Excursion Tips for Norwegian Fjords Cruise July 2022

LoveGlasto

1 hour ago, Kittyonions said:

Thorne girl I would also be very interested it doing the skylift independently, as the excursion on our cruise is fully booked. Please post if you are able to get any advice from tourist office in Olden. Many thanks.

will do but I don't think the Olden tourist office opens until 1st May.  

16 hours ago, darknightsdespiser said:

I have been on lots of cable car type things but that one looks scary !!!

we wife and her cousin are sacred of heights but they did well and got in. Funny pic of them both near the edge. 

094DAE0A-37CE-4F19-B5BC-3EB2D41C8EFD.jpeg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, we did Pulpit rock by boat, a couple of weeks ago it was freezing out on top but enjoyable all the same. Olden we booked the Briksall glacier it had snowed and the troll car was not on, it was very slippery  underfoot and took longer than normal because of that ,also we had wrapped very warmly and were roasting by the time we got to the top. We loved the sail away there as the locals came out and waved, and played We are sailing by Rod Stewart over a tannoy.

In Haguesand, we walked to the monument, but not much was open in the town possibly as it was Good Friday.

Alesund was pretty but if going on the troll bus get off and book straight away as it got full very quickly. You can walk up the 400 steps to the look out over the town , which is nice. We saw an open top bus there too.

Any suggestions for someone in a wheelchair?

We are going in September with a similar itinerary and have booked the accessible excursion in Olden. 
I can walk a very short way, but no steep slopes, cobbles or gravel. I have to think of my poor partner who pushes my chair.

Quite fancy one of the sky lifts, but don’t know if the coach or lift would take wheelchairs.

For your information the cable car in Madeira is very accommodating and we had a lovely trip on that a few years ago.

Thank you in advance.

On 4/17/2022 at 10:04 PM, thornegirl said:

will do but I don't think the Olden tourist office opens until 1st May.  

I've called the Olden tourist information office today, they've said that they don't do the independent shuttle bus now, but you can book on the same day with Olden Adventure.  You could also get the local bus there but the return wouldn't get back for the ships departure!, you could get a taxi there and back but not sure of the cost. Or you could hire a car, we would need 2 cars because of the numbers.  I have emailed a taxi company and Hertz car hire to see what the total costs are.

We might wait to see what the weather is like when we get there and see what options we have on the day.  

Thornegirl,

many thanks for posting the information from Olden tourist information. Like you, think we will wait until the day, as I imagine in inclement weather the views will be restricted. Very helpful to know in advance that the local bus does not return in time for our departure from Olden. Hope you have a wonderful cruise!

It’s 3 weeks until our cruise and mum has broken her foot today so will be in a non weight bearing cast or boot and on crutches. or possibly in a wheelchair at times.

Does anyone who has done the Pulpit Rock boat trip know if that is suitable for someone on crutches  or even a wheelchair?

I’m assuming the troll cars (Olden) will be suitable if we can hoist her up into one 🥴

So sorry to hear this you have been planning this trip for so long but I can give you a tip for getting a wheelchair on board if she doesn’t have or get one from nhs and just gets crutches, as soon as your on board go straight to reception and ask for a lend of one of theirs for the whole trip it’s on a first come basis, she may not need it all the time but will certainly help her not overdoing it to much there’s a lot of walking on the ship and ashore and if you’re going on Iona certainly ask for one , you keep it folded up in your room. I’m sure someone else will help with the boat question that has done it .

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Purdey16 said:

So sorry to hear this you have been planning this trip for so long but I can give you a tip for getting a wheelchair on board if she doesn’t have or get one from nhs and just gets crutches, as soon as your on board go straight to reception and ask for a lend of one of theirs for the whole trip it’s on a first come basis, she may not need it all the time but will certainly help her not overdoing it to much there’s a lot of walking on the ship and ashore and if you’re going on Iona certainly ask for one , you keep it folded up in your room. I’m sure someone else will help with the boat question that has done it .

That’s really helpful. We’ve got 11:45 boarding times so will go straight to reception and ask.

Thank you.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, SarahHben said:

It’s 3 weeks until our cruise and mum has broken her foot today so will be in a non weight bearing cast or boot and on crutches. or possibly in a wheelchair at times.

Does anyone who has done the Pulpit Rock boat trip know if that is suitable for someone on crutches  or even a wheelchair?

I’m assuming the troll cars (Olden) will be suitable if we can hoist her up into one 🥴

Your poor Mum I hope it heals well.  As long as P&O are using Rodne for their excursion, they usually do, they have wheelchair access, but it is limited in number.  

I have heard/and or read that the wheelchairs on board  are for those that find they are needed when on board,  very few available on a first come first served basis, if needed at embarkation I would arrange to bring one with you, 

Personally I would contact P&O and fill in the medical form, you can then check the excursion, mark your Mum as in need of assistance in case of emergency, and you can order a shower stool which will help your mum a lot in the bathroom. 

Edited by Pink-belle

We did the pulpit rock by boat , not sure if there was a wheelchair on board? The boat had a covered deck with rows of seats with what I recall room just to walk through each side , and the open upper deck with no seats , but she would be unable to get up there. If she can manage to get on and fold the wheelchair,I’m sure they can sit her near the door you get on , there is a tiny bit of deck that some went out on to take photos there.

On 4/30/2022 at 11:28 PM, SarahHben said:

Sorry to hear about your Mum's accident. As it has been mentioned book assistance with P&O, here's the link 

Accessibility & Medical Questionnaire & Facts | P&O Cruises (pocruises.com)

A few years back when Mum could still walk but not any great distance we hired a wheelchair for her through Mobility at Sea, the wheelchair was in the cabin on arrival and the cost was reasonable.

https://www.mobilityatsea.co.uk/

• Thanks 1

On 4/29/2022 at 9:57 PM, Kittyonions said:

Thornegirl,

many thanks for posting the information from Olden tourist information. Like you, think we will wait until the day, as I imagine in inclement weather the views will be restricted. Very helpful to know in advance that the local bus does not return in time for our departure from Olden. Hope you have a wonderful cruise!

what time is our ship departing from Olden?