Will more shore excursions be added?

Hi! I’m a cruise newbie….we will be taking a family cruise vacation on Carnival Vista in May 2023 (total of 16 people). Can someone tell me if more shore excursions will be added as it gets closer to the date of the cruise? I’ve been looking at excursions at the various ports of call so I can get an idea of what I want to do (and to budget for the excursions). I realize we are still 13 months out from the cruise, so maybe it’s too early to start planning anything definitive. At this time, there are 12 excursions listed for Mahogany Bay, only six listed for Belize and 13 listed for Cozumel. Should I expect to see more as it gets closer? Or will this be it? Thanks in advance for any input!

Edited by Rock Chalk Jayhawk

I asked my PVP the same question about my Sept 2023 cruise (only 10 excursions listed currently) and she said to check after May 2.  Maybe more will be opening up by then.  If not, I have seen excursions added up until a couple months before a cruise, so keep looking.  We loved Tabayana Beach as an excursion at Mahogany Bay and River Tubing through Caves in Belize.  Also Goff's Caye in Belize.  I hope your group has a wonderful cruise!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, lazydayz said:

I would expect more to be added.  But with that large of a group, you could arrange private excursions and save everyone a lot of more and probably have more fun. 

This is true, but I would keep in mind the distance you are traveling from the ship to your excursion's destination.  We did the River Cave tubing in Belize and it was a 90 minute drive from port.  Also if Carnival offers the same excursion (they didn't when we were in Belize) they will price match the private excursion.  Just a thought.

• Like 2

Howdy! We did this exact same itinerary on the Vista at the end of last August. IIRC, that' about all the choice we had when we booked, and it didn't change much...if at all. We did the beach at Mahogany Bay right at the cruise port. Beautiful beach, but we found it rather difficult to get out of the water and onto the beach. It's really steep right at water's edge, but levels off rather quickly. Loved the food they served there. The bar was great. We'd do that again in a heartbeat.

For Belize, wife stayed on the ship and made it a port day. I took the Altan Ha Mayan ruins and really enjoyed it, even though it rained on and off the entire time I was there. It included a real Belizean lunch afterwards. Very good.  After the tour bus let us at the port area, I discovered the Wet Lizard Bar & Grill, and I have to say that was the highlight of my cruise. I loved it.

https://www.facebook.com/the.wet.lizard/

In Cozumel, we booked a day at Nachi Cocum. beautiful all inclusive beach club. Food was great, and they gave you lots of it. And the drinks were incredible. It was not a Carnival excursion. 

https://www.cozumelnachicocom.com/?utm_source=tripadvisor&utm_medium=referral

• Like 1

All good ideas so far.  Here are my suggestions:

Cozumel - taxis to Paradise Beach - great food and drinks, lovely, shallow pool, with a nice beach and toys for the more active types.  Way cheaper than Nachi Cocum, which is more laid back than Paradise Beach.  You can check out both websites.  And if the beach/pool idea is not what some of your group is looking for, they can taxi to downtown and shop, eat and drink.  It is very safe and everyone speaks English (some better than others). 

Belize - while I loved cave tubing, it is far from the port, on very bumpy roads and may not be suitable for all age groups.  We trekked about 30 minutes in the rain forest, carrying our intertubes, before the jumping in point. Check out snorkeling the Barrier Reef.  Second largest in the world and very easy to do from the port (you take a tender over to the port).  If you have some who don't want to snorkel, the private vendors offer some where you snorkel for a bit (others can stay in the boat) then are dropped off at an island nearby.  That was a ton of fun, too. 

Mahogany Bay - it is tempting to just stay at the port.  Maybe rent a cabana to be headquarters for your group.  This is a Carnival excursion.  Or book a private van tour to explore the island.  

Enjoy researching - and let us know if you have any more questions.  

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, lazydayz said:

I would expect more to be added.  But with that large of a group, you could arrange private excursions and save everyone a lot of more and probably have more fun. 

Thanks for the reply. There are 16 in the family going on the cruise, but everyone is free to do as they wish on excursions. This should allow for us all to book excursions that individuals are interested in. My boyfriend’s siblings all have kids so they’re interests will definitely be different than ours. 

1 hour ago, Joe817 said:

Howdy! We did this exact same itinerary on the Vista at the end of last August. IIRC, that' about all the choice we had when we booked, and it didn't change much...if at all. We did the beach at Mahogany Bay right at the cruise port. Beautiful beach, but we found it rather difficult to get out of the water and onto the beach. It's really steep right at water's edge, but levels off rather quickly. Loved the food they served there. The bar was great. We'd do that again in a heartbeat.

For Belize, wife stayed on the ship and made it a port day. I took the Altan Ha Mayan ruins and really enjoyed it, even though it rained on and off the entire time I was there. It included a real Belizean lunch afterwards. Very good.  After the tour bus let us at the port area, I discovered the Wet Lizard Bar & Grill, and I have to say that was the highlight of my cruise. I loved it.

https://www.facebook.com/the.wet.lizard/

In Cozumel, we booked a day at Nachi Cocum. beautiful all inclusive beach club. Food was great, and they gave you lots of it. And the drinks were incredible. It was not a Carnival excursion. 

https://www.cozumelnachicocom.com/?utm_source=tripadvisor&utm_medium=referral

Thanks for the reply! I appreciate the recommendations! I was thinking the ruins in Belize sounds fun. I know it will be a lot of traveling, but not sure when I’ll have the opportunity again!

43 minutes ago, lazydayz said:

All good ideas so far.  Here are my suggestions:

Cozumel - taxis to Paradise Beach - great food and drinks, lovely, shallow pool, with a nice beach and toys for the more active types.  Way cheaper than Nachi Cocum, which is more laid back than Paradise Beach.  You can check out both websites.  And if the beach/pool idea is not what some of your group is looking for, they can taxi to downtown and shop, eat and drink.  It is very safe and everyone speaks English (some better than others). 

Belize - while I loved cave tubing, it is far from the port, on very bumpy roads and may not be suitable for all age groups.  We trekked about 30 minutes in the rain forest, carrying our intertubes, before the jumping in point. Check out snorkeling the Barrier Reef.  Second largest in the world and very easy to do from the port (you take a tender over to the port).  If you have some who don't want to snorkel, the private vendors offer some where you snorkel for a bit (others can stay in the boat) then are dropped off at an island nearby.  That was a ton of fun, too. 

Mahogany Bay - it is tempting to just stay at the port.  Maybe rent a cabana to be headquarters for your group.  This is a Carnival excursion.  Or book a private van tour to explore the island.  

Enjoy researching - and let us know if you have any more questions.  

The private cabana at Mahogany Bay is kind of what made me post my question to begin with. I see them listed on Carnival’s website when I explore excursions at Mahogany Bay port of call. However, they are not currently listed as an option when I look at the shore excursions offered on our specific cruise. 

We did the Amazing Race Cozumel the last time we were in Cozumel and had an absolute blast.  We've also done the Cozumel Bar Hop Tour, which takes you to the less inhabited part of the island (or at least it used to).

In Belize, we hired Experience Belize Day Tours with Allen.  Did a tour through the city and to the ruins.  He was super awesome.  Not sure he is still up and running post-covid, but I'd definitely look him up.  He has five stars on Trip Advisor.  

All of the above were tours/activities we booked off ship.  Like others said, I'm sure there will be more options through Carnival once you get closer to your sail date.  Enjoy your cruise!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Rock Chalk Jayhawk said:

The private cabana at Mahogany Bay is kind of what made me post my question to begin with. I see them listed on Carnival’s website when I explore excursions at Mahogany Bay port of call. However, they are not currently listed as an option when I look at the shore excursions offered on our specific cruise. 

My Vista cruise is in April 2023, I have been checking a couple of times a day for the cabanas in Mahogany Bay. I have heard they show up about a year in advance so I’ll keep checking and book one as soon as they do. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LaRue1975 said:

My Vista cruise is in April 2023, I have been checking a couple of times a day for the cabanas in Mahogany Bay. I have heard they show up about a year in advance so I’ll keep checking and book one as soon as they do. 

Good to know! I’ll definitely start checking a few times a day as well. Thanks!

• Like 1