NCL Airfare refund issue.

Kzeeguy

This may be a bit long winded , but I would like to see if anyone else is currently or has experienced the following issue that we are going through. Also I know that there is a dedicated cruise air forum, but since this is NCL specific issue, I hope to get answers or opinion form other NCL cruisers . 

We cruised March 26 thru April 2 on the Joy out of Miami. 

When we returned we got caught up in the mass cancellation of the flights out of FLL/Miami/ ect...ect... on April 2nd

We booked our air all-inclusive through NCL and were flying on Spirit. 

Spirit couldn't get us out until April 6th Weds afternoon so it was that or we could opt for a refund our airfare if we wanted. We opted to take the refund offered, and to drive home ( Michigan) .   

They were giving us a refund of $1295.00 which is a bit less than the cost to drive home , but we would be home Monday Morning . 

This is where it gets a little confusing. Spirit gave us a card code and the last four digits of the card the refund was issued to, it was not our card and because NCL paid for the Air , it was from their account. I called NCL and was assured that even though the refund was issued to NCL it would get to me.

The other issue is that we were on the $199  air promotion. So today NCL emailed us that we are only going to receive the $199 , and they don't have record of the $1295 refund .  They said it was up to me to call Spirit to see about it. 

I called Spirit again and they do have a record of the refund going to NCL.

Currently I am appealing the decision of NCL guest relations and waiting on a response.

I know that we only paid $199 x 2 for the air and  NCL actually paid $1295 for it. If NCL only gives me the $199  then they are realizing a $1100 profit for the air problems that I incurred. 

Hoping to hear from NCL in a couple of days. 

Anyone else in this boat??

Sorry, I have no advice, but I am amazed that NCL booked you on Spirit!  We took the buy 1, get one free air promotion for our transatlantic cruise and were told that NCL does not use "budget" airlines.  I would be very upset if NCL booked me on Spirit!  

I hope you get some resolution!

• 3 months later...

Yeah this is a non issue if you get back what you paid.

You can't expect more than you paid out of pocket for. If those numbers are true, then NCL was taking a loss with your original flights. Now they get their money back and are even, and you get back the money you spent. 

• Like 1

Since you used NCL air, did you reach out to them to see what your options were?  I have always found them to be helpful when there are issues with travel arrangements.  Also, did you have trip insurance for the cruise.  They should be covering part of your out of pocket expenses under trip cancellation.

It is hard to imagine that a flight on Spirit would have cost that much, but you have no idea what NCL actually paid for the flight, but I can guarantee it was more than than the amount you paid (yes I have used their promotion several times and always check to see if the amount I am saving is worth the extra hassles of letting someone else book the flight).  

What I would be interested to know is if part of that refund was actually a "penalty" for the cancellation which should/would have been used to offset additional expenses to get home.  That portion should have gone to you and not to NCL.  But then again, I would think NCL would still take control of your situation until you got on your outbound flight.

Unfortunately, NCL could say you 'chose' to cancel the flight and make your own way home.  Whether you drove home or booked with another airline won't make much difference to them if they didn't have the chance to find you another option.  (You didn't say whether you'd managed to get in touch with an NCL Air rep before agreeing to cancel the flight.)

From Spirit's point of view, NCL is your travel agent, and would be responsible for working out any refund with you.   Spirit doesn't know what deal you have with NCL, and it doesn't matter to them in how they price fares in bulk.  NCL sees you as only in the $199, and has refunded that.

I'm not sure what Spirit or NCL's obligation for 2 hotel nights and meals would have been if you opted to wait in Miami for the Wednesday flight.  Seems like it should be something, but nobody wants to put it in writing lest we all demand the maximum compensation.

Yeah, it stinks. 

If NCL won't offer you a share of the refund in cash, perhaps you could negotiate a discount/free cabin on a future cruise?  OBC?

I normally take the customer's point of view, but in this case, I'm definitely taking NCL's side. They paid the $1,295 for your airfare and ought to be refunded those dollars. They should refund you only what you paid. Unfortunately, that's how the world works. 

Ugh...frankie boy - I can't believe I'm taking your side! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Trappedontheboat said:

I would not care so much for $1295 refund from the airline as I agree only $200 should be refunded as you paid those money, but I would definetely want to see my trip home expences being reimbursed, even if I did not have an insurance.

Unfortunately for us consumers, trip interruptions and delays are our responsibility. Neither the airlines nor the cruise lines will reimburse expenses incurred due to travel disruptions, which btw, seem to always be "beyond their control". It sucks but that's what travel insurance is for.

• Like 1