On Queen Mary now? Covid cases?

debbyma

1 minute ago, escrick said:

I think you were fortunate when you cruised with Oceania.  Reading recent postings, it sounds as if some passengers on the Riviera had to be taken to an Italian hotel because they tested positive for covid.

Well, some people would call it luck, I call it game of probabilities. To be 100% safe, you have to stay home, not to travel, not to go to restaurants, grocery shops etc. We had our lives on hold for 2 years. Some will choose to continue doing it, we choose to resume our lives. We are 3 times vaccinated and we still had Covid, but it was very mild. 

Everyone has to make their choices in live. This cruise will be our third trip since travel resumed. We are resuming our lives and will not surrender to fear.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, ak1004 said:

Well, some people would call it luck, I call it game of probabilities. To be 100% safe, you have to stay home, not to travel, not to go to restaurants, grocery shops etc. We had our lives on hold for 2 years. Some will choose to continue doing it, we choose to resume our lives. We are 3 times vaccinated and we still had Covid, but it was very mild. 

Everyone has to make their choices in live. This cruise will be our third trip since travel resumed. We are resuming our lives and will not surrender to fear.

But you may have to surrender to a cheap hotel at some port that is not to your liking. But then a lot of people seem willing to enjoy half cruises in terms of amenities just to be on the water. 

2 minutes ago, Lakesregion said:

But you may have to surrender to a cheap hotel at some port that is not to your liking. But then a lot of people seem willing to enjoy half cruises in terms of amenities just to be on the water. 

Yea.. and I also may have to surrender to a truck hitting me when crossing the street. 

I prefer to take less than 1% chance to spend few days in a hotel than to take a 100% chance and stay at home.

As I said, it's game of probabilities. Especially considering that we already had Covid and are 3 times vaccinated.

We actually prefer to sail now when so many people surrendered to their fears and the ships sail half empty. Our gain, their loss.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, ak1004 said:

Yea.. and I also may have to surrender to a truck hitting me when crossing the street. 

I prefer to take less than 1% chance to spend few days in a hotel than to take a 100% chance and stay at home.

As I said, it's game of probabilities. Especially considering that we already had Covid and are 3 times vaccinated.

We actually prefer to sail now when so many people surrendered to their fears and the ships sail half empty. Our gain, their loss.

And there are ways to mitigate both mischances. Look carefully before attempting to cross and don't wear headphones for the road accident, get vaccinated and wear a mask in crowded places etc. for Covid. Or, as a general principle, praise the Lord AND pass the ammunition.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, exlondoner said:

And there are ways to mitigate both mischances. Look carefully before attempting to cross and don't wear headphones for the road accident, get vaccinated and wear a mask in crowded places etc. for Covid. Or, as a general principle, praise the Lord AND pass the ammunition.

We will have to disagree about the mask part.. this is why it's important to have choices. You should have a choice to wear a mask (even a double one if you wish), I should have a choice not to. And if you see someone like me without a mask, you have a choice not come close. It's that simple.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, ak1004 said:

We will have to disagree about the mask part.. this is why it's important to have choices. You should have a choice to wear a mask (even a double one if you wish), I should have a choice not to. And if you see someone like me without a mask, you have a choice not come close. It's that simple.

Not always. It's difficult if I can't use the stairs and a maskless person gets into the lift I am already in.

• Like 6

9 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

Not always. It's difficult if I can't use the stairs and a maskless person gets into the lift I am already in.

With a limitation of 4 people in the lift, social distancing shouldn't be that difficult.

The mask requirement were a complete absurd anyway. Masks required in the theater where the seats are socially distanced, but not in the bars where people sit really close? Now tell me all about the science and not the money. 

• Like 1

Surely the mask request/requirements are there to minimise the risks within practical limitations. The masks are to try to prevent someone who is infectious from spraying people near them with virus laden droplets.  So if an infected person is walking around they could in principle pass the virus to a lot of people as they walk around.  Sitting down they could generate a cloud of virus particles that people within 5 to 10 feet or more could breathe in be become infected - in a bar or restaurant you can't eat or drink with a mask on obviously which is why it is not practical to ask people to wear one in those venues.  However in a theatre it is not too cumbersome to wear a mask and at least reduce the chance you might infect people nearby.  Clearly it is better to have fewer people becoming ill during a cruise if at all possible.  We have all seen the threads about a non-zero chance that someone, despite the vaccines and being tested before boarding could become infectious a day or two after embarkation - so Cunard are taking a sensible and practical approach to minimising the numbers of Covid cases, whilst at the same time trying to let passengers have as nice an on-board experience as possible - a difficult ask at the best of times. The least we can do is co-operate and help as best we can to contribute to that optimal position.

Edited by mcloaked
add sentence
  • Like 8

34 minutes ago, ak1004 said:

With a limitation of 4 people in the lift, social distancing shouldn't be that difficult.

The mask requirement were a complete absurd anyway. Masks required in the theater where the seats are socially distanced, but not in the bars where people sit really close? Now tell me all about the science and not the money. 

In the QE lifts, it was impossible to manage social distancing even if there were only two occupants, and if one were in a wheelchair...

Science and money are both excellent motivators, but so too is concern for one's fellow passengers.

Edited by exlondoner
Omission
  • Like 6

2 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

In the QE lifts, it was impossible to manage social distancing even if there were only two occupants, and if one were in a wheelchair...

Personally, I would gladly put a mask while in the lift if someone specifically asked. My main problem is wearing it while moving indoor and seating in the theater and/or cinema. This makes zero sense, and even mask defenders should understand this.

It's like seeing people wearing masks while driving alone in their cars or walking alone in the park with no people around. 

A little bit of common sense..

In March on QE on the Norway voyage, a significant proportion of passengers took the limit of 4 in lifts to heart, and most people used the stairs most of the time, leaving the lifts to those most in need, and  allowed maximum opportunity for those who were physically unable to use the stairs. There were only a few occasions when people did fill a lift with four and keeping fairly near the corners was the best anyone could do. Certainly for fit and healthy people most were being as considerate as possible on that voyage.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ak1004 said:

Personally, I would gladly put a mask while in the lift if someone specifically asked. My main problem is wearing it while moving indoor and seating in the theater and/or cinema. This makes zero sense, and even mask defenders should understand this.

It's like seeing people wearing masks while driving alone in their cars or walking alone in the park with no people around. 

A little bit of common sense..

Surely common sense suggests there may be some difference between being alone outdoors and being in a crowded area indoors. One must be more likely to pass on germs in the latter situation?

• Like 1

Mask wearing is much more about limiting the risk any one person adds to others, rather than the  risk to yourself - so it is a question of being considerate to others rather then being self centred, at a personal level. From Cunard's view it is minimising the spread to limit the number of cases on any one voyage.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, mcloaked said:

Mask wearing is much more about limiting the risk any one person adds to others, rather than the  risk to yourself - so it is a question of being considerate to others rather then being self centred, at a personal level. From Cunard's view it is minimising the spread to limit the number of cases on any one voyage.

I do very much agree. I doubt anyone, except the occasional bank robber, enjoys wearing a mask, but why would you not choose to do so to help protect other people?

• Like 4