To Mask or not to Mask that is the question ?

23 minutes ago, whitecap said:

I certainly was not saying that you were criticizing anyone, only that "no one should criticize anyone for their personal decision to mask or not mask".  Personal choice.  We'll do what makes us comfortable an you others should do the same.  🙂  

Agree.  

It’s weird.  Now people make a comment about seeing others in a mask and they are deemed to be criticizing them.  I don’t think anyone cares if others wear a mask. I certainly don’t.  But I did take notice of masking and how people wore them because it was my first cruise back and I was curious.   

I feel bad for anyone that has to wear a mask because no matter what some folks say or think, they are at least slightly uncomfortable for most people and something some folks are conditioned to deal with.  I personally don’t know anyone who likes wearing a mask and I know many that absolutely hate it because it is so uncomfortable or causes skin issues on their face.  5-10 minutes here and there, no problem.  All day or night, no thanks.  Regardless, people can choose what they prefer which is great.  

• Like 1

Took 17 cruises since August 2021 with associated flights with the mask as a requirement and never got Covid.  Took the TA on the Wonder and flights back without a mask requirement but I still wore a mask at all times.  Was in the minority for sure.  Tested Negative coming out of Spain but tested Positive the 2nd day back.  I can easily say that without the mask requirement and with the amount of people sneezing and coughing on the ship and flights my Covid came because people were not wearing mask.  A person may not like wearing a mask and I get that but mask do make a difference.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Vaxed 4 times. I have never had Covid from what I know. We cruise on the 28th and am scared to death I'm going to somehow get it right before we leave.  Getting tested the 26th in the a.m. then flight to Miami that afternoon.  I'm seriously considering wearing a mask to work for the next 8 business days. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, chmusar said:

Going on Anthem next week departing from Southampton and for some reason I feel more nervous than when I flew all the way to Barbados for a 2 week cruise.

As masks are now only personal preference and all the cases that seem to be on other ships , I think I will keep wearing one while on board in busy areas , I know its down to personal preference but have all you latest cruisers being wearing masks??

We just got off Silhouette,  another UK based ship. I guess 5 to 10% were wearing masks, including us in crowded areas. Pax were partying like it was 2019 😁

We definitely changed our behaviour a bit, took the stairs most of the time, enjoyed the quite lounge over looking the sea sipping a drink, rather than bopping away in the crowded dance party . We still enjoyed the shows and MDR. Just took a few precautions. 

I also think it depends how long your cruise is.  Less than 7 days you probably won't show symptoms until you get home. Longer cruises you may get the dreaded quarantine on board.

When we fly to Europe next month we'll definitely wear a mask. Don't want to risk catching anything at the Airport or on the flight. In fact pre covid it was normal to see our Asian customers, at the major airport I worked at, wearing a mask out of respect for fellow passengers 

Enjoy your cruise whatever you decide. She's a lovely ship

Edited by sgmn

We are fully vaccinated and boosted.  We recovered from Covid last month.  I still wear masks sometimes when I feel it is a good idea.  I admit it might be more out of habit than anything else.  The other day I wore one to the DMV office.  In addition to the staff about 10% were wearing masks I would say.  

Going forward I hope we have a cultural shift in America where people will wear masks in public when they have a cold or the flu.  

• Like 2

I'm playing it by ear, but generally I feel more comfortable wearing a mask in some situations.  The airport strikes me as too risky to not wear a mask.  Frankly I think even if Covid was gone I am going to mask up in some situations.

• Like 4

I returned home from a Royal Caribbean cruise friday. Ports of call were Bermuda and Bahamas. I  was travelling with two friends who had slight cough problem on last day. Because of this we self-isolated the last day and used medical grade n95 masks when disembarking and drove straight home. Within minutes of arriving at our homes we all tested - both my friends are positive.  We all are vaxed and boosted X2. Two days in a row I am so far negative.

While staff wore masks, onboard very few people wore them. In ports, entering the ports masks were required, but once in town masks were rarely worn.

We all have conscious decisions to make every day with regards to our health. Personally I am very cautious with mask wearing behaviors. I have both age and medical risk factors but I see no reason to cancel cruising or postponing life. I see every reason to assume personal responsibility.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

While it is obviously a personal choice, I do plan to mask in crowded areas on our next cruise which is in Italy and Greece.  I also intend to mask for the flights to and from our cruise as I do not want anything to disrupt our trip.  I already am required to mask at work but I will be masking everywhere for the last 2 weeks prior to our trip as I do not want to catch it before we go.  Certainly the need to test negative prior to our return home is a factor as well in my plans.  

I am currently not masking some of the time in public settings as we are far enough out from our trip that getting Covid now would most likely just mean that I would be off work for 5 days and miserable for a bit but  qualify for the certificate of recovery for  our trip.  Definitely not trying to catch it but at this point it would not be too likely to jeopardize our trip.

2 hours ago, Colorado Buffalo said:

Vaxed 4 times. I have never had Covid from what I know. We cruise on the 28th and am scared to death I'm going to somehow get it right before we leave.  Getting tested the 26th in the a.m. then flight to Miami that afternoon.  I'm seriously considering wearing a mask to work for the next 8 business days. 

This is exactly how I felt for my Princess Cruise last month. I wore my mask everywhere the 9 days before the cruise but once on board, did not except where required for getting on/off the ship in the terminals.

As others have said, one must do what they feel best for them.

We got off Harmony last Sunday. Our party of 4 was one of the only wearing masks on the cruise. We definitely got some looks and had 1 or 2 comments made about it. It really didn't detract from our vacation and it definitely helped me feel better. There were many reports of Covid positive tests immediately after disembarking. Also, reports of cold symptoms in people that tested negative.  Everyone in our party felt fine and has continued to test negative.  While I know that mask wearing onboard isn't for everyone, I am very happy that my family made the choice to do so.

Edited by Woodmnky
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Woodmnky said:

We got off Harmony last Sunday. Our party of 4 was one of the only wearing masks on the cruise. We definitely got some looks and had 1 or 2 comments made about it. It really didn't detract from our vacation and it definitely helped me feel better. There were many reports of Covid positive tests immediately after disembarking. Also, reports of cold symptoms in people that tested negative.  Everyone in our party felt fine and has continued to test negative.  While I know that mask wearing onboard isn't for everyone, I am very happy that my family made the choice to do so.

I wonder if the comments were because cruise lines require masks for passengers who test negative but have been exposed to COVID?  In that respect, they are sort of "branding" certain passengers.  

5 hours ago, CILCIANRQTS said:

A thousand responses, a thousand positions.

Not sure how that will help you decide on your personal situation.

I have already decided what I am doing was just curious what other peoples thoughts where

• Like 1