Trying to decide between 2 itineraries - Iceland/Greenland/Norway etc

Neither one is port intensive and both are 14 day. I'm just not finding a lot of information on what to do in Greenland. One cruise is 3 days in Greenland with Halifax and Newfoundland. The other is 2 days Greenland, 2 days Iceland, 1 day Norway and Copenhagen. 

Can anyone give an opinion? One I have booked but thinking I might want to change.

On 5/7/2022 at 9:30 PM, Choozin Croozin said:

Neither one is port intensive and both are 14 day. I'm just not finding a lot of information on what to do in Greenland. One cruise is 3 days in Greenland with Halifax and Newfoundland. The other is 2 days Greenland, 2 days Iceland, 1 day Norway and Copenhagen. 

Can anyone give an opinion? One I have booked but thinking I might want to change.

The big thing in Greenland is the big icebergs as well as the remoteness, which is very different to more commonly visited ports/countries, so depends on if that is of interest to you, but you will not see many icebergs in all ports.  What Greenland ports are in your cruises?  Also have you been to any of the non Greenland ports previously?

In both Iceland and Greenland I would suggest excursions to see the things if real interest and the better Greenland ones often sell out early as well and are pricey so another point to consider.  One day in Norway will not take you up a fjord, but Bergen would be a good port if visited, which along with Copenhagen, are good, easy DIY's.  I do not know N America that well, but think both ports would be easy DIY's as well.

Edited by tring

7 hours ago, tring said:

The big thing in Greenland is the big icebergs as well as the remoteness, which is very different to more commonly visited ports/countries, so depends on if that is of interest to you, but you will not see many icebergs in all ports.  What Greenland ports are in your cruises?  Also have you been to any of the non Greenland ports previously?

In both Iceland and Greenland I would suggest excursions to see the things if real interest and the better Greenland ones often sell out early as well and are pricey so another point to consider.  One day in Norway will not take you up a fjord, but Bergen would be a good port if visited, which along with Copenhagen, are good, easy DIY's.  I do not know N America that well, but think both ports would be easy DIY's as well.

Let's just say we loved Alaska. I did end up switching to the Iceland and Greenland tour .These are the ports: 

Copenhagen, Denmark
Kristiansand, Norway

Aukreyri, Iceland
Reykjavik, Iceland
Reykjavik, Iceland

Nanortalik, Greenland
Qaqortoq, Greenland

There is an overnight in Reykjavik. 

Thank you for your insight. 

15 hours ago, Choozin Croozin said:

Let's just say we loved Alaska. I did end up switching to the Iceland and Greenland tour .These are the ports: 

Copenhagen, Denmark
Kristiansand, Norway

Aukreyri, Iceland
Reykjavik, Iceland
Reykjavik, Iceland

Nanortalik, Greenland
Qaqortoq, Greenland

There is an overnight in Reykjavik. 

Thank you for your insight. 

Kristiansand is to the south of Norway and is a seaside resort for them, though it is a very pleasant, unspoilt little place with a nice seafront.  Not majestic mountains, but fine as a relaxed stop.  There is about a two hour sail in and out of Akureyri and suggest you spend at least some of that time out on deck or in an suitable place on the ship as you often see whales there.  We saw a Blue Whale when sailing out, which caused much excitement to both us and the wildlife expert on the ship, who had not seen one previously.  I do suggest you consider excursions from both Akureyri (the jewels of the North) and Reykjavik (the golden circle) as the main points about Iceland is the bubbling mud pools, geysirs, waterfalls and general landscape - though you may have seen similar elsewhere.

The Greenland ports are not where you will see lots of icebergs, but the remoteness of the community is special to us.  Our small ship arranged for various things to be available in Nanortalik and we enjoyed the day immensely.  We also went to the (?folk) museum there, which was a collection of older houses (a short walk from our tender drop off point), showing how the community used to be.  You should be fine doing everything on the day.  Not an awful lot in Qaqortoq, but we did the Kaffemik which we did enjoy.  There are a couple of Greenland threads further down this board, so worth having a look at that, can also get better advice on how the ports work with bigger ships (max 700 pax on ours).

Hope you enjoy your cruise, which gives a lot of variety,

Barbara

Edited by tring

With an overnight port stop, you may have time to do a south coast tour the first day. Not sure when the cruise is, but there's a good chance you'll have very extended daylight.  You may have time to do an abbreviated Golden Circle tour the next day, depending on departure times.  You could also do the Blue Lagoon, or new Sky Lagoon.

9 hours ago, tring said:

Kristiansand is to the south of Norway and is a seaside resort for them, though it is a very pleasant, unspoilt little place with a nice seafront.  Not majestic mountains, but fine as a relaxed stop.  There is about a two hour sail in and out of Akureyri and suggest you spend at least some of that time out on deck or in an suitable place on the ship as you often see whales there.  We saw a Blue Whale when sailing out, which caused much excitement to both us and the wildlife expert on the ship, who had not seen one previously.  I do suggest you consider excursions from both Akureyri (the jewels of the North) and Reykjavik (the golden circle) as the main points about Iceland is the bubbling mud pools, geysirs, waterfalls and general landscape - though you may have seen similar elsewhere.

The Greenland ports are not where you will see lots of icebergs, but the remoteness of the community is special to us.  Our small ship arranged for various things to be available in Nanortalik and we enjoyed the day immensely.  We also went to the (?folk) museum there, which was a collection of older houses (a short walk from our tender drop off point), showing how the community used to be.  You should be fine doing everything on the day.  Not an awful lot in Qaqortoq, but we did the Kaffemik which we did enjoy.  There are a couple of Greenland threads further down this board, so worth having a look at that, can also get better advice on how the ports work with bigger ships (max 700 pax on ours).

Hope you enjoy your cruise, which gives a lot of variety,

Barbara

Thank you so much for your advice. I am making notes of all these suggestions.

6 hours ago, ljandgb said:

With an overnight port stop, you may have time to do a south coast tour the first day. Not sure when the cruise is, but there's a good chance you'll have very extended daylight.  You may have time to do an abbreviated Golden Circle tour the next day, depending on departure times.  You could also do the Blue Lagoon, or new Sky Lagoon.

Thank you so much!!!  We are in Reykjavic 2p on one day to 3p the next day. Maybe Northern lights too? will be there Sept 15 & 16.

Thank you so much, both of you. You have confirmed I made the right choice to switch. 

• Like 1