How early can I book train after cruise in Civitavechia?

artvlay

In September we will be getting off cruise in Civitavechia. We are heading to Rome Termini to then take a train to Venice. 

The ship,  Odyssey of the seas is due to arrive at 5am. I am trying to determine what time I should buy the Rome to Venice ticket. Will a 10am train leave enough time to get off the ship, get to the Civitavechia train and then the train to Rome.

Thank you 

Probably.

Assuming you are getting to Termini also by train I would aim for the first Frecce from Civitavecchia, which on the current schedule is at 9:16, which would connect to a 10:35 Frecce to Venice, arriving at 14:34.  I think that's as safe as you're going to get, if a ship that is supposed to arrive at 5 AM isn't mostly disembarked by 9 AM something has gone very wrong.

But I wouldn't buy now unless you're sure this is the train combination you want.  Usually the June schedule update doesn't present many changes but this year is different, coming out of Covid.  During the pandemic the schedules were reduced and they haven't come fully back yet, so there may be additional options if you wait a couple of months.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, euro cruiser said:

Probably.

Assuming you are getting to Termini also by train I would aim for the first Frecce from Civitavecchia, which on the current schedule is at 9:16, which would connect to a 10:35 Frecce to Venice, arriving at 14:34.  I think that's as safe as you're going to get, if a ship that is supposed to arrive at 5 AM isn't mostly disembarked by 9 AM something has gone very wrong.

But I wouldn't buy now unless you're sure this is the train combination you want.  Usually the June schedule update doesn't present many changes but this year is different, coming out of Covid.  During the pandemic the schedules were reduced and they haven't come fully back yet, so there may be additional options if you wait a couple of months.

Thank you for the good advice. Its appreciated. 

I am trying to figure out how long it will take from the time we step off the ship to get into the Civitavechia train station. 

That's hard to predict so I think you have to assume the worst and disembark based on that.

In most cases you will be forced to take a port bus to the Largo della Pace exit, where you can get another bus for the short trip (1 mile) to the train station.  Each of these bus rides is only five minutes long but the unknown factors are how quickly the bus arrives and how long it takes to load.  Maybe I'm overly risk averse but I think I'd aim to be off the ship at 8 AM for a 9:16 train.  You'll most likely wind up cooling your heels at the station for quite a while but to me that's better than sweating the entire way, wondering if you're going to make it in time.  You can slide into Italian culture and have a caffè and a cornetto at the station bar while you wait.

Edited by euro cruiser
  • Thanks 1

A local guide recently posted info. on Facebook concerning shuttle buses from the port. The Largo della Pace bus stop is temporarily closed. The shuttle goes to a nearby stop called Varco Vespucci. Trip is 10/15 minutes. Mandatory to wear KN95 mask and have proof of vaccination to ride the shuttle. There is now a second bus route that goes to the train station for a small fee of 3 or 4 Euros. https://civitavecchia.portmobility.it/en/shuttles

Largo della Pace was closed while there was no cruise traffic and the lot was used for Covid testing and vaccination.  I would expect that by the time cruising gets back up and running, barring another widespread variant, that Largo della Pace will be returned to its prior use.

2 hours ago, artvlay said:

If I got a shuttle or vehicle to take us to Rome do you have to get on the buses?

In the past cars were able to pick you up at the ship.  I'm not sure if anything has changed but the car service companies will know.  Reach out to a couple for quotes and see what they tell you.

2 hours ago, artvlay said:

If I got a shuttle or vehicle to take us to Rome do you have to get on the buses?

I have just organised for a private car with Romecabs to do a transfer when we disembark our ship mid-August. I was instructed to make sure I look for them dockside just off the ship and not to go out of the port area. I suggest you check with any private car company though I think most will have permission to come to the ship area.

I am not sure about the shuttle. 

You only need to buy a ticket CIv to Venice St. Lucia.   You will get a combo ticket with a change at Termini.   You can get a good look at the current schedules and various train options by going to the trenitalia site   https://www.trenitalia.com/en.html

I do not think that the schedule will go as far out as Sept  but you can at least take a look at the current listed schedule.  

We would not consider a bus or limo to termini.  Take the train all the way.

Edited by iancal
  • Thanks 1