All Ocean Victory Alaska 2022 Cruises

28 minutes ago, NavyVeteran said:

The first cruise from Sitka to Vancouver arrives in Vancouver on 05/28/2022. You may have to wait until that cruise arrives before you can get a definite answer to your question.

I have asked my TA about this.  I will post the answer on CC when she gets it for me.

DON

• 3 weeks later...

We're also booked on the August 20th cruise from Vancouver to Sitka.  We're also doing the pre-cruise trip aboard the Rocky Mountaineer, Calgary to Vancouver.  Very excited about both!  I'm wondering if AQ will suggest a packing list for their expedition cruise.  We were told that they would provide rain suits and that we would each have a locker to store our boots, etc. Looking forward to the adventures!

On 4/25/2022 at 6:09 AM, Babcia7 said:

We're also booked on the August 20th cruise from Vancouver to Sitka.  We're also doing the pre-cruise trip aboard the Rocky Mountaineer, Calgary to Vancouver.  Very excited about both!  I'm wondering if AQ will suggest a packing list for their expedition cruise.  We were told that they would provide rain suits and that we would each have a locker to store our boots, etc. Looking forward to the adventures!

I would love more info on the "rain suits" and "boots". Do they provide both? Are they only used for excursions? Where did you get this info?

We only have one excursion booked so far but it does have the possibility of getting wet as it explores glaciers.

The on board booking agent (on the American Queen) told us that rain suits would be provided on the ship, but she suggested that we bring our own because they would probably be a better fit.  She did not say that the ship would provide boots.  It would be nice to have a suggested packing list from AQ, but I've viewed lists from other expedition cruise companies and I imagine they would be similar. 

3 hours ago, Babcia7 said:

The on board booking agent (on the American Queen) told us that rain suits would be provided on the ship, but she suggested that we bring our own because they would probably be a better fit.  She did not say that the ship would provide boots.  It would be nice to have a suggested packing list from AQ, but I've viewed lists from other expedition cruise companies and I imagine they would be similar. 

We need AQ to tell us what they provide and what they don't. Boots are probably the most important question, since a pair of boots would fill a suitcase. Without this information, we would not know what to bring.

I went on a Hurtigruten cruise to Antartica pre-COVID. They provided boots and rain jacket and told us to bring our own waterproof pants. The boots were absolutely required for the Antartica landings - I'm not sure they would be required for landings in Alaska. Also Antartica had requirements to clean and sanitize the boots between landings - Alaska would not have the same requirements.

2 hours ago, NavyVeteran said:

We need AQ to tell us what they provide and what they don't. Boots are probably the most important question, since a pair of boots would fill a suitcase. Without this information, we would not know what to bring.

I went on a Hurtigruten cruise to Antartica pre-COVID. They provided boots and rain jacket and told us to bring our own waterproof pants. The boots were absolutely required for the Antartica landings - I'm not sure they would be required for landings in Alaska. Also Antartica had requirements to clean and sanitize the boots between landings - Alaska would not have the same requirements.

Unless we are going to be doing wet landings we should not need boots.  I have been on several adventure cruises and none of them supplied waterproof pants.  With regard to a rain jacket and pants, remember that most of the ports and places that we will visit are in the southern AK rain forest.  According to my climate ap, the average number of days with precipitation in that area is July is 12 -14 days per month.

DON

Need some help from those on Ocean Victory this summer. We get in to Sitka on August 30 and need transportation from the port to the airport. According to google it is 4.9 miles. AQV is charging $49 per person. I'm thinking a taxi might be cheaper but there is not much online as Sitka is so small. I read that they don't have Uber so that is out.

What have you found? I would be willing to pre book if I could find something reliable.

1 hour ago, adstz said:

Need some help from those on Ocean Victory this summer. We get in to Sitka on August 30 and need transportation from the port to the airport. According to google it is 4.9 miles. AQV is charging $49 per person. I'm thinking a taxi might be cheaper but there is not much online as Sitka is so small. I read that they don't have Uber so that is out.

What have you found? I would be willing to pre book if I could find something reliable.

Check out the Sitka bus line.  There is a public transport button in Google maps.  The fare is $2.00 or $1.00 if you are a senior.

DON

Edited by donaldsc
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The food ( quality & preparation) has been below that of any of the 50+ cruises I've taken. It is much different than on the AQV river boats. The specialty restaurant was never open and there are no alternatives for meals. Room service is only available during dining hours and the options are the same as the dining room.  The staff is wonderful and the shop is very clean.

• 2 weeks later...

I am so glad that you enjoyed your trip! I am only posting again because I have a few questions. I agree that the ship & service were outstanding. I am curious if the food quality was better on the inaugural cruise when John Wagoner was onboard. Do you think having the travel agents as guests influenced the menu? By the end of our cruise many people were joking about the food, especially the soups & fish. Was the specialty restaurant open on your sailing ? It was not available on our trip. Also, we did not have a culinary ambassador.

The spa was only open on the last 3 days of our trip so we didn't have an opportunity to use it. Did the Ocean Victory get to the glacier on the first cruise? The jet boat tour to the glacier ($399pp) was fantastic and we were glad we did it since it was our only opportunity to see a glacier.  Unfortunately, we were not able to do anything but rush to see the glacier because the shore excursion lead told the captain the incorrect destination at first, which forced us to try to beat the tides. I was so looking forward to having a chance to hear the whale sounds & speak to a whale researcher, but this was not offered on the 2nd cruise. The expedition team did great presentations, but we did not do any " research". I enjoyed the observation areas that were opened occasionally. 

We also loved the small ship experience, but at $12k we expected more. Our cruise was only at half capacity which made the cruise more enjoyable. I love the concept & hope it is successful, but the product must meet what is advertised. Many items in the brochure were not provided.

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know what hotel is the host hotel for the Ocean Victory cruises starting in Vancouver? We get in late in the afternoon (3:15 arrival at airport) and I need to research how to get to the hotel the quickest. I'm presuming we need to do a COVID test that afternoon at the hotel so trying to get there asap.

Thanks.

(Sailing on the August 20 Vancouver to Sitka)

4 hours ago, adstz said:

Does anyone know what hotel is the host hotel for the Ocean Victory cruises starting in Vancouver? We get in late in the afternoon (3:15 arrival at airport) and I need to research how to get to the hotel the quickest. I'm presuming we need to do a COVID test that afternoon at the hotel so trying to get there asap.

Thanks.

It's the Hyatt Regency, according to the info I received. 

5 hours ago, adstz said:

Thanks.

If you have any other questions or issues w your cruise just call Ocean Victory.  They have been very responsive the few times I have called them and the wait times have been reasonable.  In general I find that w any cruise questions the telephone is my best way of getting answers.

DON

We start our Sitka to Vancouver tomorrow, June 27!!!  Of course we don’t board the ship until the afternoon of the 28th, but we are really excited for this trip.  All we need now is for Delta Airlines to NOT cancel our flights!!!  🤞🤞🤞🤞

• Like 1

8 hours ago, BJHeard549 said:

We start our Sitka to Vancouver tomorrow, June 27!!!  Of course we don’t board the ship until the afternoon of the 28th, but we are really excited for this trip.  All we need now is for Delta Airlines to NOT cancel our flights!!!  🤞🤞🤞🤞

Hope your flights are on time!  Have a great trip, and please post your review when you return!

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/8/2022 at 12:07 PM, Missouri travel girl said:

I agree Jar, i also want to know about the speciality restaurant. 

I just returned from my cruise.  There was no "specialty" restaurant.  There was one restaurant that served breakfast and lunch and one that served all 3 meals.  The food choices at the "specialty" restaurant were the same as the main restaurant but with more limited choices.  One nice thing about the meal choices that you could get lobster every night as a meal or a side dish if you wished.  The food was good but not great.

We did have a wonderful time on the cruise.  Feel free to ask any other questions if you wish.

DON

Edited by donaldsc