Just Off Navigator - 05/13/22-05/16/22

I don’t post too often, but I have obtained lots of useful information from Cruise Critic since the restart so I thought I would post a short synopsis and answer any questions about the Navigator.

We were a group of 5 who travelled from Phoenix to sail the 3 day Navigator cruise,  My husband and I sailed her in December 2021 but it was the others first time on board. 

We flew over the afternoon before and stayed at the Hyatt Regency Long Beach.  We find this to be a great pre-cruise for sailing from along Beach or San Pedro.  We left the hotel about 10:15 and arrived at the port around 10:30.  We were asked by an attendant our check-in time which was 11:00-11:30.  We were directed to the appropriate line and once we entered the line we did not stop moving until we were on the ship which was about 10:45.  

We ate in the MDR, Playmakers and the Windjammer.  We generally thought the food was great throughout the ship.  This was our first time being Diamond on Royal we found that we did not miss the drink package.

We did not see any shows, but they did not seem to be full shows but rather showcase of the casts.  In December there was Showgirls and ISkate, but this time they were advertised as see showcases by our casts.  

We did the La Bufadora tour in Ensenada.  It was a good time seeing the blowhole and doing a little shopping.  

Debarkation was very smooth.  We enjoyed a leisurely breakfast in the MDR and by the time we were finished at 8:30 our tag number has been called even though it was not estimated until 9:30.

One final note - The pool heater still appears to be broken.  There were few people in the pool and the hot tubs were packed with children.  We had beautiful weather, but not enough to make the pools swimmable.

I am happy to answer any questions you may have about the Navigator.  

11 hours ago, ema773 said:

I don’t post too often, but I have obtained lots of useful information from Cruise Critic since the restart so I thought I would post a short synopsis and answer any questions about the Navigator.

We were a group of 5 who travelled from Phoenix to sail the 3 day Navigator cruise,  My husband and I sailed her in December 2021 but it was the others first time on board. 

We flew over the afternoon before and stayed at the Hyatt Regency Long Beach.  We find this to be a great pre-cruise for sailing from along Beach or San Pedro.  We left the hotel about 10:15 and arrived at the port around 10:30.  We were asked by an attendant our check-in time which was 11:00-11:30.  We were directed to the appropriate line and once we entered the line we did not stop moving until we were on the ship which was about 10:45.  

We ate in the MDR, Playmakers and the Windjammer.  We generally thought the food was great throughout the ship.  This was our first time being Diamond on Royal we found that we did not miss the drink package.

We did not see any shows, but they did not seem to be full shows but rather showcase of the casts.  In December there was Showgirls and ISkate, but this time they were advertised as see showcases by our casts.  

We did the La Bufadora tour in Ensenada.  It was a good time seeing the blowhole and doing a little shopping.  

Debarkation was very smooth.  We enjoyed a leisurely breakfast in the MDR and by the time we were finished at 8:30 our tag number has been called even though it was not estimated until 9:30.

One final note - The pool heater still appears to be broken.  There were few people in the pool and the hot tubs were packed with children.  We had beautiful weather, but not enough to make the pools swimmable.

How was the adult only pool, was it also cold and was there any expectation of when the heaters will be repaired. We’re the water slides open.  Thank you for ant response.

My husband and I are doing this cruise at the beginning of July...I just checked us in today!!  I'm also curious about the adults only pool area...was it pretty crowded?  I think most schools are still in session (we are also in Phoenix, and I know a lot of kids are done this week, and mine are done next), so that may change when we're on the ship since there might be more people in general.  I'm glad to know approximate travel times to the port, too.  We got an Airbnb for the night before, and it's near the Hyatt.  If you flew out of LAX, how was it getting back to the airport?  Our flight is at 11, but we want to take advantage of the Delta lounge beforehand. 🙂

39 minutes ago, britty1 said:

How was the adult only pool, was it also cold and was there any expectation of when the heaters will be repaired. We’re the water slides open.  Thank you for ant response.

There were several adults in the adult pool including my husband and FIL, but they were still very cold.  We did not hear when the heaters will be repaired.

The water slides were open all 3 days,  My husband used them Friday shortly after boarding with no lines,  When we walked back there Saturday the lines were halfway down the tower.

21 minutes ago, claireruth said:

My husband and I are doing this cruise at the beginning of July...I just checked us in today!!  I'm also curious about the adults only pool area...was it pretty crowded?  I think most schools are still in session (we are also in Phoenix, and I know a lot of kids are done this week, and mine are done next), so that may change when we're on the ship since there might be more people in general.  I'm glad to know approximate travel times to the port, too.  We got an Airbnb for the night before, and it's near the Hyatt.  If you flew out of LAX, how was it getting back to the airport?  Our flight is at 11, but we want to take advantage of the Delta lounge beforehand. 🙂

The adult only pool area was busy, but there always seemed to be seats available.  

We were told by our head waiter that there were 2,500 on our 3 days sailing, but only 1,300 on the 4 night preceding ours.  

We flew in and out of Long Beach so I’m not much help with LAX.

7 hours ago, britty1 said:

I recall another thread  where they had a meet and greet with the officers and it was said they hope to have the pool heaters fixed by the end of this month May 2022. I see previous post saying water slides were open all 3 days.

• 3 weeks later...

I got off the ship today. There were about 1800 passengers aboard. Pools  were freezing cold, slides not as bad. Short lines for the slides. Adult area was very crowded. Dining rooms somewhat empty during our 7pm reservations. iSkate  show was decent, Showgirls not. Live music venues were entertaining. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/16/2022 at 7:42 PM, ema773 said:

Hoping you can help. I always get a “birthday hat” for my grandchildren. Do they sell anything like a “I survived the ___” hat for a teenager?

On 5/17/2022 at 8:37 AM, claireruth said:

If you flew out of LAX, how was it getting back to the airport?  Our flight is at 11, but we want to take advantage of the Delta lounge beforehand. 🙂

LA traffic varies wildly, of course, but you should expect roughly 35-40 minutes getting to LAX from port.  BUT, I also advise erring on the side of caution, which, if all goes well, should give you time to spend in the Delta lounge.  And if traffic IS snarled, you should at least get on your flight with no issues.

On 6/23/2022 at 11:30 AM, Manydazeatsea said:

Hoping you can help. I always get a “birthday hat” for my grandchildren. Do they sell anything like a “I survived the ___” hat for a teenager?

I have not seen anything like that on Navigator (or any ship). Maybe have it made ahead of time and pack it?

2 hours ago, Cruzingal#9 said:

Was there a formal night?  We’re doing a 3 and 4 day B2B in two weeks and was wondering if there were any formal nights on the short cruises.

On the 3 night cruise formal night was the 2nd night.

11 hours ago, ema773 said:

On the 3 night cruise formal night was the 2nd night.

Thank you.  I usually love dressing up for formal night, but I think for these short B2B’s I’m going the more casual formal route!

Thank you for sharing.  I usually cruise Princess so I am totally lost here and I am putting together a girls cruise.

Did you purchase a dining package or drink package?  If so, do you know the cost and what’s included?  

Im not used to having a Formal Night on a 3 day cruise.  If you are in a specialty restaurant on Formal Night do you have to dress up or only in the MDR?

Are you allowed to bring bottled water or sodas onboard?

Thank you!