Kmom on Carnival Radiance Semi-Live May 30-June 3, 2022 - FOURTH time on Carnival since resumption of cruising

On 5/30/2022 at 4:03 AM, Buffettfan 225 said:

We sailed Radiance end Feb, and did find seahorse handles on glass doors (do not recall where mdr?) and I think did not change mural in wall area you see while in atrium glass elevators. 

@Buffettfan 225 I’ll check out the sea day brunch tomorrow. I haven’t seen the door handles but did post the mosaic you mentioned by the glass elevators.

We did the spa today, at 8 when we opened. We put on swimsuits and our robes and sashayed one deck up, got our sticker (ooohhh) and plopped on the tiled loungers for about 20 minutes. It’s surprisingly comfortable for a hard surface. Then I hopped back and forth between the warm rain shower and cool aroma mist shower a few times before we experienced the two saunas in the thermal suite. The aroma steam room was too wet and too hot. 

We went up to Serenity for a dip in the hot tub, then rode both water slides, once each. Back to the spa where we both took showers in the locker rooms instead of our little cabin shower. 

The upgraded shampoo and shower gel were a bit better than the usual stuff. More conditioning for my hair and better lather and rinsing. 

A Carnival cleaning lady walked in on me with my back turned and I wouldn’t have known except she said, “sorry.” I really don’t care as I’m sure the experience was more painful for her than me.

Verdict on spa cabin: fine for free. Worth zero more dollars as I doubt we’d ever repeat any of it. Just not our thing at all, never has been and I hardly even understand how this stuff is a viable industry. I only get haircuts because I have to.

• Like 5
  • Haha 3

Light. 

That’s the key difference in the decor. Yes, the wackiness is gone, and the ship has a very current feel with a type of decor I call “beigeified.” It’s not entirely beige but it’s got that sleek, clean current modern feel. 

But the bigger difference for me, and the one I appreciate more, is light, which has been improved everywhere. The ship feels bright and cheerful and sunny like a beautiful spring day. 

The effect is calming and soothing rather than the heavy and at times jarring impact of the older designs. 

It seems you can be creative and unique, or you can be neutral and on-trend, but perhaps no one has figured out how to do all of that at once.

• Like 7

The wood rail on our balcony has been painted with a brown epoxy or other glossy paint that looks durable but only time will tell. The underside looks to have been left alone. There are tiny white bits of paint over it.7575AB3F-F7B3-4ED1-904E-D4CB02E42FB8.thumb.jpeg.f9f8c1f68b1769f4e2b06e2705105b5c.jpeg

6AD026A7-03F5-4988-8D44-D83B1616F569.thumb.jpeg.41a930d93b42d493650374d5f986131c.jpeg

EFEFDC20-0ACF-407A-B08C-499B48B75C5E.thumb.jpeg.b1f37aa7df73a6005c5879f17f397b5e.jpeg

I looked for rust but there’s only a little where the balcony dividers are connected to the deck above.

37505746-D146-4B40-9118-288BD9D346BE.thumb.jpeg.92f02641719ceede37211d496c7156d1.jpeg

2C97F39A-7069-46CD-9296-8D91A713A2DA.thumb.jpeg.d0786b99176fb0f72def74ddc8be2eff.jpeg

Edited by KmomChicago
  • Like 2

It’s been chilly, y’all! This is my coldest cruise since (now defunct) Sensation back in January 2018 (review linked in signature). 

50’s and 60’s (roughly 12-20 C) isn’t really cold of course but I thought June in SoCal and Baja would be closer to sizzly. Didn’t bring a light jacket. Teen bought a nice pullover hoodie in Avalon and needs it. 

Highs in the afternoon feel more like summertime but still never uncomfortably hot.

8445FEF1-C838-41C2-9EFC-82F01BF432BA.thumb.png.52d9fcffe68e111623b268db9efd5ee9.png

• Like 5

I think the ship is pretty full but will confirm later at Q and A. 

It rarely feels unacceptably crowded but like any ship there are bottlenecks at certain times and places. Getting to the buffet from the center pool requires passing one of two narrow walkways otherwise occupied by Guy’s Burger and Blue Iguana, yet everyone who wants to get through manages to do so.

While I wouldn’t seek out the Cloud 9 cabins again, the travel agent in me would note that I have not seen nor heard a single child sized person on our hallway at 10 forward starboard. 

It’s an exceptionally quiet location with well behaved neighbors.

• Like 6

At brunch the server mentioned the next cruise will be busier and expressed gratitude at having the work after the “long vacation.”

They told us TODAY steak and eggs is filet and that it now depends on supply chain availability between that and strip loin.

I recommend you ask on a day by day basis as it’s clearly not guaranteed anymore but also not 100% gone either.

Your mileage WILL vary, not might in this case.

Edited by KmomChicago
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

On 6/1/2022 at 7:47 PM, KmomChicago said:

It seems you can be creative and unique, or you can be neutral and on-trend, but perhaps no one has figured out how to do all of that at once.

The old carnival designs looked like they could be fun the first day but visually exhausting for a whole week. The Mardi Gras seems to have enough cool spaces (like around Emeril's and the Alchemy Bar) to add interest while still being lighter/brighter overall. We'll be on that in October to see for ourselves.

We have a Celebrity Apex cruise in January and from videos I've seen so far it seems the most promising at having lots of quirky touches and fun spaces but still bright and airy overall. Looking forward to both ships!

• Like 3

As we prepare to disembark I would like to say that my ambivalence about this trip had no negative impact. 

If anything, knowing we need a break from travel encouraged us to get all we could out of this cruise. 

For hubby and me, this now marks 25 nights on Carnival cruises in the past ten months, far more than I would have imagined. 

I don’t push myself or companions like I might have in the past, making rest and relaxation as much of a priority as fun and entertainment.

On the ships themselves, regardless of age or decor, we continue to find high value for the dollar and nothing significant to complain about.

Carnival is still a good brand for us. We love the Fun Crew and the casual atmosphere where we don’t have to try to impress anyone.

Fellow cruisers from Cali and surrounding areas are probably the chillest we’ve sailed with. Typical Carnival working class US demographics, generally well behaved, quiet and polite.

I’m nervous about logistics today to get to our hotel on a busy Angelino Friday, but perversely excited to hit the 405 for a short stretch so I can say we survived it. Nowhere near those Sepulveda photos that have been scaring the bejeezus out of me. We’re staying just south of LAX not far from Manhattan Beach which we intend to visit if the sun and warmth allow this weekend.

• Like 14

Buffet is super busy as we dock, with carry off luggage piled around the full tables, but today Kmom and company are in no hurry as my only goal is to get settled at our hotel which should be about a 30-45 minute drive. 

Out of rooms by 8:30 and all passengers must be off by 9:30. We’re going towards the end of that, have to Uber to car rental place and I see no reason to do so in the heavy rush.

We were among the last off in Baltimore and it was nice to deal with a nearly empty terminal and reduced chaos overall.

Cap’n or maybe the Pilot just shut down the main thrusters. That sinking feeling when you feel the vibration stop and realize another voyage has come to its end.

• Like 7

10 minutes ago, Ranyw said:

Welcome back! Hopefully the overcast (fog) isn’t too bad.  In LA we  call it June gloom. 😖

It’s very overcast. I was amazed at how many locals brought, and wore, actual parkas on this cruise. All we even brought from Illinois are the crappiest disposable plastic ponchos.

The Beach Boys promised me Endless Summer decades ago and I intended to collect on this pledge! What the heck? 😅☀️🌞🌅🌤🌄🌇️🌥😎🥶❄️☁️🧣🧥

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

Brittos for sale. I actually know a rich guy back in Illinois who commissioned an original Britto of HIMSELF. And I’ve been in the room with it.

It’s cool as $h1+ of course but somehow changes my whole perception of these items.

image.thumb.jpg.f003886015e991b4bb82e67cea3b25d4.jpg

• Like 6

12 minutes ago, KmomChicago said:

It’s very overcast. I was amazed at how many locals brought, and wore, actual parkas on this cruise. All we even brought from Illinois are the crappiest disposable plastic ponchos.

The Beach Boys promised me Endless Summer decades ago and I intended to collect on this pledge! What the heck? 😅☀️🌞🌅🌤🌄🌇️🌥😎🥶❄️☁️🧣🧥

May and June gloom....typical in Southern California...growing up as a teen in San Diego...you just knew June was a lousy beach month!!  sometimes it will burn off as the day progresses....enjoy the rest of your trip!   Even many many years ago I did not want to drive in LA!!  Stay safe!!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

We were the last party seated for MDR breakfast this morning. Avocado toast was looking a little over it ( light on the avo, slightly brown and I think the toast slice had been split as it was very thin). 

Not that we minded much. Still reasonably tasty and a restaurant breakfast for four like this would probably cost around 50 bucks.

Time to restock the ship! 

We were late being cleared. Just before 8:30 they called the first self debark groups and lowest checked numbers. 

Just chilling in the near empty RedFrog pub on deck 5.

Edited by KmomChicago
  • Like 8