In-room fan running constantly

MoneyGuy

Having just spent 24 days on the Nieuw Amsterdam the air movement from the ceiling AC fan bothered my wife. I don’t imagine that HAL can shut it down - at least when the AC is not running? Our next cruise is 69 days and she’s not looking forward to having to deal with it for all that time as it’s right over the bed. 

2 hours ago, MoneyGuy said:

Having just spent 24 days on the Nieuw Amsterdam the air movement from the ceiling AC fan bothered my wife. I don’t imagine that HAL can shut it down - at least when the AC is not running? Our next cruise is 69 days and she’s not looking forward to having to deal with it for all that time as it’s right over the bed. 

Typically, half of that vent is a fresh air supply duct, and half is the cabin recirculation duct.  If you turn the cabin thermostat so the AC "is not running", then there will be no air movement on that side.  However, the fresh air supply is constant, and is balanced by the bathroom exhaust taking out just as much air.  So, no, there is no way to stop the fresh air supply, even when it is heating season (the fresh air supply gets heated instead of cooled).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

Typically, half of that vent is a fresh air supply duct, and half is the cabin recirculation duct.  If you turn the cabin thermostat so the AC "is not running", then there will be no air movement on that side.  However, the fresh air supply is constant, and is balanced by the bathroom exhaust taking out just as much air.  So, no, there is no way to stop the fresh air supply, even when it is heating season (the fresh air supply gets heated instead of cooled).

And BOOM, just like that, after all these years, I finally understand what on earth the vent is doing and why it’s doing it.

Thank you!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, TiogaCruiser said:

What about in cabins that have no fan in the bathroom? Is there still a vent?

Our VB on Zuiderdam had no bathroom fan.😜

There is a small round vent on the wall or ceiling.  The fan is a common fan, shared by many cabins in that area, and the fan itself is in the "white space" along the centerline of the ship between the inside cabins.  You won't hear the fan, and likely not even the air movement.  The bathroom exhaust is sized to remove slightly less air than the fresh air supply brings into the cabin, creating a very slight overpressure in the cabin, which then leaks out past the gaps under the cabin door to the passageway.  This is designed so that if there is smoke in the passageway, it will not travel into all the cabins, the overpressure keeps the airflow the other way.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

Yes, we fashion a head-side-of-the-bed cover for the end of the vent to have the air not flowing on my head--I use sheets of the HAL note pad and scotch tape that I always bring and use.  I just tape the paper over just the end and voila, there is plenty of air into the room but not blowing directly on me!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1