

Our first VRC was the Danube and we did a veranda room.  We spent so little time on it that on our second cruise, the Rhine, we did the French balcony and enjoyed it just fine.  When it comes down to it, for sightseeing you'll mostly be on the top deck or in the lounge.

190 passengers only seemed a lot during the afternoon activities in the lounge (get there early) and at dinner.  But we "discovered" the Aquavit terrace and ate several dinners there in relative peace and quiet.

We did the Rhine November 2021 and due to the state of the world there were only 98 passengers.  It...was...wonderful!

Viking's staff on board is incredible, some of the best we've encountered.

• Like 1

On 3/16/2022 at 3:53 PM, Napoli4 said:

Getting ready to book our very first river cruise for this May/June - eeek!  Our daughter just left to study in Stuttgart for 6 months, and we're planning a visit but would like to add a river cruise (just for my husband and I) on the itinerary.  We like the Amsterdam to Basel itinerary because we can fly to Amsterdam, do the cruise, and then train over to Stuttgart to meet up with her.   There are so many questions!  Do Viking boats dock close to the town centers?  Is a veranda room worth the extra money, or is a French balcony room plenty? What is the average age of Viking guests?  Is there a 'better' company than Viking (and why)?  Thanks in advance for any advice!

We were just on the Danube Waltz and we had a balcony room.  Honestly, a french balcony would be just as good.  We hardly ever used the balcony.  One reason was that the weather wasn't very good (your weather in May/June will be better), but honestly, when you want to sit outside, you'll go up to the top deck to see the panoramic views instead of just from one side.  You mainly sail at night and there's nothing to see on your balcony during the day except 1 of 3 things:  1) the side of another Viking ship parked next to you, 2) the dock where you are "parked", or 3) the other side of the river (which isn't much to see).  Either way, you'll enjoy yourself!

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, piginmud said:

We were just on the Danube Waltz and we had a balcony room.  Honestly, a french balcony would be just as good.  We hardly ever used the balcony.  One reason was that the weather wasn't very good (your weather in May/June will be better), but honestly, when you want to sit outside, you'll go up to the top deck to see the panoramic views instead of just from one side.  You mainly sail at night and there's nothing to see on your balcony during the day except 1 of 3 things:  1) the side of another Viking ship parked next to you, 2) the dock where you are "parked", or 3) the other side of the river (which isn't much to see).  Either way, you'll enjoy yourself!

I will add to your comments that when you ARE sailing during the day in a scenic stretch of the river (ex:  Wachau (sp) valley on the Danube or middle Rhine castle stretch) you will either be (a) on the top deck outside or (b) in the lounge with floor-to-ceiling windows, 2 stories high, on both sides.  The worst place to be is in your cabin, looking out of just one side of the boat.

Edited by sharkster77
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/28/2022 at 11:21 AM, ural guy said:

Never felt crowded on either, except for Viking daily brief can get crowded in lounge in everyone shows up.  

You can watch briefing live on TV in your cabin 🙂

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/23/2022 at 7:08 AM, ural guy said:

I sailed with them back in 2014, and our CD couldn't figure it out.

Use TV Remote Control

Select Live TV

There's a bow camera (showing what the view is from the ship's front) and a Lounge Camera (showing the lounge) 

Select Lounge Camera

The you can see and hear the Programmes Director's briefing in your room as you get ready for dinner

Edited by pontac