Trip Interruption WITH stop-over

dandee2

Hi all,

I have a strange question about travel insurance. It involve a stopover (not a layover). For the purpose of the example here is my dilema.

- Traveling from Montréal (YUL) to Miami (MIA)
- Stayover of 5 days in Miami
- Then flying to Barbados for 10 day trip (1 day pre-cruise, 7 day cruise, 2 days post-cruise).
- Return Barbados-Miami-Montreal (just layover on the way back).

What if I test positif for Covid before taking my flight Miami-Barbados? Is it considered as a trip interruption? What happen with my lodging in Barbados (prepaid) ? I understand I will be covered for quarantine and meals in Miami, etc. But the rest of the trip? Refunded via the travel insurance? The two companies I contacted don't seems very informed about the answere

Manulife seems to say no. Same for Desjardins

This is directly from Steves website at tripinsurancestore.com

• Trip Interruption Insurance coverage:
    You, a close family member or a traveling companion gets hurt or sick during your trip and you have to return home early. Before the trip it’s trip cancellation. During the trip it’s trip interruption. Our plans provide coverage for the unused value of your trip and the cost of one-way airfare up to the plan’s limit.

However, this is for US insurance. I'm not in a position to confirm that in Canada, Trip Interruption coverage is the same. I would interpret your scenario as though all nonrefundable costs would be reimbursable thru the insurance. 

What is the same are people on the phone. They will not tell you what is, is not, will, or will be covered for liability reasons. Whomever sold you the insurance should be able to provide some guidance since they got a commission off of the sale.

Edited by klfrodo

Hi all,

I contacted 2 more insurance company and they are saying the same as you. It looked like the first agent did not understand my question at all.

To make it simple: Trip interruption can happen anywhere or at anytime during travel. If you test positive and cannot cruise (and loose the cruise and post-cruise hotel), the insurance will cover the cost and bring you home.

The Insurance will not let you do your quarantine and permit you to continue your journey afterward.

1 hour ago, dandee2 said:

To make it simple: Trip interruption can happen anywhere or at anytime during travel. If you test positive and cannot cruise (and loose the cruise and post-cruise hotel), the insurance will cover the cost and bring you home.

I'm sure you know this but just to be sure we're all on the same page and for people reading this and are new to travel insurance. Your comment of " the insurance will cover the cost and bring you home" is a little misleading.  The insurance company "may" (if you submit all the proper documentation) reimburse you for the unused portion of your trip and the cost of coming home. They WILL NOT "cover" the costs or pay up front for you to come home. Travel insurance only reimburses you. (certain circumstances aside like medical evacuation back home)

Edited by klfrodo