Cruise Care and air

If i took insurance through Royal and my independently booked air is cancelled and i miss the cruise, is my cruise fare reimbursed?  I usually use third party insurance, but this  is just a 3 night cruise and given age is not considered with Royal's insurance, its more reasonably priced. 

1 hour ago, jerseygirl3 said:

If i took insurance through Royal and my independently booked air is cancelled and i miss the cruise, is my cruise fare reimbursed?  I usually use third party insurance, but this  is just a 3 night cruise and given age is not considered with Royal's insurance, its more reasonably priced. 

Here are the covered reasons for cancelling for a full refund.  If its not a covered reason you can cancel anytime up until departure and receive a 75% FCC (may have been upped to 90%)

1. sickness, injury, or death of yourself, a traveling companion or members of either of your immediate families, which is diagnosed and treated by a physician at the time your cruise vacation is terminated;

2. involvement in a traffic accident, en route to departure, that causes you to miss your cruise;

3. your home is made uninhabitable by a natural disaster such as fire, flood, earthquake, hurricane or volcano;

4. you are called into active duty by the military to provide aid or relief as a result of a natural disaster;

5. subpoena or being called to serve for jury duty.

Edited by Ourusualbeach

16 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Here are the covered reasons for cancelling for a full refund.  If its not a covered reason you can cancel anytime up until departure and receive a 75% FCC (may have been upped to 90%)

1. sickness, injury, or death of yourself, a traveling companion or members of either of your immediate families, which is diagnosed and treated by a physician at the time your cruise vacation is terminated;

2. involvement in a traffic accident, en route to departure, that causes you to miss your cruise;

3. your home is made uninhabitable by a natural disaster such as fire, flood, earthquake, hurricane or volcano;

4. you are called into active duty by the military to provide aid or relief as a result of a natural disaster;

5. subpoena or being called to serve for jury duty.

Thank you.  That pretty much answers my question.  I think I'll stick with third party insurance because if we miss the cruise due to a cancelled flight, I will be reimbursed fully as it would be considered trip delay.  

8 minutes ago, jerseygirl3 said:

Thank you.  That pretty much answers my question.  I think I'll stick with third party insurance because if we miss the cruise due to a cancelled flight, I will be reimbursed fully as it would be considered trip delay.  

I think you need to review your policy.

Most, if not all, policies that I'm aware of only pay out based on a % of the trip cost when it comes to "Trip Delay" and that expense is capped.

Besides that, if the flight is cancelled, airlines will give you a credit towards a future flight to be used within 1 year and insurance companies consider this as a full reimbursement and will not pay out. Some insurance companies "may" allow you to refile after the year is over and you didn't use the travel credit, but count on some major paperwork on your part.

46 minutes ago, klfrodo said:

I think you need to review your policy.

Most, if not all, policies that I'm aware of only pay out based on a % of the trip cost when it comes to "Trip Delay" and that expense is capped.

Besides that, if the flight is cancelled, airlines will give you a credit towards a future flight to be used within 1 year and insurance companies consider this as a full reimbursement and will not pay out. Some insurance companies "may" allow you to refile after the year is over and you didn't use the travel credit, but count on some major paperwork on your part.

Thank you for your input.  I checked my policy, and it will pay out more than enough to cover our expenses if we missed the cruise.  It's only a 3 night cruise. However, I called the insurance company, and what may not be covered is reimbursement of the cruise fare itself.  

We booked the 3 night cruise thinking that, given the price of hotels and meals, it was less to do the 3 night cruise prior to a 10 night cruise.  We normally go in at least 2 days prior to a cruise in the winter, but as I said, the cruise was more cost efficient that spending money on hotels and meals.  So we figured we'd fly in the morning of, take the 3 night cruise, and the day that cruise ends,we'd board the other ship for the 10 night.  

There are so many caveats to this particular situation, I think we're probably just better off going in 2 days prior and forget about doing the 3 night cruise.  The deposit is refundable, so no loss.  And I can amend the insurance policy to cover our hotel, air, and the 10 day cruise.