LAX to San Pedro? Best to use Ship Transfers?

Guardsy

1 hour ago, hubble said:

I don't usually use Princess transfers, but I booked one for our cruise this upcoming Sunday.  My husband is disabled - he can walk short distances only.  We are traveling with his transport wheelchair, plus a walker that we are bringing as checked luggage in a travel bag.  Due to his disabilities, I opted for Princess trf with the assumption that it would be easy to pull the luggage off the carousel and easily turn it over to Princess in the same vicinity for the transfer to the ship.  There is no way I could haul the luggage & his mobility aids myself if we were to take a Uber or super shuttle.   Is this assumption correct, that princess will be right there next to baggage claim to hand over our luggage to?    

Yes, at LAX they were right in the middle of the baggage area. Rolled my bags over and they took them. They use a truck to transport the luggage to the ship, the next time you will see it is in your cabin. There was a couple with a woman in a wheelchair and the man was carrying some sort of oxygen machine(?) and the transport reps were very helpful to them.

19 minutes ago, sboh said:

Yes, at LAX they were right in the middle of the baggage area. Rolled my bags over and they took them. They use a truck to transport the luggage to the ship, the next time you will see it is in your cabin. There was a couple with a woman in a wheelchair and the man was carrying some sort of oxygen machine(?) and the transport reps were very helpful to them.

Thanks sboh for the information.  I appreciate your first hand knowledge.  This sounds like it is just what I was expecting.  For me to not have to see the luggage again until it is in our cabin is worth a lot more than the $34 each for the transfer ... and even possibly any long waits we may have from LAX to the pier on the bus. 

30 minutes ago, MalteseFred said:

Are you able to handle your own luggage/bags and ok with using public transport? Buses/Light rail?

Public transportation isn't really an option for LAX to the port. It's along way & knowing what I know(I live in LA) I would take the shuttle

34 minutes ago, MalteseFred said:

I have lived in LA 31 years and have taken public transport to San Pedro or Long Beach (depending which cruise-line I am going on) literally scores of times without incident. Sure some neighborhoods that the trains/buses pass through leave a lot to be desired for. Distance from LAX to the port has got absolutely nothing to do with it and YES, public transportation IS an actual and VERY VIABLE option. Out the terminal at LAX and straight onto a bus and literally having the bus stop you right across the street from the cruise-ship terminal in San Pedro.

Now if the OP is mobility-challenged or cannot handle their own bags, well, that is another matter.

Thanks,

Fred

We di it once (had to have someone take us to the bus station to get a direct - sort of bus).  We are fit  & take only carry on & found it to be a long, crowded, & slightly inconvenient trip due to  little luggage (had to put it on our lap to make room for people)

SBOH...was there any place accessible from baggage claim to sit and wait for pickup?  I have an arthritic knee and have a limit on how long I can stand.  Some posts have said that you can sit on the luggage carousels, but I would have a hard time getting up from that low of a position. 

We will have no problem handling our luggage or boarding the bus.

1 hour ago, JudithLynne said:

SBOH...was there any place accessible from baggage claim to sit and wait for pickup?  I have an arthritic knee and have a limit on how long I can stand.  Some posts have said that you can sit on the luggage carousels, but I would have a hard time getting up from that low of a position. 

We will have no problem handling our luggage or boarding the bus.

There might be benches outside but you may have to deal with exhaust fumes out there. One of the porters brought a wheel chair for a woman so if your bus is delayed like mine was maybe you could ask for one. They were very nice I’m sure it would not be a problem.