More Fun With Princess--Shore Excursions

Bruin Steve

So, we've got a port stop in San Diego--fairly close to home, been there many, many times.  My wife wants to go to the Safari Park.  We intended to go last time that way--but it was raining.  Originally thought we'd Uber there and back and pre-purchase discount tickets through AAA.  But, with rising gas prices, there is some uncertainty with Uber fares and availability...So, why risk it--we'll keep it simple and use Princess' Shoe Excursions.  Here's where it gets fun...

Princess has this one:

San Diego Zoo Safari Park On Your Own
7 hours | San Diego | SAN-185      4.4 avg guest rating
Okay...

But, then it goes on to say:
Excursion times
 11:30AM - 5:30PM 20 tickets remaining
Adult: $139.95 | Child: $129.95

Wait a second...11:30AM to 5:30PM is only SIX hours, right?

Okay, let's go to the "Excursion Details":

Depart From Ship For San Diego Wild Animal Park

Transport type:   Motorcoach    Transport Capacity:  47  Travel time:  01:00

Arrive At Wild Animal Park

Time at site:  06:00    Free time at site:  360

Re-Board Motorcoach For Return To Ship

Transport type:  Motorcoach   Transport Capacity:  47     Travel time:  01:00

Wait another second...1 hour drive, six hours at site, 1 hour drive back to ship...THAT adds up to EIGHT hours!!!

Time to call Princess (Yes, the definition of insanity, etc.)...First person I talk to keeps saying that "Shore Excursions NEVER give you times"...Huh??? Yes they do!

I get transferred to someone in Shore Excursions.  She had no clue either. Said "You're right, it doesn't add up"...So, what's the answer?  She didn't know...said to ask at the Shore Excursions desk when I get on the ship...and don't book it until you get there.  I explain that we have 7:00 dinner reservations that night...and it would be nice to be able to plan our time BEFORE we're onboard...and, we need to figure out back-up plans in San Diego...if the answer isn't good for us.

So, I could see quickly that was going nowhere.  I'm taking a risk and booked the shorex anyway...I guess we are likely leaving the ship at 9:30, 10:30 or 11:30 and we're returning either 5:30, 6:30 or 7:30, all give or take a little. We MAY be eating dinner with or without a reservation starting at some time between 7:00 and 10:00 pm.  We may or may not get to the show that night.

Why can't Princess get its act together?

• Haha 1

I’m surprised that as a Southern Californian you fail to factor in the vagaries of traffic.  Sounds to me that they are giving you 6 hours (360 mins) on site and playing let’s guess what the roads will be like today.  It’s ~33 miles point to point so 30 min each way would be wildly optimistic, think crazy, while an hour should be a reasonable guess but not a sure thing.  Looks like you will be scheduled to depart at 10:30, but the BIG bus probably will take a few minutes to load so more or less 10:45.  Then after all the stragglers get back you will leave the park around 5:45 for your return.  Seven hours was overly optimistic, eight allows a little buffer but I think you can figure no earlier than  a 6:30 return.  By the way is your transportation worth $150 because that’s what you are paying.  I might price alternate means of transport.

Priced it all...

Pre-booking an Uber:  $65 each way...add a $10 tip each way for the driver...and it's $150...

Car Rentals:  $90 and change for Dollar, $95 and change for Avis for cheapest car...plus add gas costs--say 4 gallons minimum at $6 per gallon......But, it's Sunday and closer rental offices are closed, so you also have to Uber both ways to airport and figure in that cost plus extra hassle of those trips plus trip to gas station to refill...

And you really can't figure on when you're leaving or getting back...because it really doesn't clearly state anything...and no one at Princess knows...

Maybe post this as the specific name of the excursion either here or on the ports forum? Perhaps someone who has already done the excursion could offer their experience? I agree with you....I have often seen mixed information on excursions and you know you'll never get an answer from anyone on Princess that is reliable.... 🙄

Good luck.

If your ship is presently doing the same itinerary, and if there is a Live From thread, post this question to that thread, asking a current passenger for help.  Presumably some passengers will have taken same excursion and can give you first-hand info.

Of course, this being Princess, the correct answer is "maybe" and "it depends."  Six hours on site plus two hours transportation equals six hours over-all.  Not all the loons are in the zoo.

20 minutes ago, Mike45LC said:

If your ship is presently doing the same itinerary, and if there is a Live From thread, post this question to that thread, asking a current passenger for help.  Presumably some passengers will have taken same excursion and can give you first-hand info.

No...It's doing the Mexican Riviera, then a couple of LA round trip California cruises--both of which visit San Diego--but shorter hours--arriving at 11:00 am...But what may make sense  would be Princess having it screwed up because of those cruises...it would explain why OUR cruise has us arriving in San Diego at 7:00 am, but they don't show the shorex leaving until 11:30.  You MIGHT do a shorter version and wait until 11:30 to leave if the ship is only in port starting at 11:00 am!!!

If it’s Sunday the Safari Park will be very crowded.  It opens at 9; the earlier you get there, the better.  
Depending on when you are going, it can get really hot in the afternoon.  Best to experience it in the morning.  

We’ve been going there since the place opened.   Six hours in the Park is a long time to spend, probably too long, frankly.  

Seems like Uber would get you there when it opens, and let you leave whenever you wanted.  

Edited by LynnSD

8 minutes ago, Dee_Jay said:

Bus - $2.50 each way, plus a couple blocks of extra walking.

That's what we did when we went to the San Diego Zoo last month.

OP very clearly stated the wild Animal Safari Park, not the zoo.  Zoo is in town near the port, Safari Park is much more distant 

3 minutes ago, wheezedr said:

OP very clearly stated the wild Animal Safari Park, not the zoo.  Zoo is in town near the port, Safari Park is much more distant 

Sorry, I thought the Safari Park was near the Zoo.  Ignore my comment.