Anyone ever been to Xel-Ha from a cruise???

Jzx1103

This place seems fun for us and the kids but its on the mainland between Playa Del Carmen and Tulum. I don't see cruiseline offering a tour. Wondering if anyone know of any tour companies in Cozumel that offer it (park tickets + transportation). Our ship is docked at Cozumel from 7am to 6pm so it seems like its plenty of time.

I looked into doing this, but from everything I have read you need at minimum one full day to see it all. Between the port, ferry, drive, and limited time, you may get 3-4 hours there. That may be a best case scenario. We want to see it, but it would be a trip to Cancun for us to do it.

• 2 weeks later...

Xel-Ha is AMAZING although I didn't do it from a cruise ship but from a land vacation. I would say you could get value from a few hours there (Xcaret is another story - that place is huge and you would miss the best part which is the evening show). The snorkeling is easy and nice, the water is clear, and there are several other fun things to do - zipline, jump off a cliff into the water, float on tubes through mangroves. It was also all-inclusive when we went so that is nice to have food and drinks (non-alcoholic) available to you while you're there. I remember the fruit juice in the dining area tasting incredible (fresh!). The biggest concern to me would be the ferry to the mainland and being dependent on it to get back to the ship on time, plus waves & seasickness. 

I agree the parks are great but I would only do them during a mainland vacation, or perhaps a land vacation where time isn’t of the essence.  Xcaret, I agree you wouldn’t get your full value but maybe Xel-Ha if you are willing to compromise.

IF I was doing a mainland excursion it would have to be through the ship, otherwise you are on your own for coordinating ferry times and other transport - which pier you dock at figures significantly into this. Mainland excursions through the ship use chartered ferries. I have seen ships have to wait too many times for people on the mainland excursions. If you have made independent arrangements you are on your own.

Edited by c-leg5