Stairs in Rome Termini station, and Ravenna station

kimlovesfl

We are sailing from Ravenna in October, but spending 2 nights in Rome before, and 1 night after, our cruise, and taking the train between the 2 cities. Are there stairs from street level to the tracks at either station, and if there are, are elevators available as well? My husband has RA and sometimes has minor issues with mobility. This will determine whether we pack very light and get laundry done onboard the ship, or bring larger suitcases for our 11 day trip. 

49 minutes ago, kimlovesfl said:

We are sailing from Ravenna in October, but spending 2 nights in Rome before, and 1 night after, our cruise, and taking the train between the 2 cities. Are there stairs from street level to the tracks at either station, and if there are, are elevators available as well? My husband has RA and sometimes has minor issues with mobility. This will determine whether we pack very light and get laundry done onboard the ship, or bring larger suitcases for our 11 day trip. 

Happily there are no stairs in the main area of Termini station (although it's large, it's all on one level) or at the station in Ravenna. 

HOWEVER:

There are no direct trains from Rome to Ravenna, so you will have to change trains somewhere. When I went (in 2019), I changed trains in Bologna Centrale station, and the two trains were on two different levels of the station, which is large. I know there were escalators and pretty sure there were lifts (although I did not look for them as I was only on an overnight trip). My point is that you should be sure to leave yourself a good cushion of time between your train connections so that you aren't rushing and have time to seek out the elevator and not have to hurry to board your onward train. Trenitalia tends to offer somewhat tight connections when booking online, as they assume you (like most travelers) are traveling light.

Edited by cruisemom42

Be prepared not to be able to use the elevator at some Trenitalia stations.   We found them to be spotty.  Not a big issue for us but it clearly was for those with physical challenges or heavy bags.

• 2 weeks later...