Returning to Cruising with Walking Difficulties

Returning to Cruising with Walking Difficulties

We’re back!!!

Along with the rest of the world everything has been on hold and our last cruise was 2019.

For those of you unfamiliar with my previous posts I always wrote a day by day blog of our cruise travels under the titles of “with walking difficulties”

Husband developed inflammatory Arthritis in his mid 40s which due to misdiagnosis flared  rapidly through his body and destroyed most major joints. He has had 3 hip replacements-no he does only have 2 legs but 1 hip replacement failed and had to be redone.

Just to add insult to injury he had a brain haemorrhage    in 2019

I nickname hubby 6 after the character of Steve Austin the 6 million dollar man from the 1970s tv series.

This severely injured astronaut was rebuilt Better Stronger Faster with the aid of bionics to the tune of 6 million dollars.

Hubbys surgery costs were a bit less but mounting -thank goodness for our NHS

This blog is tongue in cheek and names changed to protect the guilty.

It is meant to be a fun read but also to give help and advice to those travelling with disabilities hidden or not.

We booked this cruise as  a fly cruise package with NCL

They booked us on early morning flight London Heathrow to Athens of cruise.

We would normally fly day before but did not have time before to spare.

Our Granddaughter[and her parents] live 10 minutes from Heathrow so we drove there from our home in North East on Saturday to send time with them and stay that night.

I have often commented that the birth of our Grandaughter was the only good thing to come out of 2020.

Checking in for our BA flight on Saturday my son in law noted our return flight the following Sunday had been cancelled!

After an hour on hold with NCL we were assured we would be rebooked on an alternative flight and that would be communicated to us on the ship.

So resolved to just enjoy rest of day and the cruise and trust NCL to look after us.

Let the adventure begin    

• Like 9

Sunday

A 3.15 alarm call and trying to sneak out of house not disturbing Daughter Son in law and most importantly Grandaughter!

We had pre booked meet and greet valet service at Heathrow airport £140 for the week

Blue Circle closed between 12 midnight and 4am

It was an easy 15 minute drive to short stay car park terminal 5 and as instructed drove up to level 4 of the parking garage and handed over our keys

The terminal building is directly opposite and an easy walk even for 6

I am the type of person who likes to be at least 3 hours early but should have listened to son in law that nothing opens that early.

It was 4.20 and the baggage drop desk was open but the belt system wasn’t due to come on till 4.30

A lady took pity on 6 and directed him to the disability assistance area whilst I waited with the cases until system started

The disability assistance wasn’t due to open till 5am and a pretty young lady appeared on the dot of 5am and switched on her computer.

The 2 older guys who had been industriously cleaning and stacking wheelchairs immediately swarmed around her to be of assistance!

5 past 5 and one of the guys brings over a manual wheelchair for 6 and fast tracks us through security

At least the fast track gets to head of line but by the time 6 had removed belts clips and everything else electrical or metal to go through security detector it took a time especially as his metal hips set off the alarms and need to be manually frisked down.

Once through we were taken to the special assistance area which is a quiet area at end of terminal. This is invaluable as he suffers sensory overload as a result of his brain haemorrhage

We were left with a pager and sure enough as it went off 5.50 another assistance guy appeared to take us with another manual wheelchair to the gates

This involved a short train ride to B gates and we got priority boarding for our 6.40 flight

This actually benefits other passengers as not slowed down or having to manoeuvre round a less than agile person

It was a very full flight and despite requests for people to check larger bags into hold free of charge people were still trying to cram fairly sizeable cases into the overhead lockers.

We were in the air by 7am for 3 hours 15 flight. Greece 2 hours ahead so local time arrival 12.30 with cruise leaving 5pm but transfers booked by NCL

On arrival there were 4 wheelchairs waiting for passengers and we set off on a convoy through passport control and baggage claim

This short cut was really helpful-6 would have struggled with the distance

Out of customs there was an NCL rep holding up a card who checked us off the list and directed the wheelchair assist guy to take us outside terminal to a waiting bus

At this point it was 7 degrees C and raining-was warmer back in UK!

There were about 12 of us on the bus from several flights from UK and we were informed we were heading to the Grand Hyatt for Covid testing at NCL expense

We started chatting to a lovely couple  known as D and S originally from North East who now live in Scotland and who described my accent as Posh Geordie!

Requirements re testing were changing by the day and they had paid £70 each for PCR tests in Scotland and we £30 each for fit to fly at Heathrow day before

These were now superfluous but at least we had the reassurance we were negative before we left.

Because it was quiet at the hotel testing was a bit better than previous reports of mass testing at pier. However it was still pretty inefficient and lots of confusion which was the valid QR code

Once swabbed you were given a slip of paper with your id number and directed to sit for 10 minutes until your number came up on screen.You could go and get a green peper wristband indicating you were clear

They were obviously doing in batches and mine came up first but had to wait another 5 mins until    6 D and S numbers came up

There was a family group who were given the bad news that most of them were cleared to cruise but Dad had tested positive and would have to isolate in a hotel for 5 days-we never did find out what they decided to do.

We piled onto another bus to take us to pier-it was 14.30 by this time

There was a sense of camaraderie on the full bus as we were one step closer

However this became strained as we arrived at the pier and access to the 12 check in desks were bottlenecked by 2 staff checking temperatures and asking a load of health questions to enter on a tablet [very slowly] before being able to get checked in

Our temp/tablet guy must have been his first day as he failed to input correctly and caused delay at check in until a supervisor came forward and pressed a magic button.

There was supposed to be wheelchair assistance at pier but couldn’t see any signs and in the disorganisation forgot to ask

There was a few hundred yards open air walk from pier building to ship and it was raining

I admit I made a dash for it and left 6 to it

In the past he has managed on board with only walking stick but his left ankle has deteriorated to the stage we will need to hire mobility scooter on board or at least a rollator with seat

Eventually we got on board just before 4 where we were told to head straight for our muster stations-in our case the stardust theatre to be ticked off the list This was to make sure we knew where it would be in case of emergency

We had arranged an informal sailaway meet and greet 4pm at Great Outdoors with roll call initiator Keithjenner and headed up there

In our previous cruising we had always arrived at port of embarkation a day early and be on board ship before 12 in order to enjoy the ship and more importantly start the UBP [Ultimate beverage package]

I t was reported the week before that due to local Greek law no drinks were to be served before out of Greek waters

This was soft drinks also

This time they were serving soft drinks but no alcohol

We tried to get answers as no other cruiselines had reported this and in the end came to the conclusion the responsible officer on board had misinterpreted this as no duty free till out of sea which is why ship shops aren’t open

Still awaiting clarification but at least by 6.30 alcohol was available for rest of cruise.

We met up with K P and son R but no one else turned up

This reminded us how we met several years ago on the same ship when I organised the official Meet And Greet Only the 5 of us turned up-we were outnumbered 2 to 1 by the ships officers!

We thought we had got off lightly re muster with checking off video safety at home and checking in to actual location

Oh no

5.30 cruise director Francesco came on tannoy to go through safety announcements

However instead of sticking to relevant info he went on for 15 minutes with side safety announcements

This would have been okay if we could understand his accent-the mis pronunciation of so many words had you working out what he meant which meant you missed the next few sentences

Saving grace was only done in English which bearing in mind many cruisers were from Spain could have been worse

We bade temporary adieu to the Jenners and headed for bite to eat at garden café

I headed for spa where got week long pass for $129-easily justified as weather forecast for next few days was cool

Headed to cabin to find cases had arrived and unpacked before heading to O Sheehan’s to watch waves and attentive waiter helping us to start progress into the UBP  

Masks were mandatory indoors and policy well adhered to

Staff certainly were compliant

I had purchased via amazon a set of FFP2 masks in multi colours which were commented on-hey gotta match your outfit!

Tip-if you have latitude status call in at cruisenext desk. Because perks such as latitude parties and dinner with officers have been suspended we got a $50 onboard credit and 2 pins.

We had several drinks in O Sheehans then headed for Magnums to check out guitar player Brian

This would turn out to be our go to place for the evenings

10.30 and it was time to head to bed after a long day

• Like 3

Monday Kusadasi

Forecast was 16 C and cloudy but felt colder in the wind.

We slept late and missed breakfast at Garden Café so went down to O Sheehans

We had no plans to go ashore and we were leaving lunchtime anyway.

11am there was a card making class  in Magnums and I was the only adult unaccompanied by a small child!

Afterwards I headed for my first spa session-there were only 3 of us in there

The spa is located on top level and panoramic views over front of ship-a good place to relax and watch returning cruisers.

I found 6 after sailaway on almost deserted pool desk enjoying a Rebellious Fish

At 1pm there was a $10 sale in gift shop and I bought a white woolen shawl [which came in very handy for the cool days ] and a childrens finding Nemo watch to wear during day and not spoil my watch with suncream[hoping would be required at some point]

At 2pm there was a ladies Pamper part in the spa.This turned out to be a free 1 on 1 mini facial with discount on a future exclusive treatment of $119 for mini facial,back and shoulder massage and foot and ankle massage

I of course booked for next day.

The therapist was from Wales and said she had been on board Escape when it ran aground

She was in her quarters at base of ship and said the closet doors flew open.

They of course had to evacuate.As the ship was out of commission for a month she was transferred to this ship.

Back at the cabin 6 was having a rest after several rebellious fish so I explored ship further before meeting up at 4pm at cocktail bar.

We chatted to 2 couples we had met before returning for shower and our first speciality restaurant La Cucina at 6.45

We had 2 meals as part of Saphire latitude status and 2 extras as part of the 3 perks for $99 so 4 meals on 7 day cruise pretty good going.

Service was good and we were in and out in 1 ½ hours

Heading to Magnums we bumped into D and S who were heading for Adele tribute

K P and 16 year old son R joined us as we were listening to guitarist Brian and pianist Alpar

K and P were champagne giddy and R was just  rolling his eyes at the embarrassment of his parents as only a teenager can.

K is better known as Keithjenner who posted a live blog from the ship.

They had upgraded to a suite to give R his own bedroom and upgraded the beverage package to include champagne and coffees.

They had missed 50th birthday and 25th Wedding anniversary during pandemic lockdown so were treating themselves.

We discussed on several occasions whether was worth upgrading and they felt it was worth it as they like champagne.

We only the other hand prefer prosecco and the standard beverage package suited us as most wines  beers and cocktails fell within the limits.

Eventually it was off to bed.

• Like 2

Tuesday Istanbul

7am till 6pm

Forecast cloudy and 9C

Its warmer back in the UK!

I slipped downstairs to Magnums 9am to sign up for Canvas 4 U next day as only 15 places available .As it turned out plenty of availability and could have turned up on spec for 1st day class.

Previous experience with this class was on Transatlantic Epic a few years ago where it sold out quickly.

We again went to O Sheehans for breakfast and tried to connect to ship wifi

Turkey was very dodgy and even got notification on phone welcome to the USA!

Is the ship off course?

I went back to cabin to fill our first free laundry bag and grabbed by swimming costume and kindle and headed up to the spa-I was only person in there so very relaxing and great views of Istanbul with minarets everywhere on the scene.

12.30 I left to find 6 at topsiders bar with some very cold and bored bar waiters

Wrapped up in sweatshirt and jacket was pretty comfortable. Hearing the call to prayer echoing around the harbour was pretty eerie.

2.30 I headed t the spa for my treatment-sneakily they added a slip of paper listing 4 additions which did not list the price-turned out opting for 2 of them cost extra $30

I enjoyed the treatment but that lack of clear pricing put me off booking another massage I was going to do.

Returning to cabin 6 was fast asleep so went through to balcony and read till he woke in time for shower and to meet K P and R at 5pm ahead of our 5.30 Tepanyaki reservation

We had just realised we were booked at same time and hoped to sit together

However the table allocation had already been done so were at separate table.

K knew you had to check in at Jasmine garden desk but several people were caught out by queuing outside Tepanyaki door on main corridor which was closed off.This meant they were late but the fault of the ship by not making signage clearer.

The main attraction of Tepanyaki is the chef floor show which is very entertaining

However a tasting of a strange cucumber based cocktail and garlic infused everything and my stomach was very unsettled and decided to go for a nap.

Back in cabin there was light flashing on phone to say go down to guest services

Sure enough it was confirmation of our 8pm flight from Athens on Sunday

Plans to still get a nap were thwarted by cabin steward returning laundry[which was just sent out that morning] and a further call from another girl on guest services to tell us about the flight confirmation!

I just decided to retire for night and 6 returned about 10pm to find me fast asleep.  

• Like 2

Wednesday Volos

16 C but cool breeze

I awoke feeling better but my stomach was unsettled for rest of cruise.

I went along to the Canvas 4 U class in the card room on deck 12 along with 3 others and 2 members of staff

A family came in with Pictionary game and were very put out they were displaced from their daily game!

It was a great fun hour and my masterpiece of funky guitar will be proudly displayed in 6 music room

I did take it straight back to the room in case it got confused with the Grandmasters auction taking place in Parkwest gallery.

I found 6 in Great outdoors with K and P and we compared notes on cruise so far

Volos was a new port for us but we had already decided to stay on board

Main attraction according to shore excursions desk was to hilltop monasteries which involved a 7 hour day

There was a stream of people heading on foot into Volos however the pier was very industrial looking and looked long walk to anywhere of interest.

This was also opinion of D and S who we met at 1pm for 80s trivia in Magnums

We made up team of 4 against another couple

We beat them by 1 point but 12/20 not great score if were against serious trivia experts!

Did you know the name of the cat in the Smurfs or night riders KITT evil twin-nope neither did we

We had a good chat/laugh wit the other couple and agreed was great to be cruising again

There was a message in cabin that free covid testing would be available on ship Thursday evening for those guests who required proof prior to flight home

6 went to rest and I went to the spa

For the first time I got my swimming costume wet as lounged in spa tub which I had completely to myself

4pm I went to find 6 not in cabin so a quick consultation of freestyle daily identified he would be listening to guitarist Brian on poolside

Mind you he was behind rows of chairs and only noticed when he held his walking stick up to attract his attention

He could have hidden from me and set up an assignation with the mother and daughters who had asked if they could sit next to him the previous night whilst he was temporarily single!

We had an early night just after sailaway 9pm

• Like 2

Thursday Mykonos

8am till 6pm

Temperatures 16C and sunny-actually probably nearer 20C so very nice warm day

We have ben to Mykonos several times and first time we tendered which is actually the best scenario as you get right into the heart of the village with its winding pathways

However first ship in or that with most clout gets that spot

Otherwise you dock at Ferry port where tourists catch ferries to other islands and there is a shuttle bus laid on to Mykonos centre.

I decided to get off the ship and take a few photos of the ship from the pier.

There was a guy directing people to a boat to Mykonos centre from 2 euros-K P and R later said they walked to Mykonos which was a pretty rough road and they gor that boat back which was much better.

It was a pleasant sunny day so went to the almost deserted pool deck and got some sun

K P and R came by and said a few people had posted on the roll call about missing the sailawy so decided to try again at 5pm today

There were 9 of us 1 couple and 2 sisters and we all had a good conversation.

The couple were sailing in Haven and told us a funny[in hindsight] story

There is a vestibule outside their door and she had stepped outside in middle of night and door slammed behind her

She had no room card or mobile and was partially dressed!

She had to wait until her husband woke up and investigated where she was!

We were supposed to be dining at Moderno but 6 was having one of his fuzzy headed days which have been a troublesome legacy of his brain haemorrhage.

We rearranged for next  night and had quick meal in O Sheehans

6 went to lie down and I went along to Magnums to catch pianist Alpar and new act E cube-husband and wife team which were good

Retired 10pm    

• Like 1

Friday

Rhodes

Sunny 17C

We first visited Rhodes in 1985 the year before we got married and stayed in Lindos

Whereas it would have been fun to revisit Lindos was very hilly and so out  of the question

The pool deck was in sun no wind and perhaps a dozen people up there

I attempted full on sunbathing whilst 6 sat in shade behind me and chatting to bar waiters

One in particular  was very good-turned out he was from Mauritius and had Bachelor degree and was going to do Masters when was distracted by cruise work

He was on track for bar manager status but pandemic put spoke in wheels

6 discussed his first post Degree job was washing buses for 2 years until he manged to secure a job in IT his career choice.

Life is never predictable.

Friends from USA  had booked an April cruise for next year with credit from several cancelled cruises due to Pandemic

Their spring break never co incides with our Easter holidays but dates this time worked out!!

I bought 2 cruise next certificates and booked on board  for extra 10% discount and a free stateroom upgrade.

Would make a fly cruise package when got home in view of cancelled flights scenario this time.

Cruise is 1-8 April 2023 Port Canaveral to Eastern Caribbean.

Other friends live in Florida and by deferring return flight by a week means we can spend time with them at their timeshare-something to look forward to.

I spent a couple of hours in the spa enjoying views of Rhodes before showering and heading out to Modernos

My stomach was still a bit unsettled so just nibbled the highly spiced meats-it was a free meal anyway so didn’t feel too bad

The sisters from sailaway meet and greet were at the next table so exchanged news

Modernos overlooks the pool deck and there were several people enjoying the afternoon sun.

We headed to Magnums for the evening and were joined by K P and R

K admitted to being drunk as they had found a bar in Rhodes and ordered a large beer which turned out to be 4 pints!

They got back on ship to continue on champagne

R was just rolling his eyes at his parents drunken state!

• Like 2

Saturday Santorini

Sunny 18C

It was a full day arriving 8am leaving 9.30

We were awoken by tender announcements but as the ship was half empty by tender 8 announced most people were off ship who wanted to.

Santorini there is no choice but to tender

Ships excursions to nearby port where coaches can drive down switch back road to sea level

Independent travel to port of Fira and take cable car.

The freestyle daily had an advisory warning people not to take donkey rides due to their poor treatment and not even to try to walk the path as strenuous 600 steps and covered in donkey poo as well as being very slippery.

We had been to Santorini a few years previously and took cable car to top where we were met by private taxi who took us on tour of the island.

In keeping with theme of cruise I headed to deserted pool deck in sun and was soon approached by bar waiter-why not I’ll have a Rebellious fish

This was our last day unfortunately

K P and R got back on ship lunchtime having taken ships tout to Oia and were contemplating packing

I headed for Magnums 3pm for arts and crafts beaded fox

There were 3 adults and only 1 child this time

It was fun and relaxing although I reckon mine looked more like a lizard!

Afterwards it was a final trip to spa and watch the views of Fira and tenders to and fro and the cars of the cable system running up and down.

At $129 for the week it was well worth cost of pass for me.

We had a 6.30 reservation at cagneys and again were seated next to the sisters. They were heading back to USA next day and commented they would definitely plan a longer stay than a week next time.

Ribeye steak was huge -very tasty but only managed to eat ¼

6 was feeling fuzzy headed so went to lie down in cabin whilst I managed apple pie and ice cream for dessert

I decided to have a trip to the Stardust theatre as west end singer was returning for a second night

It was billed as night with Phantom but he sang songs from several musicals and a tribute to Freddy Mercury as finale with we will Rock You

An entertaining hour but the 300 capacity theatre had about 50 people in there.

I came out to find 6 waiting for me in Magnums so had couple drinks listening to Brian

We headed to bed 10.30

• Like 3

Sunday Athens

Alarm was set for 7 but usual housekeeping knock on door 10 mins prior to make sure you’re up and ready to vacate!

We had booked a disembarkation tour through NCL to use credit and also to fill in some time before spending a long day at the airport.

We met about 40 others in Stardust theatre 8am and 8.15 we were escorted off the ship and to collect luggage.

We were then instructed to load it onto a coach which would meet us at finish of tour at the Acroolis and take us on to the airport.

Then it was onto a HOHO open air bus tour

I decided to sit downstairs with 6 as less noisy

We were given earphones to listen to recorded commentary but I found it difficult to listen to

The guide did talk on upper deck but no microphone so you could only hear him if were right next to him

He handed out maps and were able to follow quite easily.

Whereas Easter weekend for us was the previous week in Greece it was celebrated this weekend so Athens very quiet.

We passed by all the yachts in the harbour and spotted which one would be ours-the rusted dredger at the back

6 hobby 30 years ago was repairing old cars so that would have been his project

This weekend back home he was repairing our rusted petrol lawnmower with fibre glass filler-about as much as he can manage now!

Near the port the site of the Olympic village was an eyesore-unlike that in Barcelona which was converted to luxury apartments and hotels afterwards

The site of the 1920s Olympic stadium in centre is much better looked after.

We had a 10 minute toilet stop near here

I decided to go and regretted it-no toilet paper and the stinkiest toilets I have ever experienced.

Main stop was the10am changing of guards at the parliamentary building

This looks comical but our guide filled us in on the strength required to kick out with those wooden clogs

Military service is mandatory in Greece but only the elite are chosen for this guard role For a start you have to be over 6 ft tall

The uniforms are hand made and take 2 weeks to make

The city tour ended at base of Acropolis where we met up with our coach with luggage

We toured the Acropolis years ago. It is very tricky going even for able bodied

The marble steps are extremely slippery

There is a disabled lift but it’s a single chair hoisted vertically up a hundred yard cliff face-no thanks!!!

We got to the airport 12 noon-only 8 hours to kill

There isn’t a British Airways ticket desk I had thought of enquiring about standby for an earlier flight

We joined baggage drop queue  and was originally told would have to come back 6 pm to check in bags as was too early-there was no seating area for 6 and when I mentioned wheelchair assistance there was an immediate change of attitude.

She printed out boarding cards and called for guy with manual wheelchair to fast track us through security and to gate area.

Actually my handbag caused an issue with xray showing up a metal spike-turned out to be my hairbrush!!

We were still far too early but at least had comfortable seats and they left 6 in the wheelchair which turned out to be a godsend.

It was a long day of watching earlier full flights head to Heathrow

Our 8pm departure time was looking in jeopardy as the incoming flight was late so amended to 8.40

As gate opened a line of pre boarders of pushchairs and wheelchair lined up but no one came for 6

I mentioned 6 had been left with wheelchair so I pushed him to the desk and you could tell by the look on the guys face who was assisting another lady that he had been overlooked

He took lady down to plane then returned for us-if we hadn’t already had that wheelchair would have made it quite awkward.

Once on board it was a quick fill up of plane as the pilot explained the late incoming flight was due to air traffic delays and we had a 20 minute window to be airborne otherwise would be delay of several hours

That would have been the final straw

Fortunately got airborne in time        

Greece 2 hours ahead so local arrival time 10.30pm

Wheelchair assistance consisted of 3 young guys keen to try out new toy-a double electric baby buggy with me and 6 in front and other 2 guys accompanying    us with our cases

It was an underground tour which ended directly at Blue Circle meet and greet office in short stay car park

It was 11.30pm by this time and desk closed between midnight and 4am so we were pushing it finely

Retrieved car and drove 10 minutes to Daughters who had waited up to let us in

I was too wired to sleep by this point so opened bottle of wine for a nightcap

Unfortunately I was informed next morning I had opened their anniversary present from a friend which they were saving until Diane can drink again[8 months pregnant and will be breast feeding so that’s going to be a while!

When we got home it cost be £35 for a similar bottle I had delivered to them[thought it tasted rather nice!]

So we had successfully returned to cruising and have our next cruise planned on a back to back QM2 transatlantic in July

• Like 4

just a couple points we noted post refurbishment

The coffee maker has been removed which actually creates more room for shelves

we never used it but dont know if its an option to request 

there is 1 usb point under the tv but would be useful to have one by bedside

NCL app much improved

to use it you only need to be connected to the ships network 

you dont need to use any of your package minutes or mobile data provided by phone provider

• Like 1