Best Way to get from Cape Liberty to Manhattan

Macy Mae

44 minutes ago, Macy Mae said:

We are 4 adults who will be staying in Manhattan following our 5 day cruise to Bermuda in July.  What's the best and fastest way to get to Manhattan from the Cape Liberty cruise port?  

Uber/Lyft or a car service such as Carmel Limo or Dial 7.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/10/2022 at 8:16 PM, njhorseman said:

Uber/Lyft or a car service such as Carmel Limo or Dial 7.

Hi, I asked for help in our roll call and it is very inactive.  We are flying into Laguardia on Saturday at 5:35 pm and our ship leaves on Sunday from Cape Liberty. We need suggestions on transportation and where to stay when we land. We go to NYC at least a couple times of the year. Our check-in time on Celebrity Summit is 12:00 noon. Any thoughts on hotels, transportation??????  

Thanks,

Kimberly

21 minutes ago, KimberandBigB said:

Hi, I asked for help in our roll call and it is very inactive.  We are flying into Laguardia on Saturday at 5:35 pm and our ship leaves on Sunday from Cape Liberty. We need suggestions on transportation and where to stay when we land. We go to NYC at least a couple times of the year. Our check-in time on Celebrity Summit is 12:00 noon. Any thoughts on hotels, transportation??????  

Thanks,

Kimberly

OK...given your arrival time presumably you're not expecting to do anything on Saturday other than having something for dinner . If that's the case I'd say it doesn't make a lot of sense to stay in Manhattan and pay Manhattan prices so I'd suggest getting a hotel in NJ for the night close to Cape Liberty. In particular I'd look at one of the five hotels that are located in a cluster on International Blvd. in Elizabeth, Courtyard by Marriott, Residence Inn by Marriott, Embassy Suites, Country Inn and Suites and Extended Stay America. They are adjacent to The Mills at Jersey Gardens outlet mall, and there's an IHOP and Ruby Tuesday for an informal dinner.

For transportation from LGA to NJ use a car service such as Carmel Limo or Dial 7, or Uber/Lyft. For transportation from the hotel to Cape Liberty use Uber/Lyft.

Edited by njhorseman

4 hours ago, KimberandBigB said:

We are flying into LaGuardia on Saturday at 5:35 pm and our ship leaves on Sunday from Cape Liberty. We need suggestions on transportation and where to stay when we land. We go to NYC at least a couple times of the year.

Traveling to NYC a few times each year, you likely have already seen what is most important to you, and you probably already know the types of areas that exist in and around NYC. I see the issue of where to stay as being one of three choices: near LaGuardia airport, near Cape Liberty in Bayonne, or someplace in-between. How ambitious will you be on Saturday after traveling? If not very, then there's a few hotels near the airport, mostly mid-priced, and unless you choose an airport hotel in Flushing, there won't be much choice for eating or doing much (it is just a place to sleep). With a good amount of ambition you could travel from LaGuardia to a hotel near Cape Liberty. But it might start getting late for dinner, so think about timing. As mentioned, there are hotels in Elizabeth: these are like the hotels near LaGuardia in not having substantial choice for eating or doing much (again, just a place to sleep). There are also hotels in Jersey City, near Exchange Place, and at least one hotel in neighboring Hoboken, where there are a number of places to eat, and the environment is quite a bit more conducive to walking around. For in-between, the obvious choice is Manhattan, where there is lots to eat, lots to do, and probably high cost (the cost could be mitigated to some extent by staying in Long Island City, near Queens Plaza). It is fair journey between LaGuardia Airport and Cape Liberty, so it really comes down to when you want to do the bulk of the travel (on the day of airplane arrival, on the day of vessel departure, or split between the two). I note that we reside in Flushing, near LaGuardia Airport, and we have been able to travel between Flushing and Cape Liberty on the morning of a cruise departure, using public transportation, without difficulty, though it does take a bit of time (using a car would be a bit quicker, but it remains a journey).

1 hour ago, GTJ said:

Traveling to NYC a few times each year, you likely have already seen what is most important to you, and you probably already know the types of areas that exist in and around NYC. I see the issue of where to stay as being one of three choices: near LaGuardia airport, near Cape Liberty in Bayonne, or someplace in-between. How ambitious will you be on Saturday after traveling? If not very, then there's a few hotels near the airport, mostly mid-priced, and unless you choose an airport hotel in Flushing, there won't be much choice for eating or doing much (it is just a place to sleep). With a good amount of ambition you could travel from LaGuardia to a hotel near Cape Liberty. But it might start getting late for dinner, so think about timing. As mentioned, there are hotels in Elizabeth: these are like the hotels near LaGuardia in not having substantial choice for eating or doing much (again, just a place to sleep). There are also hotels in Jersey City, near Exchange Place, and at least one hotel in neighboring Hoboken, where there are a number of places to eat, and the environment is quite a bit more conducive to walking around. For in-between, the obvious choice is Manhattan, where there is lots to eat, lots to do, and probably high cost (the cost could be mitigated to some extent by staying in Long Island City, near Queens Plaza). It is fair journey between LaGuardia Airport and Cape Liberty, so it really comes down to when you want to do the bulk of the travel (on the day of airplane arrival, on the day of vessel departure, or split between the two). I note that we reside in Flushing, near LaGuardia Airport, and we have been able to travel between Flushing and Cape Liberty on the morning of a cruise departure, using public transportation, without difficulty, though it does take a bit of time (using a car would be a bit quicker, but it remains a journey).

Thank you for taking your time to provide me with a detailed response. I think we have decided to get closer to Cape Liberty on Saturday by staying at Embassy Suites Newark. We like to be ready to go on embarkation day! Your logistics really helped with our decision!

This board is not very active; hopefully it will pick up. This is our first time visiting Bermuda!  We would love to hear of some fun locals places for lunch!

Thanks again,

Kimberly and Barry 

4 hours ago, KimberandBigB said:

I think we have decided to get closer to Cape Liberty on Saturday by staying at Embassy Suites Newark.

It should be a fine, plain vanilla, hotel for overnighting prior to the next day's cruise vessel departure. It is a very short walk to the Ruby Tuesday or IHOP for a similarly plan but satisfactory dinner. There is an AMC movie theatre across the street, but it may just be a plan to get a good night's sleep for all the activity the next day.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, GTJ said:

It should be a fine, plain vanilla, hotel for overnighting prior to the next day's cruise vessel departure. It is a very short walk to the Ruby Tuesday or IHOP for a similarly plan but satisfactory dinner. There is an AMC movie theatre across the street, but it may just be a plan to get a good night's sleep for all the activity the next day.

Thanks again for your help!

• 3 weeks later...

I hope that some of you can help me? there are 4 of us (3 adults and one child) flying in from the UK into JFK mid afternoon on 15th Oct to then go on Oasis of the Seas for 7 nights from Port Liberty NJ on the 16th. Now What is my best option for a hotel/travel?

1. Transport to NY and stay over then transport to the NJ port the next day?

2. Transport straight to NJ and stay local to port and taxi or uber?

3. Upon return get transport into NY and then of from there to JFK (early evening flight)?

4. any other options?

I am being told that it will cost a lot more as we will be crossing state lines so am looking at all options.

Hope some of you can help out.

Thanks in advance

Roy

6 hours ago, Roybthered said:

[F]lying in from the UK into JFK mid afternoon on 15th Oct to then go on Oasis of the Seas for 7 nights from Port Liberty NJ on the 16th.

Almost always a good plan to arrive the day before, giving time for things to go wrong!

Staying a night in New York and going straight to New Jersey are both practicable alternatives. It really depends on whether you want to see and enjoy a bit (albeit not very much) of New York City prior to embarking the vessel. The cost of staying the night in New York will likely be a bit more expensive compared to staying in New Jersey (though the cost could be mitigated by staying in Brooklyn or Long Island City instead of Manhattan). There's no single correct choice here, and it really depends on your preference and wherewithal to do anything after a long transatlantic journey.

For transport, you should consider if you're preference is using public transport or private transport. There is good public transport connecting JFK with Manhattan, Brooklyn, and Long Island City. There is reasonable public transport connecting JFK with some hotels in New Jersey (in particular those in Hoboken, near Exchange Place in Jersey City, and downtown Newark). Public transport to Cape Liberty itself is not available (at most, you can use public transport part way, from New York City to Bayonne, then taxi or TNC the rest of the way to Cape Liberty. Follow-up in this forum if specific public transport directions are needed.

There is good private transport--taxis, car services, and TNCs--connecting JFK with Manhattan, Brooklyn, and Long Island City. Were you to travel by private transport direct from JFK to New Jersey, it will be a bit more expensive--but whether you cross the state line the day before, or the day of, vessel departure, you're going to pay the cost of doing so, and in the end it will probably cost the same regardless of how you split the travel among the two days.

For the return, it sounds as if you will have plenty of time to make your way from Cape Liberty to JFK. Unless you're an aviation enthusiast and wanting to spend time at JFK watching airplanes, you will probably not want to go directly from Cape Liberty to JFK. So again, you'll be faced with transport from Cape Liberty to someplace in New York City, then from that place to JFK. And once again, the same transport options, of using either public transport or private transport.

It is really difficult to say what is "best" given that individual preference is really the driving factor. Public transport is most cost-efficient, but limiting. Private transport will take you anywhere on your schedule, but will be costly.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, GTJ said:

Almost always a good plan to arrive the day before, giving time for things to go wrong!

Staying a night in New York and going straight to New Jersey are both practicable alternatives. It really depends on whether you want to see and enjoy a bit (albeit not very much) of New York City prior to embarking the vessel. The cost of staying the night in New York will likely be a bit more expensive compared to staying in New Jersey (though the cost could be mitigated by staying in Brooklyn or Long Island City instead of Manhattan). There's no single correct choice here, and it really depends on your preference and wherewithal to do anything after a long transatlantic journey.

For transport, you should consider if you're preference is using public transport or private transport. There is good public transport connecting JFK with Manhattan, Brooklyn, and Long Island City. There is reasonable public transport connecting JFK with some hotels in New Jersey (in particular those in Hoboken, near Exchange Place in Jersey City, and downtown Newark). Public transport to Cape Liberty itself is not available (at most, you can use public transport part way, from New York City to Bayonne, then taxi or TNC the rest of the way to Cape Liberty. Follow-up in this forum if specific public transport directions are needed.

There is good private transport--taxis, car services, and TNCs--connecting JFK with Manhattan, Brooklyn, and Long Island City. Were you to travel by private transport direct from JFK to New Jersey, it will be a bit more expensive--but whether you cross the state line the day before, or the day of, vessel departure, you're going to pay the cost of doing so, and in the end it will probably cost the same regardless of how you split the travel among the two days.

For the return, it sounds as if you will have plenty of time to make your way from Cape Liberty to JFK. Unless you're an aviation enthusiast and wanting to spend time at JFK watching airplanes, you will probably not want to go directly from Cape Liberty to JFK. So again, you'll be faced with transport from Cape Liberty to someplace in New York City, then from that place to JFK. And once again, the same transport options, of using either public transport or private transport.

It is really difficult to say what is "best" given that individual preference is really the driving factor. Public transport is most cost-efficient, but limiting. Private transport will take you anywhere on your schedule, but will be costly.

Many thanks GTJ, we have time to plan and get it right. The DW is leaning more towards NY stay and then travelling over on the next day (Sunday) to board the ship as it will give our Daughter and Granddaughter a bit of NY time. On the return hopefully planning to go back to the same hotel (after speaking to them) to leave our luggage until we leave to go to JFK. A bit of sorting to do but it will am sure be part of a great holiday. Do you know of any transportation companies I could look at to start us off.

Thanks

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Roybthered said:

Do you know of any transportation companies I could look at to start us off.

Thanks

Carmel Limo and Dial 7 car service are the 2 most recommended on this board. I used Carmel once, all went well.

If you stay overnight in Manhattan the taxi rate from JFK to Manhattan should be a fixed rate. Use car service to Bayonne the next day. 

Disembarking, you could take a taxi (located at zone 10 across the street from the elevator entrance of the parking garage at Cape Liberty) to Journal Square PATH station in Jersey City, then PATH train to NYC. It would be easier using a car service than public transit.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Roybthered said:

Do you know of any transportation companies I could look at to start us off.

I would be favorably inclined with that type of plan because I very much enjoy the city in which I reside! Some people can have a lot of energy after having been sedentary on a long flight--and seeing a city can be exciting--while others can find it exhausting and not wanting to do anything. BTW, good strategy in arranging for temporary luggage handling while in the city for the day on the return . . . best to get the hotel manager's name when making arrangements so as to avoid any difficulties later on.

By area of expertise is with public transport, and industry in which I work and use regularly. But with four people traveling, the price advantage with public transport is limited, because its charges are per person, while private transport is per vehicle. I don't know private transport as well. I will note that regular taxis (all of which are easily recognizable by being painted yellow or lime green in New York City) have a flat fare from JFK to Manhattan that is $52, plus some nuisance charges. Getting a regular taxi at JFK is the most flexible option, without having to find a particularly-reserved vehicle, etc., and the fare is competitive. But you can reserve with a particular company, and for that I will defer to others here. From Manhattan to Cape Liberty regular taxis are not obligated to provide service, the fare would be negotiated beforehand, and it might be a better deal using a TNC (either Uber or Lyft). There might be a fair savings by traveling on a PATH train from New York to New Jersey ($2.75 per person), then getting a TNC only within New Jersey. Again, others here can advise better. At the end of the cruise, the reverse of all the above would be applicable.

• Like 1

Thank you both for your words of wisdom, we will make a plan and hopefully see it come off. Really looking forward to visiting NY again and taking our daughter and Granddaughter for the first time to both NY and a cruise.

• Like 1