BARCELONA BOARDING COVID TESTING REQUIREMENT FOR MAY, WHAT IS AN EU CERTIFICATE AND IS IT NEEDED?

sdp48

Hi-

Can anyone clarify the restrictions on Barcelona  boarding for Covid at the current time?  I am  fully vaccinated American w boosters and my covid card with dates  of vax.  I saw something about an EU certificate being needed, but no Covid test.  I am going straight from airport to cruise ship (SILVERSEA).   Can anyone  PLEASE assist? I am traveling in May on Silver Sea. I am not sure what a EU certificate is and how to obtain one if one is needed.

TIA-

SDP

For our trip to Spain last month we did not need a EU Cert.  However, we did have to complete the SPTH Health Control and get the QR code to show upon arrival.  For all I know the SP TH Health Control is the same thing as the EU Certificate, IDK.    That was in addition to showing our digital vaccine record which also includes a CR code.   We were not on a cruise.   If that makes a difference then this isn't much help.  

Silversea would be a good resource I think.  

• Like 1

There are two authorities to satisfy when you travel internationally to board a cruise: one is the country of destination, and the other is the cruise line. These are two separate and distinct sets of requirements.

First, you must satisfy the requirements to enter Spain by air. IATA (International Air Transport Association) is the website that the airline employee who checks you in at the departure airport will consult to verify your documents. You can consult IATA yourself. Follow this link and click Spain on the map. https://www.iatatravelcentre.com/world.php

Sorting through Spain requirement number 1 it appears that you meet the proof of vaccination condition and need only complete and present the Spain Travel Health form: https://www.spth.gob.es/

You do not need the EU certificate, in lieu present the completed Spain Travel Health form.

Silversea requirements are here: https://www.silversea.com/lp-silversea-hrts-consumer-eu.html

"The EU requires that all embarking guests must hold proof of a valid antigen negative test result (administered by a verified third party, either a laboratory or pharmacy) performed within 24 hours of embarkation.

If you arrive for embarkation with a valid antigen negative test result (administered by a verified third party, either a laboratory or pharmacy), please make note you will enjoy expedited boarding. If you require pier-side testing by Silversea at embarkation, please note this will result in a delayed boarding process for you."

That pretty much sums it up.

• Like 2

Thank you so much! You both have given me great info.   To follow up, I spoke with SS and they told me I do need a valid negative Covid test to board the cruise, but Spain doesn't require one for entry (just that Spanish Travel Health form you guys mentioned).  I will also need a negative test  to travel home to the USA.  As a courtesy, SS offers Covid testing to those debarking and traveling home at the end of the cruise.  These things only apply bc of Vax and booster, so I would only go by this  info if you have both as it may be different.

-SDP

17 hours ago, sdp48 said:

Thank you so much! You both have given me great info.   To follow up, I spoke with SS and they told me I do need a valid negative Covid test to board the cruise, but Spain doesn't require one for entry (just that Spanish Travel Health form you guys mentioned).  I will also need a negative test  to travel home to the USA.  As a courtesy, SS offers Covid testing to those debarking and traveling home at the end of the cruise.  These things only apply bc of Vax and booster, so I would only go by this  info if you have both as it may be different.

-SDP

Ever since SS restarted (which was last summer), the cruise line has offered pier side testing before boarding.