Bus to Southampton

Fishgirl01

Hi has anyone used the coach lately to Southampton, we are worried that if there are any covid cases on the coach, as testing is at port, will the whole coach be denied boarding. I know this has been the case in the past.  Just not sure if it would be prudent to get the train down.

7 hours ago, Issyalex said:

I understand if someone on the bus tests positive everyone on the bus cannot cruise and are bused back. IMO I think the train might be the safer option. 

The idea is to maximise your chance of actually getting on the ship which for me is minimising the chance of infection for weeks before the cruise plus either drive to the terminal or in my case have a private hire car. Plus regular LFT tests. Of course on public transport the chance of infection is greater but they can't stop you boarding. Or do I use public transport which is 2 rail journeys with less time near individuals than the private hire driver? 

There is still the chance of infection aboard as apparently the variant of the variant takes longer to give positive LFT results so more infected people boarding who don't know they are infected.

The severity of the disease is for most not a overriding concern but however mild it is your holiday is ruined.

• Like 1

Took the coach in February and the situation was anybody testing positive meant the whole coach was turned back, mask wearing was mandatory while on the coach and a negative test had to be provided before boarding, though the driver did not wear a mask, and the coach only had 22 people on , not sure if this was because of low passenger numbers or due to social distancing 

1 hour ago, davecttr said:

minimising the chance of infection for weeks before the cruise

Couldn't agree more but I'm not sure how "Plus regular LFT tests" help achieve that aim?

Edited by Pine Man

1 minute ago, davecttr said:

So that if you get a positive result within 14 days you can tell P&O

Not wishing to appear obtuse but all that achieves is being banned from your cruise and does nothing for your aim of - "to maximise your chance of actually getting on the ship which for me is minimising the chance of infection".

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Pine Man said:

Not wishing to appear obtuse but all that achieves is being banned from your cruise and does nothing for your aim of - "to maximise your chance of actually getting on the ship which for me is minimising the chance of infection".

IF you are going to get a positive result IMO it is better to know soonest rather than get to the terminal and then find out or test positive 48 hours before departure.

No point arguing about it, I will do what I am comfortable with. Others may have different opinions.

• Like 2

I am not an expert so I don't know the difference between Norovirus and Covid. But am led believe Norovirus can remain on furnishings for some time. If this is the case with Covid I would imagine that coach seats and chair's, sofa's etc on the ship would still carry some of this virus. Also it can take a while between contracting Covid and it actually being detectable.

3 minutes ago, Cruisemeister2002 said:

I am not an expert so I don't know the difference between Norovirus and Covid. But am led believe Norovirus can remain on furnishings for some time. If this is the case with Covid I would imagine that coach seats and chair's, sofa's etc on the ship would still carry some of this virus. Also it can take a while between contracting Covid and it actually being detectable.

Just checked on line

COVID - mainly spread by talking, coughs and sneezes

Smaller chance of surface transmission

- copper 4 hours

cardboard 1 day

plastic/stainless steel 3 days

wood 4 days

glass 5 days

note that the virus particles soon start dying so the danger deceases over time

NOROVIRUS

in vomit and faeces, mainly spread by contact

12 hours on hard surfaces

up to 12 days on contaminated carpet

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, davecttr said:

Just checked on line

COVID - mainly spread by talking, coughs and sneezes

Smaller chance of surface transmission

- copper 4 hours

cardboard 1 day

plastic/stainless steel 3 days

wood 4 days

glass 5 days

note that the virus particles soon start dying so the danger deceases over time

NOROVIRUS

in vomit and faeces, mainly spread by contact

12 hours on hard surfaces

up to 12 days on contaminated carpet

Copper 4 hours ? I'll get a job in the Met then and ask P&O if I get a discount for living in a cardboard box. Where's the best position for it as I want to be near the buffet and also nip in for a swift jar ?

• Haha 1

I found this on Evesway website.

Applicable for Cruiselink departures from 01 March 2022, Until further notice.

PASSENGER INFORMATION PRIOR TO YOUR FORTHCOMING CRUISELINK JOURNEY

As your cruise departure date is fast approaching, and in view of the Government’s recent relaxation of Covid rule restrictions, we feel it may be helpful, and advisable, to inform you of the safety measures we currently have in place to ensure you enjoy a safe and secure travel experience with Eavesway Cruiselink at this time.

Please note that from 01 March 2022 you will no longer be requestied to provide proof of a negative Covid test prior to boarding the coach.

Passengers travelling with P&O should ensure that they have completed and returned their on-line health declaration form to P&O and have received confirmation of its acceptance. You will still be required to comply with any test requirements the cruise line may require of you at the port prior to boarding your ship.

19 hours ago, Issyalex said:

I understand if someone on the bus tests positive everyone on the bus cannot cruise and are bused back. IMO I think the train might be the safer option. 

Is this still the case?

That is really worrying. I know we don't sail for months but I am ow getting twitchy as we are due to use the coach transfers and it appears our chosen cabin may not be available so we may be moved. 

Not really the best build up to a cruise .... can't say I am excited at the moment.

We did an lft test 30minutes before boarding the coach , and then hoped that all the others on board tested negative at Southampton. Have to say it does nothing to enhance the holiday experience waiting for all the coach passengers to get the all clear, hopefully by the time our next P and O cruise in July comes along this rule may have been reviewed, The only definite way to be sure is travelling in your own car

On 3/27/2022 at 4:05 PM, Gimpfacemctavish said:

I found this on Evesway website.

Applicable for Cruiselink departures from 01 March 2022, Until further notice.

PASSENGER INFORMATION PRIOR TO YOUR FORTHCOMING CRUISELINK JOURNEY

As your cruise departure date is fast approaching, and in view of the Government’s recent relaxation of Covid rule restrictions, we feel it may be helpful, and advisable, to inform you of the safety measures we currently have in place to ensure you enjoy a safe and secure travel experience with Eavesway Cruiselink at this time.

Please note that from 01 March 2022 you will no longer be requestied to provide proof of a negative Covid test prior to boarding the coach.

Passengers travelling with P&O should ensure that they have completed and returned their on-line health declaration form to P&O and have received confirmation of its acceptance. You will still be required to comply with any test requirements the cruise line may require of you at the port prior to boarding your ship.

Don’t forget eavesway are not the preferred coach travel,I’m booked with p&o who use inter cruise and I will check but sure their need a negative test before boarding the coach..

• Like 1

9 hours ago, keithhutch said:

Don’t forget eavesway are not the preferred coach travel,I’m booked with p&o who use inter cruise and I will check but sure their need a negative test before boarding the coach..

Correct ,lft negative test required via mobile phone prior to boarding

After much research and debate, we have cancelled the bus and booked the train, we were worried about someone else testing positive at the port, and all other passengers on bus denied boarding, no matter how careful we have been for the 2 weeks prior to the holiday.  We are having to send the luggage on ahead to ship as my husband is blind and it’s very difficult to manage changing trains with cases.  That’s why we like the bus it’s less stressful for us.

• Like 1

Can fully understand your reason, for me normally the coach journey is my relaxation start time and to let somebody else deal with the long trip to Southampton, this last time was not relaxing at all as you are in the lap of the gods and the prospect of not boarding is a constant concern, were hoping this rule is relaxed by July or we may have to drive and cancel the coach