Currency Exchange onboard

joemccartney722

Hello! I am going on my first Viking Ocean Cruise in July and have questions around currency exchange.  Traveling from US and stopping in ports in Norway and UK.  My understanding is that with Brexit, euro is no longer accepted, that UK is now using pounds (again).  I do try to use a credit card when possible however outside excursion, tips and other expenses do require cash.  Wondering if 1) Viking does currency exchange on their ships? 2) Are the fees reasonable if they do?  Any insights would be welcome.

40 minutes ago, joemccartney722 said:

Hello! I am going on my first Viking Ocean Cruise in July and have questions around currency exchange.  Traveling from US and stopping in ports in Norway and UK.  My understanding is that with Brexit, euro is no longer accepted, that UK is now using pounds (again).  I do try to use a credit card when possible however outside excursion, tips and other expenses do require cash.  Wondering if 1) Viking does currency exchange on their ships? 2) Are the fees reasonable if they do?  Any insights would be welcome.

Viking does not change any monies on board anywhere.  However if you have a local currency in large denominations they will exchange that for the smaller coins for tips and such.  Go to Guest Services on Deck 1.  Sounds like you are on Midnight Sun?  In Norway-Scotland-England - we got a minimal amount of Norwegian Kroners for the tips at the Bergen airport and used credit cards for purchases in Norway.  It is very expensive there.  In the UK we used US dollars for tips and never had time for shopping/eating out.

9 minutes ago, downsmead said:

You may find dollars will be accepted as a tip but rarely will shops accept them for purchases. The U.K. never used Euros, has always been sterling -GBP.

And several years ago UK banks stopped changing US$,  A shock as I have been going there to see family all my life.  If you have US currency you have to change it at Marks & Spencers money launderers or the UK Post Office.  Sad our currency is seen as a bad thing..

I'm in the UK and wondering why people think tipping in US dollars is acceptable?  If I visit the US would someone in the service industry happily accept my currency?  

There are many countries where the dollar is seen as a good option and preferred (been there done it) but not in the UK.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, joemccartney722 said:

Thanks for info and good  to know that UK does accept US dollars! Actually going on British Isle on the Venus. 

Us too!  8/12/22…we did order pounds sterling from Wells Fargo…they delivered it to our door via Fed Ex…large bills though…we will need to buy mints as soon as we get there…still need to get Kroner for Norway

11 hours ago, Jim Avery said:

And several years ago UK banks stopped changing US$,  A shock as I have been going there to see family all my life.  If you have US currency you have to change it at Marks & Spencers money launderers or the UK Post Office.  Sad our currency is seen as a bad thing..

Large branches of Tesco and Sainsbury supermarkets have bureau de change desks. Most towns have a bureau de change. Banks stopped handling all non UK currency, not just dollars, partly due to money laundering legislation 

12 hours ago, joemccartney722 said:

Thanks for info and good  to know that UK does accept US dollars! Actually going on British Isle on the Venus. 

We don't. Tipping is not routine in the UK, if you're going to tip, do so in GB£, tips in dollars will probably reside in the kitchen junk drawer, unless the person has enough foreign currency to make a trip to a bureau de change worth the hassle. For me I only bother if the amount is the equivilent of over £20, or I was going there to get cash for a holiday. 

Using the local currency is basic good manners

• Like 2

Tipping is tricky and while one should always try to tip in local currency it is sometimes difficult … we have been on cruises where more than seven different currencies were in play.  
Generally the cruise director will address money issues at the evening briefing (rivers) and port talks (oceans).  There are many ports where dollars are welcome but they will generally know … and where to get local currency if needed.  
For pounds and euros we make a stop at the currency exchange in our airport and get an assortment of bills specifically with tipping in mind.  They are happy to give us smaller denominations which are easier to work with.  It’s nice to have it before you go … easy to tip the driver who picks you up at the airport!  
in Norway, other than tipping you will use a credit card … it’s that expensive and everyone uses them for just about everything!

Why would having to use several currencies be an issue? It's a routine part of travel. 

Being British, and not from a tipping culture, we only get extra cash for tips if it's routine for locals in a country to tip, eg USA. For Norway we just take a small amount for incidentals and use cards. 

The main thing to be aware of is that not everywhere takes American Express. 

4 hours ago, Let Me Travel! said:

I didn't think about apple pay...good idea!  I'm planning on bringing AMEX and VISA, but apple pay would actually be easier and more secure.

Just to say that Amex is not widely accepted anymore in the U.K. (too high rates charged to the stores that use it), VISA is ok though. ApplePay is very common these days.