At Home Proctored Covid Antigen tests

bobitegirl

I am considering  ordering the Binax Now proctored antigen tests to use in Anchorage the day before my cruise starts. Would love to hear from anyone that used these. I'm assuming that Viking will accept them, but since they only offer examples of accepted rests, I'd like some reassurance from someone that has used them. 

We used them last November prior to a cruise on Princess.  They were fine.

we fly to Istanbul next week for a Viking Cruise and are doing a clinic PCR test a few days earlier.  PCR is 72 hours vs 24 for Antigen.  We try to minimize last minute stress.

46 minutes ago, bobitegirl said:

I am considering  ordering the Binax Now proctored antigen tests to use in Anchorage the day before my cruise starts. Would love to hear from anyone that used these. I'm assuming that Viking will accept them, but since they only offer examples of accepted rests, I'd like some reassurance from someone that has used them. 

I think you should ask your TA or Viking directly, to minimize any uncertainty.

I did talk to my TA and I am using https://www.azova.com/flowflexvideo/   20 dollars per Observation (assuming you already have the test).  I got these one free with the govt roll out.  There is also https://ihealthlabs.com/products/ihealth-verified-covid-test-service for 25 dollars.  I have those a back up as I have to do these tests while in Bergen before we launch

Anybody know if the US accepts these proctored self-tests for re-entry? Would save us from having to hunt down a place in Bergen before we come home. Assuming the US is still requiring this nonsense in the fall.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Twitchly said:

Anybody know if the US accepts these proctored self-tests for re-entry? Would save us from having to hunt down a place in Bergen before we come home. Assuming the US is still requiring this nonsense in the fall.

The US absolutely does accept the proctored self tests for reentry. If you do a bit of reading on some of the other cruise line boards you'll find discussion of the tests and you'll see  that it's a very popular way of meeting the US requirement. Check out this page from eMed https://www.emed.com/airline-travel

"TRAVEL WITH
CONFIDENCE

Now, you can have peace of mind and meet Testing requirements to enter the U.S. and other international destinations."

Edited by njhorseman
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

From the Flowflex link I provided above. 

FDA Emergency Use Authorized At-home rapid antigen tests can now be used by travelers to meet COVID testing requirements to enter the United States

At home antigen test results are now accepted by the CDC from travelers who are returning to the United States. Only tests that have received an Emergency Use Authorization such as the Flowflex™ SARS-CoV-2 Antigen Rapid Test (self-test) can be used for this purpose. You must take your test under video observation with ID verification and receive a validated result. AZOVA will provide you with these services.

• Thanks 1

On 4/25/2022 at 1:03 PM, bobitegirl said:

That kit was not listed on the Viking Health and Safety webpage that I found for pre embarkation testing. I’ve sent an email to Viking to ask if the list has been updated. It is accepted for US entry. 

Just now, dcl999 said:

That kit was not listed on the Viking Health and Safety webpage that I found for pre embarkation testing. I’ve sent an email to Viking to ask if the list has been updated. It is accepted for US entry. 

The list they provided was stated as "examples" of accepted tests, and, if I remember correctly they were all PCR tests.

On 4/25/2022 at 3:58 PM, bpolen said:

I did talk to my TA and I am using https://www.azova.com/flowflexvideo/   20 dollars per Observation (assuming you already have the test).  I got these one free with the govt roll out.  There is also https://ihealthlabs.com/products/ihealth-verified-covid-test-service for 25 dollars.  I have those a back up as I have to do these tests while in Bergen before we launch

I was excited about the Ihealth option since I have the tests. But they only work with a laptop. No phone or tablets. I dont travel with my big, 17" laptop so guess that option is out. The flowflex also sounds good, but LOTS of negative comments about accuracy. Have you already used? Oh, and does the flowflex work with tablet? I know the Binax from Emed does. 

I have set up the Flowflex appt for next week for a "test run". but have not gone through it yet.  Good to know on laptop only on ihealth.  I was not aware but plan on bring my MacBook.  The dang thing is as thin as a tablet.   I need to check on the accuracy of flowflex as I am not aware.

My TA told me that if you take the test and you have a reading that is positive and or inconclusive, you can "lose" connection and start the process again.  I am not endorsing that tactic just saying it has been used effectively.  

I just got a voicemail back from Viking on my question about a proctored antigen test for boarding the ship since we will be on independent travel prior to boarding.  The specific one I asked about was the Binax AG test proctored by eMed.  They said that it was good for boarding the ship but you need to bring the emailed lab report that eMed sends to show them before boarding.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, bobitegirl said:

Thanks so much hbtraveler! Just what I wanted to know. Ordering now. Did your tests go smoothly? We are ordering the pack of 6 for 4 of us. Will that suffice?

We haven't done the tests yet (our cruise is in June).  We were going to get the 6 pack from eMed, 2 for boarding the ship, 2 for the return flight to the US, and 2 spares in case we screw up one of the tests.  If you don't need the tests for the return flight, I'd think that 6 probably is enough.  Worst case, I think that getting tests in Europe is fairly easy.

We did the Flowflex Antigen test 24 hours before boarding, but when we got on the ship no one asked us for a test result.  We were required to do a test before boarding and wear a mask. We were never told the result so assumed it was negative.  J

On 5/2/2022 at 10:15 PM, hbtraveler said:

I just got a voicemail back from Viking on my question about a proctored antigen test for boarding the ship since we will be on independent travel prior to boarding.  The specific one I asked about was the Binax AG test proctored by eMed.  They said that it was good for boarding the ship but you need to bring the emailed lab report that eMed sends to show them before boarding.

We are in Bergen and have just completed a SwitchHealth antigen test in order to board tomorrow. We have received emailed results with a QR code. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, millybess said:

We are in Bergen and have just completed a SwitchHealth antigen test in order to board tomorrow. We have received emailed results with a QR code. 

We’ll be doing this ourselves in Bergen, too (unless the US finally stops requiring it before we go). Looking forward to hearing how it goes for you tomorrow. Safe travels!

11 hours ago, Twitchly said:

We’ll be doing this ourselves in Bergen, too (unless the US finally stops requiring it before we go). Looking forward to hearing how it goes for you tomorrow. Safe travels!

We are now on Jupiter. Following is the current procedure in Bergen:

Porters unloaded our taxi and took our luggage inside the terminal. 
We put our hand luggage through security for X-ray. 
We each spit into a tube, sealed the bag holding the tube and deposited them in a large box. 
in another room we had our temperatures taken and our antigen test results checked — we printed them at the hotel this morning. 
Finally, we checked in, showed our passports and registered our credit cards and received our excursion slips, etc. 

Afterwards we headed straight to the pool grill where I consumed the first of many cheesesteak sandwiches. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1