Crown Grill or Sabatini’s?

redflag216

On 3/26/2022 at 1:23 PM, SNJCruisers said:

That's a first.....gotta serve the retirees.  But a screw top bottle is just as easy to open as a screw top box.

I have had some very good wines with a screw cap. Times have changed.

• Like 1

This discussion is silly. K&L on Harrison Street (among other locations) is one of the top wine retailers in the country. I have done business with them for decades. Many of my friends who make and sell very high end wines place their products there. And they sell wine in a box. End of story, full stop. Time to move on. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Thrak said:

I have had some very good wines with a screw cap. Times have changed.

Never implied that there wasn't good wine from a capped product.  Just compared that a screw top wine is just as easy to open whether it's in a bottle or a box.

2 hours ago, SNJCruisers said:

According to google Daly City is 7.6 mi from SF via I-280. That's close enough.

Why would anyone want to waste their time to go to Daly City when they can get better wine in San Francisco at a local store?

I take it you are getting paid to promote a chain of stores.

24 minutes ago, brisalta said:

Why would anyone want to waste their time to go to Daly City when they can get better wine in San Francisco at a local store?

You must have missed my posts. I’ve told you twice where to find boxed wine in SF.

55 minutes ago, Kmkub said:

You must have missed my posts. I’ve told you twice where to find boxed wine in SF.

The guy is completely clueless.  He's never heard of boxed wine and doesn't consider a town 7.6 miles away as part of metropolitan San Francisco.

1 hour ago, brisalta said:

No, just trying to convince someone that's obviously clueless that boxed wine has been around for years and is available at a nationwide chain store 7.6 miles away from SF.  

11 minutes ago, SNJCruisers said:

The guy is completely clueless.  He's never heard of boxed wine and doesn't consider a town 7.6 miles away as part of metropolitan San Francisco.

I found it IN SF.  Not 8 miles aay.

I would go for Crown Grill for the premium steaks, and sometimes do a surf and turf with a filet and pay extra for a lobster tail.  I always order the dessert sampler to end it.

But my last cruise a few months before the pandemic kicked in, I noticed the very last evening in the main dining room (lobster night), they offered premium steaks on the menu from Crown Grill; very limited selection of cuts, but was way cheaper than paying the cover charge at CG.

The last 2 times we've eaten in the Crown Grill we've been disappointed.    

The service just isn't up to par, the servers are rushing around but it seems like there is no continuity in everything.   

I order the fillet - definitely not prime, it wasn't tender

the next time I order surf and turf w/ rib eye.   The lobster was disgusting, it tasted like it had been boiling in salt water forever.   The rib eye wasn't evenly cut so the steak was well done on one end and rare on the other end.

We had another dinner scheduled but chose to cancel.

1 hour ago, SNJCruisers said:

No, just trying to convince someone that's obviously clueless that boxed wine has been around for years and is available at a nationwide chain store 7.6 miles away from SF.  

You are the clueless one. People do not drive to a  chain store that is miles from San Francisco to buy wine when it is easy to purchase wine at many different locations in San Francisco. Many of those stores are within walking distance of where people live or a 5 minute drive. No need to drive 30 or 45 minutes to a store in Daly City.

Boxed wine was first introduced in the 1970s by the French as a means of distributing low quality wine destined for use in cooking sauces. It is still low quality wine. You can get better quality wine in bottles at low prices in California. There is a tremendous quantity of wine produced in California.

1 hour ago, Kmkub said:

Clever trick seeing as you are in Florida. They may or may not have it. Who cares? I can get decent quality wine many places without the taint of plastic lining of a box.

On 3/26/2022 at 5:36 PM, brisalta said:

I have never seen wine in a box in a wine store in San Francisco.

On 3/26/2022 at 9:35 PM, Kmkub said:

Boxed wine has been around for decades. At least 35 years.

19 hours ago, Kmkub said:

Go to BevMo. They carry Franzia boxed wine.

15 hours ago, Kmkub said:

I just opened Shipt and changed my address to Howard Street in SF. You can get boxed wine delivered in SF

15 hours ago, JimmyVWine said:

This discussion is silly. K&L on Harrison Street (among other locations) is one of the top wine retailers in the country.  And they sell wine in a box. End of story, full stop. Time to move on. 

13 hours ago, Kmkub said:

12 hours ago, SNJCruisers said:

12 hours ago, Kmkub said:

10 hours ago, brisalta said:

Many of those stores are within walking distance of where people live or a 5 minute drive. No need to drive 30 or 45 minutes to a store in Daly City.

Three different people on the thread have tried to convince brisalta that boxed wine is indeed available in SF.  Because of his sophisticated palate, he is blind to it being available at his local store and he only assumes that it's used by chefs to create sauces and doesn't realize that millions of people nationwide drink it from a box on a daily basis.  I brought up Total Wine since it's a nationwide chain of liquor products and the closest location was 7.6 miles away, which supposedly is 30-45 minutes away.  If it takes that long to drive under 8 miles, you better make that a 5 liter box. 😉

12 hours ago, brisalta said:

Clever trick seeing as you are in Florida. They may or may not have it. Who cares? I can get decent quality wine many places without the taint of plastic lining of a box.

I explained how I did it. I had 888 Howard Street in my Shipt app, because we used Shipt to get a liquor delivery when we were in SF last year. Once you change the address, the stores you can purchased from, change.  I can change my address in the app to anywhere in the country, and I can see what types of local stores they have.

14 hours ago, Akit said:

I would go for Crown Grill for the premium steaks, and sometimes do a surf and turf with a filet and pay extra for a lobster tail.  I always order the dessert sampler to end it.

But my last cruise a few months before the pandemic kicked in, I noticed the very last evening in the main dining room (lobster night), they offered premium steaks on the menu from Crown Grill; very limited selection of cuts, but was way cheaper than paying the cover charge at CG.

The last evening or the last formal night?

We have done two Princess cruises this year, and the final MDR menus were nothing special.

13 hours ago, cruzin4us said:

The last 2 times we've eaten in the Crown Grill we've been disappointed.    

The service just isn't up to par, the servers are rushing around but it seems like there is no continuity in everything.   

I order the fillet - definitely not prime, it wasn't tender

the next time I order surf and turf w/ rib eye.   The lobster was disgusting, it tasted like it had been boiling in salt water forever.   The rib eye wasn't evenly cut so the steak was well done on one end and rare on the other end.

We had another dinner scheduled but chose to cancel.

That's a shame. I'm sad to hear about the inconsistencies. The Black & Blue soup is my favorite soup. We were lucky the last two times, I guess.

47 minutes ago, Kmkub said:

The last evening or the last formal night?

We have done two Princess cruises this year, and the final MDR menus were nothing special.

My bad, second formal on second to last day on ten day cruise in main dining.  If you’re seeing the photo upside down, that’s what iPhone does.29DF2BF3-EA9A-448C-9FEA-31F465E33734.thumb.jpeg.6b01953dd7b376da52eafce22985fe59.jpeg

• Like 1