Alaska -- So Many Options!

Petronillus

DW, DS, & I are considering an Alaska cruise-tour on a spur-of-the-moment basis. I have not yet had a discussion with out PCC, but at this stage I'm confused by the welter of options. I know we want a cruise-tour versus a cruise only. I know we can allocate up to 14 days. But I'm at a loss to figure out the relative advantages of a "Double Denali" versus a "Triple Denali" (beyond the obvious difference between 2 overnights and 3). We've already done the Inside Passage (cruise only, usual stops at Juneau, Ketchikan, Skagway, and Sitka); of those four, Sitka is the only port of call I'd care to revisit. Would the "Glacier Discovery" be a better option?

The chance to visit Dawson City and the Yukon Territory in addition to Denali is attractive.

At our age (DW's and mine) we're not likely to a do-over.

I'd appreciate, as always, the benefit of the collective wisdom of the CC members.

=Bob=

BC (Before Covid - Before Cancellation) we went through the same exercise  sorting out all the options and finally settled on the following:

1. Land tour first, then cruise.

2. Double Denali - and then later learning there were restrictions on how far the road into the park was open.  

Sounded like both food and accommodations available are limited less than stellar in Denali (due to all sort of issues beyond anyone's control) so fewer days in Detail sounded better than more days in Denali.

We personally never tire of the Alaska ports, but do prefer cruises that take in the more northern (western?) less visited  ports over the more impacted Inland Passage tour ones - but find they are still appealing.

• Thanks 1

If this is the only time you will be in Alaska then do all you can. I am doing the double Denali in June and as it gets closer to the time I keep thinking why didn't I do the Yukon as well. 

Well I know why. I really thought i would go again. Originally 3 years ago price was a consideration as well as the time off work. now 3 years later I have a much more "go for it" attitude. Covid has changed lives.

But if you do not have to limit yourself.. Don't !

We really enjoyed the Yukon adventures.  You can cruise 3, 4, or 7 days along with the land tour.  Two nights in Denali is just about right unless you plan to include a lot of activities.  Dawson City has some wonderful Parks Canada tours and is a special place to visit.  Holland America has online brochures which describe your options with the different tours.  My advice is to take as many days as you can.  Two nights at each location gives you one full day before you travel on.  We enjoyed the journey host who provided a lot of enrichment along the way.

I was born in and grew up in Alaska.  We've done multiple cruises to Alaska, flown there on independent tourist and business trips, and I've ridden my motorcycle to Alaska twice from the Puget Sound area (saw more bears on those trips than the sum total of all the other trips).  That being said, it never gets old.  We booked the triple Denali just to get more time in that area particularly if there are weather issues.  We're doing the land portion first and then doing our first sailing on the Noordam south to Vancouver.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, oaktreerb said:

We really enjoyed the Yukon adventures.  You can cruise 3, 4, or 7 days along with the land tour.  Two nights in Denali is just about right unless you plan to include a lot of activities.  Dawson City has some wonderful Parks Canada tours and is a special place to visit.  Holland America has online brochures which describe your options with the different tours.  My advice is to take as many days as you can.  Two nights at each location gives you one full day before you travel on.  We enjoyed the journey host who provided a lot of enrichment along the way.

At a recent onboard Mariner's Reception, we chatted with a fellow passenger and she told us they had received notice that the Yukon portion of their cruise-tour was cut from the itinerary.  She was quite disappointed by this.  

Sometimes the itineraries aren't updated well on the website.  I'd be very sure to confirm just exactly what I'm booking -- with the understanding that changes can still happen anyway. (I really want to get to the Yukon myself.  Some day.)

1 hour ago, AncientWanderer said:

At a recent onboard Mariner's Reception, we chatted with a fellow passenger and she told us they had received notice that the Yukon portion of their cruise-tour was cut from the itinerary.  She was quite disappointed by this.  

Sometimes the itineraries aren't updated well on the website.  I'd be very sure to confirm just exactly what I'm booking -- with the understanding that changes can still happen anyway. (I really want to get to the Yukon myself.  Some day.)

There is an issue with the White Pass and Yukon railroad going into the Yukon so the 3 and 4 day cruise itineraries may be changed a bit but it will probably just be the pick-up spot in the U.S. instead of Canada when transferring to the train.  The Y2 looks interesting if you are looking for a 7 day cruise, we may consider that for next year.  If you want the full experience of the Denali Park road you will have to wait at least until 2023 for the road to be repaired.  One of my favorite itineraries had us spending a night in the Westmark hotel in Skagway.   There will always be unexpected changes and sometimes they become the highlight of the trip.

RE:  One of the best things about the Mariner Receptions is sharing with others who have the same interests in cruising.    The comments about the Yukon were most likely concerning the short border cross into  the Yukon rather than the full Yukon itineraries.

Some of the WPYR excursion tours that previously went into the Yukon just went across the border on the train or bus and returned to Skagway.  I think HAL has offered the WPYR free for some passengers to keep up interest due to WPYR railroad issues in 2022.  HAL invested into the WPYR railway prior to the shutdown.  I don’t know what the issue is unless it’s track maintenance in Canada after being shut down for two years.

@Petronillus  Whenever you decide to go you’ll have a great time!  

Edited by oaktreerb
  • Thanks 1