Which route if POS for Covid pre cruise?

Ellusionz

Just being having last week worries if something happens as my party is coming from all over to cruise. If someone pops up POS before we meet up, we aren't close contacts as no one is in town together yet, what is the best route so the others can still enjoy their vacation? We all have separate insurances.

Cancel that person and  get FCC or refund (whatever they offer?) and claim any insurance coverage for extra loss?

No show and claim insurance on everything? I've never used travel insurance so don't know how that works?

Thanks for any advice. Just getting last minute jitters of something happening!

Insurance will reimburse you 100% of the cruise fare and any other prepaid nonrefundable costs if you cancel for a covered reason. Covid is considered a medical reason so get a confirmation of the diagnosis and file a claim. To me cash is always preferable to any FCC offered by the cruise line.

Notify the cruise line of the cancellation as well as the insurance company. The insurance company will open a file for you as you start the process of submitting the appropriate documentation.

23 minutes ago, Babr said:

Insurance will reimburse you 100% of the cruise fare and any other prepaid nonrefundable costs if you cancel for a covered reason. Covid is considered a medical reason so get a confirmation of the diagnosis and file a claim. To me cash is always preferable to any FCC offered by the cruise line.

Notify the cruise line of the cancellation as well as the insurance company. The insurance company will open a file for you as you start the process of submitting the appropriate documentation.

Will the rest of the party still be able to cruise since we are not 'close contacts' as stated in the policy? We haven't had large group together since before covid time and I want to make sure if someone ends up getting left behind they are taken care of money wise but everyone else can still enjoy their vacay.

I think “ traveling party” is defined as members of family sharing same household or people traveling in the same cabin.  I’m not sure of your arrangements, but others should be able to board.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Babr said:

I think “ traveling party” is defined as members of family sharing same household or people traveling in the same cabin.  I’m not sure of your arrangements, but others should be able to board.

Each insurer may be different, but we've gotten insurance for everyone traveling "together" when we all made the reservations together.  We are not all related and do not live at the same address.

So it's worth checking with the insurer about how they handle this situation.

GC

29 minutes ago, GeezerCouple said:

Each insurer may be different, but we've gotten insurance for everyone traveling "together" when we all made the reservations together.  We are not all related and do not live at the same address.

So it's worth checking with the insurer about how they handle this situation.

GC

OP said they had separate insurance. I was thinking of the cruise line’s definition of how they determine what constitutes a traveling party for the purpose of boarding if one tests positive.

I’m sure it would be different if they were insured together for the purpose of a claim. Thanks for making the distinction.

5 minutes ago, Babr said:

OP said they had separate insurance. I was thinking of the cruise line’s definition of how they determine what constitutes a traveling party for the purpose of boarding if one tests positive.

I’m sure it would be different if they were insured together for the purpose of a claim. Thanks for making the distinction.

We were not "insured together".

Because we weren't  part of the same family and/or (?) we did not live in the same household, we could not be on the same policy.

What we did was purchase the insurance for everyone, but separate policies for each of two "real family units" and the cruise reservations were linked.

We didn't have any relevant claims on those particular trips, so I can't say definitively that it "worked".   But that was part of the discussion (on recorded lines) when we were making arrangements and making decisions about the insurance.

GC

• Like 1

Yea we're all friends that live separately. Supposed to be our finally get all together after cancelled cruises... Hopefully I'm just over worrying myself, but things have been going super well recently. And there's always something at some point that screws that up lol

So Carnival just sent an email out with this info:

• Any guest who tests positive at embarkation, and their traveling companions in the same stateroom along with other close contacts, will not be able to cruise and will be provided a future cruise credit. (A close contact is any individual who has been within 6 feet of an infected/symptomatic person for a cumulative total of 15 minutes or more over a 24-hour period within 14 days prior to sailing.)  

It sounds like anyone in the cabin even if they aren't close contacts would be barred from cruising even if they hadn't met before getting to the port?

Totally sucks if so.

20 minutes ago, Ellusionz said:

So Carnival just sent an email out with this info:

• Any guest who tests positive at embarkation, and their traveling companions in the same stateroom along with other close contacts, will not be able to cruise and will be provided a future cruise credit. (A close contact is any individual who has been within 6 feet of an infected/symptomatic person for a cumulative total of 15 minutes or more over a 24-hour period within 14 days prior to sailing.)  

It sounds like anyone in the cabin even if they aren't close contacts would be barred from cruising even if they hadn't met before getting to the port?

Totally sucks if so.

That is what I thought. See post #4. 

I suppose it depends on when the person tests positive. Is Carnival testing at the pier or must you present results of a test taken earlier? If people sharing a cabin have different addresses and one cancels prior to arrival, it may still be possible to board.

If the rest of you are not in close contact, you may be OK but it is something that will have to be addressed in real time if it happens. It depends on your travel plans and at what point you plan to join up.

18 minutes ago, Babr said:

That is what I thought. See post #4. 

I suppose it depends on when the person tests positive. Is Carnival testing at the pier or must you present results of a test taken earlier? If people sharing a cabin have different addresses and one cancels prior to arrival, it may still be possible to board.

If the rest of you are not in close contact, you may be OK but it is something that will have to be addressed in real time if it happens. It depends on your travel plans and at what point you plan to join up.

We are all testing the 2-3 days prior to arriving to port that they tell us to, most of us are doing the home test that's proctored and one is doing testing at their school.

If one tests positive, he should cancel before leaving home. The one sharing the cabin should be able to board since the two do not live together and have not been in contact.

I can’t guarantee that is the way it will work, but it seems reasonable. The email you got is the standard answer and does not consider a situation such as your group.