Are taxis unsafe?

Nolesmln

We had Little French Key booked which included transportation- now there are all these strange cryptic messages regarding LFK being under a hostile takeover so I think we are going to do a beach day pass. I was planning on using a taxi but everyone on this forum and royal carribean FB pages seem to be going through your guides.  I desperately need guidance.  Ty.

1 hour ago, Nolesmln said:

We had Little French Key booked which included transportation- now there are all these strange cryptic messages regarding LFK being under a hostile takeover so I think we are going to do a beach day pass. I was planning on using a taxi but everyone on this forum and royal carribean FB pages seem to be going through your guides.  I desperately need guidance.  Ty.

Where are these cryptic messages?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Nolesmln said:

I am not sure that the taxis are unsafe so much as unregulated. Roatan has always  been an island that has been more geared to “having a driver for the day” either as a private driver or group shuttle/tour. There are several recommended companies and prices are very similar. Over the years we have used several.

Initially this is quite reasonable, and flexible, especially for larger groups. When you have visited several time and simply want a ride from A to B for 2 people it becomes expensive.

• Like 1

The taxis themselves are safe and I have found the people of Roatan to be great. The "unsafe" part would be in finding one to take you back to port at the time you are ready to leave. We usually go to the West Bay area, and there are several beach clubs, resorts, restaurants and shops - lots of people, and I have never seen a line of taxis there at the end of the day like you do in other ports. If you could arrange with your taxi to pick you up at a certain time that may work, but we've always used a private guide or book with a resort thru shore Excursioneer.