Taking or renting a hoyer or other patient lift?

GRBlizz

My husband's MS and my age have progressed to the point that we can no longer easily transfer him from chair to bed and back without our hoyer. We have a cruise planned for August that will end overseas. Does anyone have experience either renting a patient lift, or bringing one especially on an overseas flight? Our hoyer says it is "portable" but that means it collapses to a pretty large size. We're willing to invest in something  new if there is a practical take along option. 

What do people do?

Special Needs at Sea rents patient hoists, but may not supply on an international cruise. I’d ask. https://www.specialneedsatsea.com/reserve-equipment/patient-lift-rentals/

while personal medical equipment generally flies free on flights involving US airports, I think you’d have some extra planning to do with getting anything from the ship to the airport and boxed/bagged appropriately.

Safe travels! Please share what you find!

• 3 months later...

My husband also has MS.  We have a hoyer lift and it really does take 2 people to do the transfer.  We keep for this times he ends up on the floor and then I call someone over to help me get him in the harness.

Have you tried a transfer board yet?

16 hours ago, TRadle said:

My husband also has MS.  We have a hoyer lift and it really does take 2 people to do the transfer.  We keep for this times he ends up on the floor and then I call someone over to help me get him in the harness.

Have you tried a transfer board yet?

We have not been able to master the transfer board, I think because of the impact of the MS on my husband's core balance and weaker arm function on one side. We used to do an assisted pivot transfer, but I am getting a bit too old to do this safely, so we use the hoyer at home all the time. I guess everyone's experience is different, but I have always (11 years) been able to manage it by myself.

I do appreciate your mentioning it. I wish we could master the sliding board, and we will try working on it again before the cruise.

I have learned that Special Needs at Sea does rent them, by the way.

45 minutes ago, GRBlizz said:

We have not been able to master the transfer board, I think because of the impact of the MS on my husband's core balance and weaker arm function on one side. We used to do an assisted pivot transfer, but I am getting a bit too old to do this safely, so we use the hoyer at home all the time. I guess everyone's experience is different, but I have always (11 years) been able to manage it by myself.

I do appreciate your mentioning it. I wish we could master the sliding board, and we will try working on it again before the cruise.

I have learned that Special Needs at Sea does rent them, by the way.

Which lift do you use? And how do you manage?  My husband is as good as paralyzed.  He only has a little bit of strength left in his arms.  This is a horrible disease. 

45 minutes ago, TRadle said:

Which lift do you use? And how do you manage?  My husband is as good as paralyzed.  He only has a little bit of strength left in his arms.  This is a horrible disease. 

We use an electronic lift we got years ago, but this seems to be the current version of it: https://www.spinlife.com/Bestcare-Lifts-Genesis-400-Electric-Power-Patient-Lift/spec.cfm?productID=80238

My husband does not really have to assist at all with the transfer. Email me and we can talk about how I do it if you want. I would love to help. Also, we can discuss meds. Hubby has had no progression in about 12 years since going on the newer infusion meds. He was already in a wheelchair, but at least he's otherwise holding his own.

7 hours ago, GRBlizz said:

We use an electronic lift we got years ago, but this seems to be the current version of it: https://www.spinlife.com/Bestcare-Lifts-Genesis-400-Electric-Power-Patient-Lift/spec.cfm?productID=80238

My husband does not really have to assist at all with the transfer. Email me and we can talk about how I do it if you want. I would love to help. Also, we can discuss meds. Hubby has had no progression in about 12 years since going on the newer infusion meds. He was already in a wheelchair, but at least he's otherwise holding his own.

That's our lift.  My husband is primary progressive and has had was diagnosed 25 years ago. 

• 1 month later...

Updating to say that we have arranged to rent a patient lift for our upcoming cruise through Special Needs at Sea. They only have manual lifts, and I have never used one, but I am hopeful I can figure it out!

56 minutes ago, GRBlizz said:

Updating to say that we have arranged to rent a patient lift for our upcoming cruise through Special Needs at Sea. They only have manual lifts, and I have never used one, but I am hopeful I can figure it out!

If you have a hospital supply store in reasonable driving distance, they might have one you could practice on…. EM

• Like 1