Crown Princess Alaska May 21st

Crow9

The crown grill is amazing. If you have not made a reservation there, do it.  The embarcation night I wore jeans and a dark shirt. Some people dressed fancy and some were casual.  

Just the complimentary cheesy herb bread is very addicting.  I got the black and blue onion soup and put the cheesy bread in it.  Love the blue cheese.  My filet mignon tasted like butter and the salt in the middle was very smokey and good.

PXL_20220522_011246443.jpg

PXL_20220522_012116981.MP.jpg

PXL_20220522_014747118.jpg

• Like 11
  • Thanks 3

So far we only had the change that was made the night before the cruise.  Icey straight point was cancelled and Juneau was moved back till 4pm.  No changes since then that I know of.

I went to the Excursions desk as soon as I got onboard, before I even went to my room, and rebooked new excursions for all that were cancelled.  There was no line when I went but it was packed the rest of the day and today too.  They give you a physical ticket that shows you where to meet and what time to meet at.

The only smell issue I had was with mid deck 10 near the elevators, aft carbine in the 700s where I'm at has had no issues and I had no issues in any other part of the ship so far.  So far I have had no plumbing issues or heard of any.

No other technical issues and the ship seems to be making good speed (just by watching the waves seems to be going fast).

I had dreams of Crown Grill's filet mignon last night and booked that again for the night before Victoria.

Breakfast in the Da Vinci dining room was average, omlettes and scrambles and bacon.

This ship is slightly less then half full, so there are plenty of quiet places to sit by the windows with a coffee or a drink and watch the waves.

Up on deck by the pools is empty since it is cold, except for a few people in the hot tubs.

PXL_20220522_175754366.jpg

PXL_20220522_175727538.jpg

• Like 2

Tip that I learned from youtube that I think is worth it to get.  Book the 7 day thermal suite.  It gives you access to the thermal suite with saunas and waterfall showers and heated stuff.  It also gives access to extra showers and saunas specific to the spa locker rooms.  I used that to shower last night instead of my cabin's shower, the showers in the spa are alot larger and nicer than the ones in the rooms.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Crow9 said:

So far we only had the change that was made the night before the cruise.  Icey straight point was cancelled and Juneau was moved back till 4pm.  No changes since then that I know of.

I went to the Excursions desk as soon as I got onboard, before I even went to my room, and rebooked new excursions for all that were cancelled.  There was no line when I went but it was packed the rest of the day and today too.  They give you a physical ticket that shows you where to meet and what time to meet at.

The only smell issue I had was with mid deck 10 near the elevators, aft carbine in the 700s where I'm at has had no issues and I had no issues in any other part of the ship so far.  So far I have had no plumbing issues or heard of any.

No other technical issues and the ship seems to be making good speed (just by watching the waves seems to be going fast).

I had dreams of Crown Grill's filet mignon last night and booked that again for the night before Victoria.

Breakfast in the Da Vinci dining room was average, omlettes and scrambles and bacon.

This ship is slightly less then half full, so there are plenty of quiet places to sit by the windows with a coffee or a drink and watch the waves.

Up on deck by the pools is empty since it is cold, except for a few people in the hot tubs.

You would know we are mid deck 10 near the elevators with a wife that can smell everything!

25 minutes ago, Crow9 said:

Tip that I learned from youtube that I think is worth it to get.  Book the 7 day thermal suite.  It gives you access to the thermal suite with saunas and waterfall showers and heated stuff.  It also gives access to extra showers and saunas specific to the spa locker rooms.  I used that to shower last night instead of my cabin's shower, the showers in the spa are alot larger and nicer than the ones in the rooms.

The Crown is one of the few ships(mostly Grand Class) that should also have complimentary ‘sauna’ and ‘steam’ in the changing rooms for the fitness center and larger showers than most standard cabins. I have heard some passengers utilize these showers/area to get ready while their cabin mate is using the one in the cabin, or as an alternative since the shower is larger.

• Like 1

Just curious how busy the Sanctuary is...also what excursions are you doing. Any tips on Juneau? Looks like the "Blue Bus" runs every 30 minutes and can be booked on a walk-up basis. We don't want to be tied down to an excursion...

1 hour ago, Crow9 said:

Looks VERY COLD. We are going in July...do you think we are okay with just a hoodie and not our Columbia jackets....

We hit stormy seas.  Make sure to bring seasick pills. The pools have been going back and forth for hours (screenshots below).  Floors 5-7 are less rocky then floors 15-18.  We get to Juneau tomorrow.

PXL_20220522_224432137.jpg

PXL_20220522_224429065.jpg

• Like 3

Sanctuary looks cold so I did not book it. I'm doing whale watching on Juneau, Skagway is breakfast, train, and helicopter to glacier. Victoria is tea at a garden.  

16532661757846876740548948091009.jpg

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, Crow9 said:

We hit stormy seas.  Make sure to bring seasick pills. The pools have been going back and forth for hours (screenshots below).  Floors 5-7 are less rocky then floors 15-18.  We get to Juneau tomorrow.

Wow!

6 hours ago, Crow9 said:

I would love to hear more about what you thought of the thermal suite overall. We are on this ship later this summer and I would like to know if you feel it is worth it. Is it full operational? Are the hours it is available been reasonable or have they been shortened? Has everything inside been functional? Our sailing is currently priced at 149 each. Thank you. 

It's open as long as the spa is open, I was there at 9:30pm last night and again today.  It's worth it is you like saunas.  I also have no idea if bathing suits are needed but I've been wearing one since it is coed.  I've been using the showers in the women's spa locker room for actual showers.  Both today and last night, it was completely empty, I was the only person there.

Everything inside has been fully operational, no issues.

Edited by Crow9
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, Crow9 said:

It's open as long as the spa is open, I was there at 9:30pm last night and again today.  It's worth it is you like saunas.  I also have no idea if bathing suits are needed but I've been wearing one since it is coed.  I've been using the showers in the women's spa locker room for actual showers.  Both today and last night, it was completely empty, I was the only person there.

Everything inside has been fully operational, no issues.

Thank you! Enjoy your trip! 

• Like 1

Sabatinis dinner was food that you could find at any Italian or seafood restaurant, but the wine and cocktails were amazing.  Food was not as amazing as Crown Grill.

I got veal tortalinni, seafood pot, dessert, wine and a mint chocolate chip martini.

I sprinted down the length of the ship in heels to the Encore show and it was an entertaining mix of Broadway, opera, dancing, orchestra, and songs in other languages.

PXL_20220523_025806677.jpg

PXL_20220523_031251912.jpg

PXL_20220523_031931046.jpg

PXL_20220523_032919883.MP.jpg

PXL_20220523_042020933.jpg

PXL_20220523_022743121.jpg

• Like 6

A few points on the cabin:

1. Still no sewage smell but too many drinks and asparagus made bringing an air freshener important.

2. The walls of the cabin are magnetic, so magnet hooks to hang the medallion and purses on is useful.

3. Ship moves and everything moves with it, so keep the safe closed and locked and all doors closed, I also took down any hangers I wasn't using and now there is no clunking sound every time the ship goes back and forth.

4. Inside cabin is amazing for sleeping, it's pitch black and I passed out.  The only thing is that it is disorienting waking up and not knowing what time it is without a window. There are no clocks anywhere on the ship.

• Like 1

CRow9- great photos.

Is there a time on the digital readout on the phone or have the phones changed? Usually out on deck by the pools I’ve seen a Clock somewhere ,but obviously not going to wake up in your cabin and go wander out onto the pool deck to find a clock.

I always use a travel alarm clock ,has the time, the temperature and of course an alarm. Can never rely on your cell phone to update with the correct time out in the sea .

Everyone needed to manually change their phones back an hour.  Since I am on airplane mode, it didn't automatically change.  There are a lot of people on this ship that do no know how to do that.

3 hours ago, Crow9 said:

A few points on the cabin:

1. Still no sewage smell but too many drinks and asparagus made bringing an air freshener important.

ROFL

I know the asparagus problem

3 hours ago, Crow9 said:

4. Inside cabin is amazing for sleeping, it's pitch black and I passed out.  The only thing is that it is disorienting waking up and not knowing what time it is without a window. There are no clocks anywhere on the ship.

Probaly no help to you in the middle of the night, but on the promenade deck there are clocks.  I know there are clocks toward the forward end on both sides.  I don't remember if there are any toward the aft end.

Edited by XBGuy