B2B procedures for Mediterranean Cruise?

smixsell

Hi. I've lurked for many months but have not posted until now. I felt compelled to do so regarding the questions on testing procedures for recent European cruises.

We were on a 21-day cruise on the Regal from Mar. 26 to Apr. 16 earlier this year. We were never told we had to get off the ship in Rome or Athens and test negative before being allowed to re-embark the ship. Nothing was in the Patter about it the night before those ports either. Keep in mind that we had excursions planned for both ports anyway but there was no generalized directive about having to disembark/test/re-embark at all at that time.

We did have to test, as per Italy rules, before our first Italian port in Genoa on Mar. 31 (an antigen test was done on the 30th, free of charge by Princess). We didn't get to Rome until Apr. 2 and Athens was on Apr. 9. We did not have to test before any Greek port. The test on Mar. 31 was self-administered, observed by our room steward who took the samples to the med lab on board to be verified. We were never told we were negative. It was a "no news is good news" scenario. Thankfully, we were negative and were able to disembark in Genoa and later Italian ports.

We also had a test done the day before the end of the cruise, before we left the ship in Barcelona. That was also free of charge by Princess. Princess provided a printed copy of our negative results. I don't remember now if we needed a negative test to fly or if it was for U.S. customs but Spain didn't require it when we arrived back in port. Spain did require proof of a negative test before we flew into Barcelona  before the cruise began.

I hope the above info helps some but if the rules have changed recently regarding having to disembark in Rome and Athens, that's awful for anyone cruising in Europe now. It just adds to the stress.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

37 minutes ago, applebutter said:

Hi. I've lurked for many months but have not posted until now. I felt compelled to do so regarding the questions on testing procedures for recent European cruises.

We were on a 21-day cruise on the Regal from Mar. 26 to Apr. 16 earlier this year. We were never told we had to get off the ship in Rome or Athens and test negative before being allowed to re-embark the ship. Nothing was in the Patter about it the night before those ports either. Keep in mind that we had excursions planned for both ports anyway but there was no generalized directive about having to disembark/test/re-embark at all at that time.

We did have to test, as per Italy rules, before our first Italian port in Genoa on Mar. 31 (an antigen test was done on the 30th, free of charge by Princess). We didn't get to Rome until Apr. 2 and Athens was on Apr. 9. We did not have to test before any Greek port. The test on Mar. 31 was self-administered, observed by our room steward who took the samples to the med lab on board to be verified. We were never told we were negative. It was a "no news is good news" scenario. Thankfully, we were negative and were able to disembark in Genoa and later Italian ports.

We also had a test done the day before the end of the cruise, before we left the ship in Barcelona. That was also free of charge by Princess. Princess provided a printed copy of our negative results. I don't remember now if we needed a negative test to fly or if it was for U.S. customs but Spain didn't require it when we arrived back in port. Spain did require proof of a negative test before we flew into Barcelona  before the cruise began.

I hope the above info helps some but if the rules have changed recently regarding having to disembark in Rome and Athens, that's awful for anyone cruising in Europe now. It just adds to the stress.

Thanks and welcome to CC! More positive vibes for no testing on transition days in the middle of our upcoming 21 day Med cruise scheduled to leave Barcelona on July 2 on the Regal. Of course, all this can change in the blink of an eye, but for right now it’s looking pretty good! 😁

The only question then remaining is will Princess administer the antigen test prior to leaving the ship or at the terminal, or will we have to do it on our own at the airport before flying home? I realize they tested you on the ship. However, there are rumbles that provision is changing. Hopefully, the US will eliminate the 24 hour testing requirement to fly back to the US if you are at least fully vaccinated and boosted! Then this would become a moot point.

Edited by Ken the cruiser