Celebrity Millenium June 3rd to Alaska

MrsS471

Hello,

My husband and I are beginning a land tour on May 28th and the cruise on June 3rd.  Has anyone been to Alaska during this timeframe?  Just wondering what the weather will be like for packing purposes.  I always OVERPACK !  Thanks.

Have been and who knows? It could be quite chilly and then again- it could be very summery. I suggest that before packing you check the extended weather forecast. I was there in early May and Anchorage was in the 80s- San Diego was in the low 60s. It SHOULD be pleasant and late springlike but who knows. Certainly you will want layers- and it will be chilly at night on the water, no matter how it is during the day.  And rainy- raincoat, waterproof shoes, rain hat or hood. 

And agree- this should move over to the Alaska board where there are lots of discussions about this. Look under ports of call. 

Edited by 5waldos

Where are you starting your land portion?  I live in Fairbanks, Alaska, and in late May -- early June we usually are wearing shorts.  In the Denali area it will be cooler as that mountain influences local weather patterns.  Denali also can be windy.  And Anchorage tends to be cooler than Fairbanks even though they are further south; they have more maritime influence on their weather.  The month of May in SE Alaska tends to be one of the dryer months in terms of rain.  

Layers are definitely the key.  And the outer layer needs to be waterproof -- not water resistant.  Even though we live in Alaska we have taken at least seven Alaska cruises, and the dress on board will definitely be more casual than other itineraries.  We did an Antarctica cruise several years ago and that on that itinerary dress was also definitely more casual.  Very few will be dressed up for evening chic night.

Review the trip reports which are at the top of the Cruise Critic Alaska board.  A number have photos which may be of help.