Viking Grand European top deck usage

milling73

Asking those who are on, or have taken  the Grand European or portions of - due to low bridges, etc — is the top deck open much when sailing? Do they allow guests there when docked at port? Do they offer bar service?

We have taken several river cruises, but most in early spring when too chilly to be up top, or on the older boats, and  I can’t remember much about top deck availability. 

Thanks for assist.!

To my recollection, there wasn't much of a restriction for the deck. There are some places along the way that have multiple low bridges. Most of the travel is at night anyway. There were some times in transit when the deck was closed, but it was minimal.

There are two primary day sightseeing runs on that cruise - the Wachau Valley and the Rhine day, although the entire journey is quite beautiful. 

The only guests that I'm aware of are the invited regional performers. I don't recall if the bar was open in port, as we were usually off the boat then. 

Have a great trip!

On 5/20/2022 at 12:46 PM, milling73 said:

Asking those who are on, or have taken  the Grand European or portions of - due to low bridges, etc — is the top deck open much when sailing? Do they allow guests there when docked at port? Do they offer bar service?

GET is a great tour, we very much enjoyed it, and it's long enough to really relax.

The top deck is open always - except when passing under low bridges or through locks - I cannot remember these being an issue on GET. If top deck is temporarily closed you can still sit or stand in the open at the bow at the Aquavit Lounge. But you don't want to be outside going through  locks where they raise gates from river as there are many drops of water coming down.

(BTW, under really low bridges every thing on the top deck is collapsed, even the railings at the side. The shades are on folding supports and the bridge is on jacks which sink it to the deck level, and after the bridge is behind the boat everything is restored and the deck reopened.)

I have the vague memory that guests are not allowed on board, but I cannot find it stated on the website and it may be down to the ship. I have been on a Viking boat to see my friends where were on a cruise - but then I was on another Viking cruise that had moored at the same location.

The bar is staffed before lunch and dinner and after dinner. If you don't see a bartender at the bar at other times ask for your drink from one of the waiters in the lounge, or on the top deck.

We found the optional Mozart and Struss concert in Vienna to be a highlight. Our first time through Vienna I only went because Mrs P wanted to go and paid for us, but we've been to Vienna twice since and gone to the concert each time. It's held in a small oval room.

We’ve just been on this cruise. The top desk was closed for 5 days while going along the Main/Danube Canal.Otherwise open, in port, etc. Provided safe to do so ( may depend on water levels and bridges, of course). We didn’t sit there much as it wasn’t warm enough on our cruise so can’t answer if they will serve drinks up there.

When we were on the Rhine, the one time I do recall that the top deck was closed was when we passed through a lock just before dinner--the nerds among us were allowed to watch from the Aquavit terrace at the bow of the ship.