Alaskan cruise with a stop Canada with 10 year old misdemeanor (non DUI)

Jacouser18

Thanks for the update, Jac- as I'm sure you know, there hasn't been a lot of post covid/post 2018 updates on this topic from actual cruisers, with before and after reports. Did you use passport and how far in advance did you do online checkin?

10 hours ago, Jacouser18 said:

I dont know if this is entirely true. The Royal crew member I spoke with said the manifest is submitted 4 days before arrival. Therefore you shouldnt have any issue boarding.

The manifest is submitted but like njhorseman said, the line itself isn't privy to the NCIC checks ran by the immigration folks in both the US and Canada.  

On the US side, when a person boards a ship with an active and extraditable warrant, they are permitted to sail but are arrested upon first US port.  I saw this regularly in Key West.  Same concept goes for Canada.  They might take action upon arrival in Canada if something on the NCIC record makes a person ineligible to enter their country.  Might being the key word.  

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Jacouser18 said:

I dont know if this is entirely true. The Royal crew member I spoke with said the manifest is submitted 4 days before arrival. Therefore you shouldnt have any issue boarding.

BTW - I read njhorseman's post, and based on my experience in the industry, what he posted, is entirely true.

The requirement to send the manifest is 96 hrs or immediately after departure from the port prior to Canada. If they send it 96 hrs before, if the manifest changes, they must update it after the last port.

As njhorseman noted, the cruise lines do not have access to convictions databases, so they have no data to prevent pax boarding that may be ineligible in any port, not just Canada. The cruise line T&C most likely make reference to pax being responsible to ensure they meet the requirements of all ports.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Aquahound said:

The manifest is submitted but like njhorseman said, the line itself isn't privy to the NCIC checks ran by the immigration folks in both the US and Canada.  

On the US side, when a person boards a ship with an active and extraditable warrant, they are permitted to sail but are arrested upon first US port.  I saw this regularly in Key West.  Same concept goes for Canada.  They might take action upon arrival in Canada if something on the NCIC record makes a person ineligible to enter their country.  Might being the key word.  

Nobody was talking about active warrants. Jacouser was posting about a 10+ year old arrest that had been long since resolved. - And yes, anybody with an active warrant in the U.S. who takes a cruise is giving the authorities 7+ days to know where they will be, lol. Most of the social media posts referencing handcuffed passengers on arrival... that's what it was. (Including child support! If you owe back child support, don't be taking a cruise until you take care of your kids!)

9 hours ago, imobannon said:

Nobody was talking about active warrants. Jacouser was posting about a 10+ year old arrest that had been long since resolved.

Yes, I know that.  Context is key.  I mentioned warrants as an example of how background checks come to fruition at particular ports.  

• Like 1

On 7/22/2022 at 10:51 PM, Heidi13 said:

BTW - I read njhorseman's post, and based on my experience in the industry, what he posted, is entirely true.

The requirement to send the manifest is 96 hrs or immediately after departure from the port prior to Canada. If they send it 96 hrs before, if the manifest changes, they must update it after the last port.

As njhorseman noted, the cruise lines do not have access to convictions databases, so they have no data to prevent pax boarding that may be ineligible in any port, not just Canada. The cruise line T&C most likely make reference to pax being responsible to ensure they meet the requirements of all ports.

As I understand it if a cruise line receives notification from the Canadian authorities that a passenger is persona non grata then the cruise line would not let that passenger go ashore. If the passenger in the future tried to book a cruise with a Canadian itinerary would the cruise line then not allow the booking unless the passenger showed documentation that the issue had been resolved? 

5 hours ago, sparks1093 said:

As I understand it if a cruise line receives notification from the Canadian authorities that a passenger is persona non grata then the cruise line would not let that passenger go ashore. If the passenger in the future tried to book a cruise with a Canadian itinerary would the cruise line then not allow the booking unless the passenger showed documentation that the issue had been resolved? 

The cruise line only receives information that CBSA wishes to conduct a face to face interview with specific pax. Even after the meeting they are only advise the pax can go ashore, or not. No reasons are provided, which could be many, not just convictions.

Whether the cruise line would accept a subsequent booking, unfortunately I have no knowledge/experience, as I wasn't involved in that part of the business.

• Like 1

On 7/22/2022 at 7:15 PM, imobannon said:

Thanks for the update, Jac- as I'm sure you know, there hasn't been a lot of post covid/post 2018 updates on this topic from actual cruisers, with before and after reports. Did you use passport and how far in advance did you do online checkin?

They checked Passports before getting on the ship but not for any of the ports or leaving. I believe our group checked in online 2 weeks in advance.