International Café and the Bakery - Majestic

Zeke Eak

I'll be going to Alaska on the Majestic in September.

Is there much of a difference between the food in the International Café and the Bakery (in the buffet area)? Pictures make it look similar.

Thanks for the replies

The Bakery (at the buffet) is basically all desserts with a hot beverage station in the center.

The cafe has hot beverages, desserts, small salads, sandwiches, soup of the day, and small pies/quiches. And more importantly, is open 24/7. (At least, 6AM to 2AM; I've heard people say that they sometimes shut down for half an hour during the wee hours for cleaning, but never saw it happen.)

Almond Croissants (on mornings they are available) on Majestic Princess are only at the International Cafe.

Edited by RSS from SF
  • Like 1

The bakery in the buffet is limited. I always went to the international cafe for an early breakfast with a latte, because the IC had things I loved--egg muffin, fruit cup, and a variety of cream-filled berliner donuts. I brought a plastic tray and took my breakfast to a window seat in the Vines bar, so I could isolate and sit watching the waves.  At lunch and in the evening, the buffet wins out for me over the IC, because of the variety and quality of desserts and cheeses. I also loved trying out the noodle bar, which had daily specials to try, and I enjoyed exploring the Alfredo's menu, apart from pizza (it's best on a port day, since it gets packed on sea days). 

The buffet has basic donuts, croissants, some rolls, and banana bread, as well as various danishes. The IC gets more elaborate pastries, like berliner donuts and some others, depending on the day and time. I usually have an early breakfast in the IC on Majestic, and then a later one in the buffet or dining room, so you can sample everything. Another hint is to do a walk-by of the buffet early at dinner, because a lot of the MDR dessert items are duplicated there, in smaller portions, so you can try a dessert or two in the buffet and then try something else in the MDR, particularly the amazing Curtis Stone chocolate ones. The buffet has things like the pistachio creme brulee and caramel pudding that are heavenly, and I would take extras back to my room to store in my fridge as a snack. 

5 hours ago, rj59 said:

Another hint is to do a walk-by of the buffet early at dinner, because a lot of the MDR dessert items are duplicated there, in smaller portions, so you can try a dessert or two in the buffet and then try something else in the MDR, particularly the amazing Curtis Stone chocolate ones.

Norman Love, not Curtis Stone.

• Like 2