Chefs table & celebration nights - please clarify for confused experienced cruiser

claiream3

hi all, I have no clue what the below wording means for Ionas 'chefs table'. On my account under the speciality dining section it says chefs table is included whereas all other options like Sindhu etc are additional charge as i'm experienced with. Previous formal nights have always meant to us that a bit of an 'upgraded' menu is served in MDR's at no extra cost with no need to book, so the wording here really confuses me. Is the 'celebration dinner' different to what is offered on 'black tie night' in MDR's? What is so different/special about chefs table?

"On selected Celebration Evenings aboard Iona, there’s a new way to enjoy all the black-tie gourmet glamour: at The Chef’s Table. In a dedicated area of the Horizon restaurant (suitably styled for the occasion), you’ll be served an exclusive menu; a culinary collaboration from three of our illustrious Food Heroes in one extraordinary meal.
Like the traditional Celebration Dinner, The Chef’s Table is included in the price of your holiday. You can book The Chef’s Table 14 days in advance of your cruise, reserving your preferred table size and dining time".

thanks in advance 🙂

Hello,

I'm currently on Iona and we had celebration night on Sunday. 

The meal they are referring to is served in the Beach House restaurant and is a five course meal designed by Marco Pierre-White. There is an example menu on the website that is exactly what was served to us. This is my first cruise, so I can't say whether the menu was different to what was served in the MDR. 

Actually getting a table was a small trial. All the way through the pre-cruise build-up on the P&O website it stated to enquire on board. Once on board the Horizon newspaper said to book on the app, but it never appeared on there. A quick trip to reception got it booked. 

Hope that helped in some way.

Hi we are also staying on iona in July but we don't want to participate  in the celebration  night or dressing black tie.Does any one know where we can eat wearing just smart casual wear and also can we still go to the bars thanks

40 minutes ago, Just 47 said:

Hi we are also staying on iona in July but we don't want to participate  in the celebration  night or dressing black tie.Does any one know where we can eat wearing just smart casual wear and also can we still go to the bars thanks

Most of the atrium doesn't have a dress code. The Crows nest and Andersons does.

Re dining, I believe The Quays, The Olive Grove and Horizon buffet all keep it casual.

We had the Chef’s Table on our Xmas cruise on Iona. Apart from a divine canapé/soup and a just-ok dessert for one of us, the food was rushed out and was like below-par MDR food. The Wellington, for example, was lukewarm and flavourless with very rustic, poorly cooked veg - and an attempt at a gravy that makes Bisto seem sophisticated!

Ok, it was free but it was in no way a good foodie experience for us: and even with a slightly dolled up buffet area where it took place (overlooking folk still in swimming shorts trying to cut through!), it was sadly not a special atmosphere. But at least it was nice to dress up.

But we might have just been unlucky in that it could have just been an off-occasion, and we will try it again in the summer.

4 hours ago, molecrochip said:

Most of the atrium doesn't have a dress code. The Crows nest and Andersons does.

Re dining, I believe The Quays, The Olive Grove and Horizon buffet all keep it casual.

The Glass House is also casual or it was was I was aboard. Oops, forgot the Keel and Cow as well.

I was on Iona for 3 weeks and booked the chef’s table 3 times and those 3 times we had  a lovely relaxed meal not rushed and a much more quieter time than the mdr which can be quite noisy, nobody coming in from the swimming pool area as the doors was locked for their access, we had friends that eat in the mdr and they did not have the same meal options to us , so yes I would book it again, my tip is go to reception straight away and asked what day is formal night then go on your app and book it straight away .