Chairman’s invitational cruise

kcpvwill

2 hours ago, AnyWayIsGood said:

I am SO sorry to hear about this...knowing how much you were looking forward to the trip. I alluded to this whole PCR thing in my reply on the roll call thread. This is why I think Viking really needs to address and hopefully revise this practice. Torstein referred, somewhat jokingly, to "drawing the lucky number" (relative to positive test results) during his presentation and seemed to suggest an indefinite continuation of the PCR protocol.

Thank you for your compassion and sympathy. We hope that you enjoyed the Chairman's voyage and that you're now celebrating your daughter's graduation.

However...

Let it be known that Viking has extended to us extraordinary care and accomodations that ultimately made this voyage perhaps even more enjoyable than we'd anticipated.  *Hint: we are currently guests on the maiden/third/whatever-it's-called voyage, happily enjoying the full Viking onboard experience and exploring southern Spain for another couple of days. Valencia was magnificent!

Opinions about the Viking daily testing are all over the place and attempting to sway these opinions is pointless. Here's a summary of our opinions and our conclusions based on our actual experience. We're happy to answer questions but *not" to get into debate about the validity of our experience.

Daily PCR testing is "not* a meaningless exercise for those of us seeking to resume  travel while minimizing this particular risk, certainly to ourselves but also to others  Four vaccine doses, masking, distancing, following all recommended precautions did *not* prevent a healthy J from contracting Covid. Daily PCR testing *did* detect the presence of virus before symptoms emerged. Daily PCR testing *did* allow J to be isolated before virus could be passed along to beloved spouse D *or* to anyone else on the ship.  Guests who tested negative were free to choose either discontinuing or continuing mask use. Anecdotally, during J's five days in isolation, J would peek into the hall to count room service trays outside isolation rooms to estimate how many other guests were there; the number remained steady at about ten. It's impossible to say with absolute certainty that there would have been additional cases without early testing and isolation, but it's not unreasonable to think so.

Much as with the 2019 Viking Sky emergency, the experience we had was very different from the experience we'd anticipated. Yet both were more memorable - in all ways - than we could have imagined.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, AnyWayIsGood said:

I presume a negatively-testing partner is not allowed off the ship at any time?

Partner testing negative can roam the ship unmasked, dine in restaurants, drink in lounges, go to entertainments, participate in shore excursions or explore independently ashore - in short, to have the full *normal* cruise experience.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, JDincalif said:

Thank you for your compassion and sympathy. We hope that you enjoyed the Chairman's voyage and that you're now celebrating your daughter's graduation.

However...

Let it be known that Viking has extended to us extraordinary care and accomodations that ultimately made this voyage perhaps even more enjoyable than we'd anticipated.  *Hint: we are currently guests on the maiden/third/whatever-it's-called voyage, happily enjoying the full Viking onboard experience and exploring southern Spain for another couple of days. Valencia was magnificent!

Opinions about the Viking daily testing are all over the place and attempting to sway these opinions is pointless. Here's a summary of our opinions and our conclusions based on our actual experience. We're happy to answer questions but *not" to get into debate about the validity of our experience.

Daily PCR testing is "not* a meaningless exercise for those of us seeking to resume  travel while minimizing this particular risk, certainly to ourselves but also to others  Four vaccine doses, masking, distancing, following all recommended precautions did *not* prevent a healthy J from contracting Covid. Daily PCR testing *did* detect the presence of virus before symptoms emerged. Daily PCR testing *did* allow J to be isolated before virus could be passed along to beloved spouse D *or* to anyone else on the ship.  Guests who tested negative were free to choose either discontinuing or continuing mask use. Anecdotally, during J's five days in isolation, J would peek into the hall to count room service trays outside isolation rooms to estimate how many other guests were there; the number remained steady at about ten. It's impossible to say with absolute certainty that there would have been additional cases without early testing and isolation, but it's not unreasonable to think so.

Much as with the 2019 Viking Sky emergency, the experience we had was very different from the experience we'd anticipated. Yet both were more memorable - in all ways - than we could have imagined.

Thanks for the update JD, yet again demonstrates that Viking are a "class act"

We spent about an hour talking to Karine as we left Majorca, she was wandering outside with the dogs and stopped to chat, next minute she was seated and the wine was out.  Viking wanted the trip to be both a celebration and closure for everyone. They certainly hit the mark in our eyes

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, Haworth said:

We spent about an hour talking to Karine as we left Majorca, she was wandering outside with the dogs and stopped to chat

Spending time with the dogs! - J is green with envy. Karine was probably pretty nice, too, of course 🤭

3 minutes ago, JDincalif said:

Spending time with the dogs! - J is green with envy. Karine was probably pretty nice, too, of course 🤭

The dogs curled up and dozed and we just chatted about cruises past and present and the challenges of the last few years, The always excellent service went up several notches.

• Like 1

Thanks for inquiring about the Chairman’s cruise, what a delight it was.

We too started with the Umbrian Pre-extension. The Viking party was divided into two, we were in the Castello di Monterone in the countryside outside of Perugia the other half was in a hotel in the city of Perugia itself.

The Castello was truly beautiful with the most amazing views of the surrounding hill towns and villages and Perugia itself. The food was outstanding, we ate together on communal tables which allowed us to really get to know our fellow Sky travellers.

The two parties came together at a dinner at a farm/winery where two long tables were set up outside alongside each other, with a spit roasted sucking pig, all looked like a wedding dinner. We also ate our last lunch together  in Orvieto, split on two sides of an excellent restaurant.

Our arrival and embarkation at the Mars was quick and easy and we immediately went to our rooms where our luggage was waiting. The first daily spit tests were waiting for us. It would seem that travellers’ experience of these tests has been different. Due to medical conditions I’m unable to produce much saliva but found this unproblematic. I placed the tube in the bathroom each day and filled it to the very minimal level, 2 mls, as I popped along to make my first loo visit of the day. I then took my early morning meds immediately after. Easy peasy, job done! My husband who produces normal amounts of saliva, filled it to the minimal level with one spit each day. A small price to pay for the reassurance that the inevitable Covid cases could be managed safely for everyone. Everyone we spoke to about this found these measures enormously reassuring. And to the chap who constantly harks on about disgusting spit tests and masks being useless, I asked the Hagens and they do do a spit test each day, just like their passengers.

J of JDinCalifornia, one of our original Sky CC posters, sadly become Covid positive a few days into the cruise. She had organised a Viking CC get together for us but couldn’t attend, though her lovely husband D did. Viking treated them so kindly and have even kept them both on the ship free of charge til she tests negative and will be allowed to return to the US. Outstanding support and generosity.

The ship was utterly beautiful, new and immaculate. There were a number of the original Sky staff that we recognised and chatted with but the entire Viking team were hugely friendly and just a pleasure to interact with. They couldn’t have done more for us.

The itinerary was interesting though I personally wouldn’t recommend Palermo for a short cruise stop. It’s a wildly busy raw seaport island capital and was far too frenetic for a quick tour but the rest of the ports were a delight. Barcelona is one of my favourite cities but we were whisked away to the airport before we could once again sample all it has to offer! We’d organise to tag on our own time spent there next time, the frustration watching it pass by us on the coach to the airport was galling! I can feel another little trip coming on!

We hadn’t realised that all drinks onboard were free. We’re not big drinkers so it wasn’t the subject of the hour. But our stateroom number was taken a few times but never charged to us. Others said the same.

It was a pretty intimate cruise, folk greeted each other like long lost friends. ‘Oh you’re the lovely lady who helped undress and dry me when I was brought into the theatre muster station.’ ‘Oh you gave me some Rennies when I was struggling in the Theatre.’ ‘I remember your reassurance when I thought the anchor noise was the ship hitting the rocks.’ We met the Americans that we spent the entire 23 hours in the theatre with and hugged like old friends. What a delight! It was unusual to see folk sitting alone, everyone was chatting and so relaxed with each other.

Yes of course there was a snagging list, a little chipped paint here and there, little leaks on the upper deck. Goodness me it would be miraculous if there weren’t, it was a new ship! We had a super sensitive wardrobe light that acted as disco lights all night long. After three nights of Boogie Nights I popped down to the Explorers desk and the staff couldn’t have done more for us. Carpenters, electricians and other uniformed technical chappies arrived. It was a faulty sensor which they couldn’t replace so they offered to move us to another room and they couldn’t have helped more. I suggested that they just disable the light. Snagging list things, no big deal, this was a marvellous generous gift to us all.

Viking is a class act, they couldn’t have done more from us and they did it all so very beautifully. As far as this wretched daily testing taking over almost every thread, their company, their decisions and it was enormously reassuring that we could sit unmasked in crowded rooms feeling more secure.

Thank you Viking.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3

22 minutes ago, DGHOC said:

Thanks for inquiring about the Chairman’s cruise, what a delight it was.

We too started with the Umbrian Pre-extension. The Viking party was divided into two, we were in the Castello di Monterone in the countryside outside of Perugia the other half was in a hotel in the city of Perugia itself.

The Castello was truly beautiful with the most amazing views of the surrounding hill towns and villages and Perugia itself. The food was outstanding, we ate together on communal tables which allowed us to really get to know our fellow Sky travellers.

The two parties came together at a dinner at a farm/winery where two long tables were set up outside alongside each other, with a spit roasted sucking pig, all looked like a wedding dinner. We also ate our last lunch together  in Orvieto, split on two sides of an excellent restaurant.

Our arrival and embarkation at the Mars was quick and easy and we immediately went to our rooms where our luggage was waiting. The first daily spit tests were waiting for us. It would seem that travellers’ experience of these tests has been different. Due to medical conditions I’m unable to produce much saliva but found this unproblematic. I placed the tube in the bathroom each day and filled it to the very minimal level, 2 mls, as I popped along to make my first loo visit of the day. I then took my early morning meds immediately after. Easy peasy, job done! My husband who produces normal amounts of saliva, filled it to the minimal level with one spit each day. A small price to pay for the reassurance that the inevitable Covid cases could be managed safely for everyone. Everyone we spoke to about this found these measures enormously reassuring. And to the chap who constantly harks on about disgusting spit tests and masks being useless, I asked the Hagens and they do do a spit test each day, just like their passengers.

J of JDinCalifornia, one of our original Sky CC posters, sadly become Covid positive a few days into the cruise. She had organised a Viking CC get together for us but couldn’t attend, though her lovely husband D did. Viking treated them so kindly and have even kept them both on the ship free of charge til she tests negative and will be allowed to return to the US. Outstanding support and generosity.

The ship was utterly beautiful, new and immaculate. There were a number of the original Sky staff that we recognised and chatted with but the entire Viking team were hugely friendly and just a pleasure to interact with. They couldn’t have done more for us.

The itinerary was interesting though I personally wouldn’t recommend Palermo for a short cruise stop. It’s a wildly busy raw seaport island capital and was far too frenetic for a quick tour but the rest of the ports were a delight. Barcelona is one of my favourite cities but we were whisked away to the airport before we could once again sample all it has to offer! We’d organise to tag on our own time spent there next time, the frustration watching it pass by us on the coach to the airport was galling! I can feel another little trip coming on!

We hadn’t realised that all drinks onboard were free. We’re not big drinkers so it wasn’t the subject of the hour. But our stateroom number was taken a few times but never charged to us. Others said the same.

It was a pretty intimate cruise, folk greeted each other like long lost friends. ‘Oh you’re the lovely lady who helped undress and dry me when I was brought into the theatre muster station.’ ‘Oh you gave me some Rennies when I was struggling in the Theatre.’ ‘I remember your reassurance when I thought the anchor noise was the ship hitting the rocks.’ We met the Americans that we spent the entire 23 hours in the theatre with and hugged like old friends. What a delight! It was unusual to see folk sitting alone, everyone was chatting and so relaxed with each other.

Yes of course there was a snagging list, a little chipped paint here and there, little leaks on the upper deck. Goodness me it would be miraculous if there weren’t, it was a new ship! We had a super sensitive wardrobe light that acted as disco lights all night long. After three nights of Boogie Nights I popped down to the Explorers desk and the staff couldn’t have done more for us. Carpenters, electricians and other uniformed technical chappies arrived. It was a faulty sensor which they couldn’t replace so they offered to move us to another room and they couldn’t have helped more. I suggested that they just disable the light. Snagging list things, no big deal, this was a marvellous generous gift to us all.

Viking is a class act, they couldn’t have done more from us and they did it all so very beautifully. As far as this wretched daily testing taking over almost every thread, their company, their decisions and it was enormously reassuring that we could sit unmasked in crowded rooms feeling more secure.

Thank you Viking.

I totally agree with  your sentence about testing, I was very anti before our trip, but various comments from those on board and others since have convinced me that I was wrong and the testing works for the vast majority.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, JDincalif said:

We hope that you enjoyed the Chairman's voyage and that you're now celebrating your daughter's graduation.

We did indeed enjoy the cruise greatly, having never been anywhere in the 'Meddy' before. Our daughter's graduation was actually less than 2 weeks before the cruise, so it made for a rather hectic time to prepare for both - especially with having had the pre-extension yet. Summer won't be as relaxing as usual being that she will be preparing to pack and move to Irving, CA for a post-doc position. We'll be helping her out with both. The good news is that her (possibly temporary stay there) will afford some chances for additional CA sightseeing. 

17 hours ago, JDincalif said:

*Hint: we are currently guests on the maiden/third/whatever-it's-called voyage, happily enjoying the full Viking onboard experience and exploring southern Spain for another couple of days. Valencia was magnificent!

Wonderful!!!  That is truly above-and-beyond on the part of Viking. So glad that they are doing this for you. I would have enjoyed staying on as a B2B for the Trade Routes itinerary, but simply couldn't manage being away for another 2 weeks. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, DGHOC said:

We hadn’t realised that all drinks onboard were free.

Above and beyond that, we were all (I think anyway?) also given the "Silver Spirits Package" that allowed premium drinks. 

The two parties came together at a dinner at a farm/winery where two long tables were set up outside alongside each other,

Indeed a lovely event! 

in Orvieto, split on two sides of an excellent restaurant.

How about that 65 year-old balsamic?! Unfortunately I didn't eat much of anything at that lunch since what appeared to be the beginnings of a pretty substantial meniere's disease attack came on. No rhyme or reason as to when they occur - puts a bit of a damper on travel. 

The Viking party was divided into two, we were in the Castello di Monterone in the countryside outside of Perugia the other half was in a hotel in the city of Perugia itself.

This explains why the excursion never sold out. Back when we booked it, I was told there were llike 4 rooms left (at the Castle). Subsequent checkings on MVJ never showed it to be no longer available. It was a tad disappointing, inititally, when we arrived at the hotel in town, but - much like the Castle - the veiws from the hotel were also pretty amazing. 

It's really not rocket science J!

Hope you're feeling better. We've both developed Covid now. We feel sure it was the flight home. We were suitably masked though probably 10% on board were. There was a whole load of coughing going on too. Enclosed space, no masks, there's no chance of avoiding it. 

Are you back in the US now or are you still on the ship? How was your gifted cruise continuation?

D x

3 hours ago, DGHOC said:

We've both developed Covid now. We feel sure it was the flight home.

We are so sorry to hear that you and C have contracted this aggressive bug. We're keeping fingers crossed that your course will be mild and brief ♥️

3 hours ago, DGHOC said:

Are you back in the US now or are you still on the ship? How was your gifted cruise continuation?

Those five bonus days on the Mars were a delight, shared with each other at last. Malaga was lovely. Viking arranged for us to leave the ship today in Porto, even though they couldn't get us flights home today, but they arranged transportation to a hotel overnight, again at no charge to us. We'll fly home tomorrow morning.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, DGHOC said:

It's really not rocket science J!

Hope you're feeling better. We've both developed Covid now. We feel sure it was the flight home. We were suitably masked though probably 10% on board were. There was a whole load of coughing going on too. Enclosed space, no masks, there's no chance of avoiding it. 

D x

Sorry to read this, hope you are both feeling better soon

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, DGHOC said:

So very pleased for you both. What an absolute class act they are. 

They are and we have no plans currently to look at other cruise lines, clock ticking to January and our next one.

• Like 2

JDinCalif hope you are feeling better now.  My wife also tested positive on the ship but did not have to quarantine as she was in recovery mode.  She had Covid about 6 weeks before the trip, minor thank goodness.  She took a SARS test before we left and it still showed her spike protein was positive.  Our doctor told us this is normal for some people and that they will  show positive on a test for up to 3 months.  Fortunately we had the documentation, so Viking accepted it as being a false positive.  Interestingly when talking with Viking medical they said this has happened a number of times.  As for the way Viking handled everything, I cannot say enough good things.  I am planning to write a note to the Chairman thanking him for a great cruise, and remembering us after all the challenges over the last few years.   JohnEB

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, johneb2 said:

Our doctor told us this is normal for some people and that they will  show positive on a test for up to 3 months.  Fortunately we had the documentation, so Viking accepted it as being a false positive. 

My understanding is that it’s not a “false positive” because the tests are picking up COVID DNA that you still have in your system—that’s what PCR tests do. It doesn’t mean you are infectious. That’s the point of a doctor’s letter after recovery.

• Like 2

On 5/31/2022 at 2:04 AM, JDincalif said:

maiden/third/whatever-it's-called voyage

lol...sorry, but I will ALways think of our Chairman's cruise as the maiden voyage (probably cause that's what we were initially offered on the Venus). I guess technically it has to be a public sailing (?) 

On 6/4/2022 at 10:42 AM, johneb2 said:

I am planning to write a note to the Chairman thanking him for a great cruise, and remembering us after all the challenges over the last few years. 

Super idea, John. I must do the same. It truly was magnanimous of them to not forget us in the wake of all else that they had to deal with. I know in some posts I'm probably coming across a bit negatively relative to this PCR testing, but I want it said that DW and I absolutely love Viking's ocean product - everything about it - and would gladly sail on her repeatedly (IF the testing is curtailed or at least reduced and also if I didn't have to fly for just about everything they offer...guess I'm spoiled by living only 2+ hours from two cruise ports). 

On 6/2/2022 at 11:31 AM, Haworth said:

We've both developed Covid now

Very sorry to hear this! I know what you mean about the lack of masking on the plane and, from our experience - in the airports as well. As I said in another post, people are done with it (masking)...they've had it. 

5 hours ago, AnyWayIsGood said:

I know in some posts I'm probably coming across a bit negatively relative to this PCR testing, but I want it said that DW and I absolutely love Viking's ocean product - everything about it - and would gladly sail on her repeatedly (IF the testing is curtailed or at least reduced

Ditto. Well, maybe not the evening Abba shows. And the piped-in Muzak in certain locations. But except for those small issues, we loved our Viking cruise. I imagine we’ll love our upcoming one, too, if we don’t end up in chokey. 

11 hours ago, Twitchly said:

maybe not the evening Abba shows

LOL...didn't get to any of the musical acts on the Chairman's cruise. We were so tired by 9:00 (combination of 7-8 hours of shore excursions along with getting up by 5:30 to spit in a tube 😆) that we just didn't feel like going. On other cruises we've done, we'd eat by 5:00 and then catch a 7:00 show (later time was 9). That worked well for us. As to the "muzak", I must say that I really like what Viking uses and, as a musician, found myself tuning in on it quite frequently since most was rather new-agey and very mellow and subdued / relaxing. Much nicer while eating in the restuarant and world cafe than other ships where they're blaring more energetic pop-type stuff all the time. We did enjoy the onboard classical violin / cello duo as well as the resident pianist and guitarist. How Sofia manages to read those small notes on the scrolling iPad is way beyond the capabilities of my 66-year old eyes! Sure is more convenient than carrying around cases full of hard-copy music though.