Walgreens Rapid NAAT test same as PCR?

kimblythe

I went on to book an appt to line up pre cruise test and the rapid NAAT was results in 2 hours. The other was the PCR that says typical 48 hour turn around. I did a bit of research and it says NAAT is a PCR test, so I am a bit confused and I don't want to show up with the wrong test. 

30 minutes ago, kimblythe said:

I went on to book an appt to line up pre cruise test and the rapid NAAT was results in 2 hours. The other was the PCR that says typical 48 hour turn around. I did a bit of research and it says NAAT is a PCR test, so I am a bit confused and I don't want to show up with the wrong test. 

They are not the same.  Depending on what you need the test for, it may be an acceptable test, but it is not a PCR.

From the Princess FAQs Sailings from the United States.

What type of COVID-19 tests are accepted?

Guests must be tested with a SARS-CoV-2 (COVID-19) viral test that could be either an antigen test or a nucleic acid amplification test (NAAT).

• Antigen tests include:
    • Rapid antigen test
    • Viral antigen test
    • Antigen Chromatographic Digital Immunoassay,
    • Antigen Chemiluminescence Immunoassay, or
    • Antigen Lateral Flow Fluorescence
  • NAAT include:
    • PCR - Polymerase chain reaction
    • RT-PCR – reverse transcription real time PCR
    • Quantitative PCR (qPCR)
    • Reverse transcription loop-mediated isothermal amplification (RT-LAMP) test
    • Transcription-mediated amplification (TMA) test
    • Molecular test or molecular diagnostic test
    • Isothermal amplification
    • Droplet Digital PCR or digital droplet PCR (ddPCR)
    • Clustered regularly interspaced short palindromic repeats (CRISPR)
  • Like 1

Right now, I plan on taking Walgreens Rapid NAAT for my cruise out of Vancouver in June.

From Walgreens - "The rapid NAAT is a molecular test that detects genetic material of the virus."

But Canada just posted: "Starting April 1st, pre-entry tests will no longer be required for fully vaccinated travelers entering Canada by land, air or water."  Let's see what Princess does.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Coral said:

They are different. You may want to indicate what you need it for (Alaskan cruise, etc..) and we can help advise. I used the IDNow test at Walgreens for a Mexican cruise out of LA..

We leave LA on Majestic for the Mexican Rivera.  I am thinking the Rapid Antigen NAAT is good for what we need. 

6 hours ago, Grillfish said:

But Canada just posted: "Starting April 1st, pre-entry tests will no longer be required for fully vaccinated travelers entering Canada by land, air or water."  Let's see what Princess does.

Isn't Canada still requiring test for Cruise passengers?  Thought I read that somewhere.  Also unsure, if true, it applied to cruises both leaving from or stopping by a Canadian port.