Alaska cruise question

commodari5

18 hours ago, NantahalaCruiser said:

I also love the Celebrity S-class ships - but unfortunately, none of them go to Glacier Bay

Glacier Bay is not a "must see." If you look at YouTube videos of GB and TAF, you'll see a difference but it may not be a big enough difference for some people. 

• Thanks 1

Maybe the NCL Bliss would be one you would enjoy. It's very big, with a go-kart track and laser tag on the top deck. 

It has a HUGE Observation Lounge in the front of the ship, perfect for watching the scenery in Alaska.

I think we need to know why you want the biggest newest ship. Are there certain amenities you are looking for? 

On 4/22/2022 at 2:29 PM, NantahalaCruiser said:

The newest and nearly the largest ship sailing in Alaska is the Discovery Princess - roundtrip out of Seattle - built in 2022 and carrying a max of 3660 passengers. However, it uses the outside passage, rather than the inside passage and does not go to Glacier Bay National Park (a must see destination.)

The Norwegian Encore appears to be the largest (3998 passengers) and nearly the newest (2019) - also roundtrip out of Seattle - also using the outside passage - but does go to Glacier Bay National Park.

Finally, the Holland America Koningsdam - roundtrip out of Vancouver - seems to be the newest (2016), but not the largest (2650 passengers) - of those ships sailing through the inside passage and cruising in Glacier Bay National Park.

However, per some of the previous postings, even though they are said to travel through  the inside passage - it might not really be true.

Enjoy your cruise.

Discovery - 3660 passengers; outside passage; doesn't go to Glacier Bay.  Is there anything positive to say about this cruise.  Not for me.

Encore - basically the same comments except that it at least goes to Glacier Bay.

DON

• Like 2

12 hours ago, donaldsc said:

Discovery - 3660 passengers; outside passage; doesn't go to Glacier Bay.  Is there anything positive to say about this cruise.  Not for me.

Encore - basically the same comments except that it at least goes to Glacier Bay.

DON

But you aren't the OP. Your tastes may not be their tastes. 

On 4/26/2022 at 10:27 AM, cruizergal70 said:

But you aren't the OP. Your tastes may not be their tastes. 

They did ask for suggestions so I gave them mine.  I made no comments at all about the suggestions that other respondents made although I might personally disagree w some of them.

DON