Civitavecchia (port) // Rome by Train 2024: Your questions answered here!

euro cruiser

20 minutes ago, rsuehle said:

Aside from the length of time, do I care about which train? Etruschi line vs 12522 vs FrecciaBianca? 

Apples and oranges.  The Etruschi is a regional, so it can't sell out, there are no seat reservations, no place to store luggage, and the trackhead for this line is three city blocks from the main trackhead at Termini.  Plus the train makes six stops before Civitavecchia, which means people climbing over you and your luggage to get to the door while others are trying to get on and climb over you and your stuff looking for a place to stand or sit.

The Frecce goes non-stop to Civitavecchia, you have an assigned seat, there is room to store your bags and the train leaves from the main trackhead.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi. First time to Civitavecchia.  So. As I understand it, we disembark the ship and a bus takes us to the terminal?  Where do we claim luggage and go through customs?  Also, where do we catch a bus for the train station?
Thanks for any and al. Help!

No, you disembark the ship at either the cruise terminal or, if you're at the northern berths, at another terminal where you'll claim your luggage.  Generally with Med cruises there is no passport control or customs because you haven't left the Schengen zone.

After collecting your luggage you can take a bus from the terminal to the train station for 6 euro.

• Like 2

On 7/6/2024 at 7:54 PM, euro cruiser said:

No, you disembark the ship at either the cruise terminal or, if you're at the northern berths, at another terminal where you'll claim your luggage.  Generally with Med cruises there is no passport control or customs because you haven't left the Schengen zone.

After collecting your luggage you can take a bus from the terminal to the train station for 6 euro.

So how to find where our ship (HAL) will dock? It says 7AM arrival, can we expect to ride 8:01 AM train to Rome?

On 6/10/2024 at 12:55 PM, euro cruiser said:

That is apparently the earliest that Trenitalia will sell you a bus ticket.  That does not necessarily mean that the bus doesn't run earlier, they are two different agencies.  You can pay the driver in cash (6 euro) for the bus ride when boarding.  Regional trains cannot sell out.

From the Port Mobility web site:

DIRECT CRUISE / RAILWAY STATION SERVICE

The special public transport line service connects the Civitavecchia Train Station with the Cruise Ships and vice versa.

The service, which is exclusively for cruise passengers, operates from 7 a.m.-7:30 p.m. until 6:30 p.m.-7:00 p.m. on ship departure/arrival days only. The shuttle takes approximately 15 minutes to arrive at the destination and it leaves approximately every 20/25 minutes depending on the traffic and passenger pick-up/drop-off operations.

Link here:  Shuttles | Port Mobility Civitavecchia

I guess Trenitalia sells local bus ticket which needs another transfer at Largo della Pace? Not the port mobility one directly off ship?

On 6/21/2024 at 7:02 AM, gwene said:

I came to this forum for advice and thought I would follow up with what actually worked for us.

We were in port on Sat June, 8. Our in port time was listed as 7am -10pm. We walked off the boat right at 7am. Took free shuttle. Port Mobility doesn't start until 8am. Walked 1 mile to train station following crowd and signs. It seemed like more than a mile. Arrived 7:40. Bought 5 zone birg for 12.00. Took 8:01 regionale. Arrived 9ish depending on where you get off. We were going to the Colosseum first. We bought our tickets on the official website exactly 30 days in advance and had to get up at 2 am to get in the queue to get them. We were able to snap 10:30, but 10 would have been ideal. Anyway when we got off the Regionale we road the underground  B -2 stops. Download rick steves tour if you don't get the audio in your package. It was excellent. Entry was fast with the tickets bought ahead of time. Make sure you have your passport. Side note if your ticket is 11 is for Colosseum, get off at Circus Maximus and walk by it and in the Roman Forum before the Colosseum. It gets crowded later. The line to get into it after the colosseum was VERY VERY long. 

If you don't do the official tickets several people on our train in had a city pass. No idea if it is better or not it just seemed to be popular with those touring on their own. It included a HOHO.
We had a 3:30 tour time for the Vatican Museums. We reserved those 60 days in advance. In between the Colosseum and the Vatican we were able to see the Trevi fountain, Spanish Steps, Pantheon. After the Vatican. We went to the Sistine Chapel and St. Peter's pretty much moving with the crowd. It was crowded.
All in all we walked 13ish miles and listened to 4 Rick Steves guides.
Took regional 6:32 from S Pietro to Civitavecchia. 
We planned to take the Port mobility, but a taxi van was at the station and it was offering the same price. We rode with a few others. It was fast and easy.

Is the port free shuttle only stop at the Largo della Pace or you can request stop at Fort Michelangelo which is only 600 meters from train station? Any taxi or uber available at Largo della Pace?

The Civitavecchia port calendar does show the berth, but it only puts out the information a week at a time:  Porto di Civitavecchia: arrivi e partenze settimanali | Port Mobility Civitavecchia

You should be able to make an 8:01 train from a 7:00 arrival, but there are no guarantees.

That train (Sundays only) is a regional, so there's no need nor point in purchasing the ticket in advance.  It cannot sell out and the price doesn't change based on when the ticket is purchased.

The free port shuttle is not supposed to drop off anywhere except Largo della Pace.

Uber as it is generally understood (amateur driver using a private vehicle) does not exist in Italy.  Where the Uber app works, it acts as a link to a professional transportation service.  In Rome you are connected to a car service company, in Naples to a taxi consortium.  Each municipality that allows Uber makes its own contract and arrangements with the company, and I don't know if Civitavecchia has anything with them.

There is a public bus from Largo della Pace, but you could wait a while for it.

There is also the 6 euro Port Mobility bus that takes you directly from your ship to the train station.  You can pay the driver on board the bus.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Forgive me if something similar to this has already been answered. If we are planning on catching a train from Rome Termini to Venice later in the day, what time do you suppose we should reserve it for to guarantee we can get off the ship, and get to Rome in time?

Also, the 6 euro bus to the train station in Civitivecchia… can that be paid with credit card? Or does it need to be cash?

Edited by furloughedagain

Posted (edited)

Book your train through from Civitavecchia to Rome (there is a Frecce from Civitavecchia each day at 9:16), that way if you miss the connection you are covered.

I don't know if the PortMobility bus takes credit cards, I would be prepared to pay in cash.  The website is silent on the matter.

Shuttles | Port Mobility Civitavecchia

Edited by euro cruiser

17 hours ago, furloughedagain said:

Also, the 6 euro bus to the train station in Civitivecchia… can that be paid with credit card? Or does it need to be cash?

The fare for the port bus to the Civitavecchia train station must be paid in cash and preferably the exact money. Credit cards are not accepted.

For embarkation at Civitavecchia, if I walk from the train station to the cruise port shuttle stop by Fort Michaelangelo just after the port entrance, will the free shuttle take me to Largo della Place first or would a specific bus take me directly to my cruise dock? If I have to take a shuttle to Largo della Place first, I may just walk the 20 minutes to the terminal if it isn’t too hot.

I can't say what actually happens, but the shuttle buses are not supposed to pick up passengers at the fort.  

First you need to determine where your ship is berthed, that makes a big difference.  If you are at the #12/#13 berths, where the new cruise terminals are located, you can walk there from the train station (worst case is about a mile and a half).

If, on the other hand, you are at #25, you cannot walk there and must get the shuttle bus from Largo della Pace OR take the 6 euro Port Mobility bus from the train station directly to your ship.

Shuttles | Port Mobility Civitavecchia

Apologies if these questions have already been answered, but I couldn't find answers in Google or searching this thread...

I've purchased tickets on the Trenitalia website for our upcoming cruise. I've booked from Roma Termini to Civitavecchia Porto (return ticket), so that includes the transfer bus from the station to the port.

1) The tickets specify a time for the bus connections - are these times just indicative (i.e. we should be able to get a bus at that time, but just take the first bus that turns up)? Or do we have to be on the bus at the time shown on the tickets? I hope that we can take any bus as I'd rather take an earlier bus from the port to the station so we have time to amble to the platform. 

2) Having read up on the check in process I think we understand it. However, what isn't clear is whether we need to check in before getting on the bus for our return journey (port to station)? Or do we just check in for the train?

Thanks for your help 😊

Yes, I've read the PDF. All it states is that I need to check in online prior to travelling. It doesn't mention if that's required for the portlink bus transfer part, or just the train. 

It also doesn't state anything about the portlink bus and whether we're tied to the specific time stated on the ticket. 

Thanks for the info euro cruiser. I'll drop them a line. 

I will try just getting on whatever bus suits us, but thought I'd ask the questions here to see what others experiences were. 

1 minute ago, euro cruiser said:

If you want only the train fare, choose Civitavecchia.

If you want the train and the bus from the train station to your ship, choose Civitavecchia Porto.

Very helpful, I really appreciate it.

Posted (edited)

Here, I think I did it correctly. If we go with 2nd class, looks like I can pick Bimbi Gratis. The cruise departures at 5 PM, doesthe time shown here is good? They had an earlier time too but I read online that I shpul opt to select my seat so I picked this times slot Thank you

IMG_2018.jpeg

Edited by Tina80