Dress on board

SkippersMomma

My mother and I will be on La Champlain for a Tauck Tour of the Baltic at the end of May.  This will be my first cruise and I am wondering about the dress, especially for evenings and dinner. I am from the Midwest where things are pretty casual but I know my mom and she will not want to feel underdressed. Any help you can give would be appreciated! 

I asked my better half about this. She said it’s easy for women to fit in and to refer to the pictures on this page, especially clicking though to the “A Typical Day On Board” pictures: https://us.ponant.com/life-on-board — which applies to dinner at the Gastronomic Restaurant. Breakfast and lunch are casual. Dinner at the outdoor Grill Restaurant is more-or-less sharp casual. 

Anyway, don’t stress about it too much. A few will definitely overdress and bring a gown or such any maybe some will underdress, but most will be in the middle. 

Since you'll be part of a Tauck group, you don't have to worry about the couture of the French guests [which is never as good as the fashion week pictures...] – follow what the Tauck website and docs say.

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Since you'll be part of a Tauck group, you don't have to worry about the couture of the French guests [which is never as good as the fashion week pictures...] – follow what the Tauck website and docs say.

Spent many months in France and if you are not in Paris, you'll notice that dress is very casual, and those provincials may well be coutured by Decathlon | Best Gear, Clothing and Footwear For All Sports | Decathlon.  I call it basse couture for the common man (which I count myself among). I've seen (nice) jeans worn at lunch times in Michelin macarooned restaurants.  Just get one nice outfir for everything.

• 4 weeks later...

We went on a Ponant cruise in Greece and going on our second to Scotland this summer, already booked one for 2023. The French guests are definitely fairly well dressed, but there were a lot of Australians on board that were pretty casual. I generally dress very casually but your mom might be happy to pick it up a notch and add a nice scarf or some jewelry to spruce up her more casual outfit. There will certainly not be too many people in formal attire in any case.

• Like 1