Testing in NY for International Guests

Keith.W

We are sailing September 1 2022 to Bermuda and currently have to test 24hrs before we fly into NY. As we fly in 3 nights early, we will have to test again prior to boarding as our original test will not cover embarkation.

Has anyone suggestions on how we go about testing within the NY , can we do online or will we have to visit a store and where would you recommend. 

Thanks

1 hour ago, Keith.W said:

We are sailing September 1 2022 to Bermuda and currently have to test 24hrs before we fly into NY. As we fly in 3 nights early, we will have to test again prior to boarding as our original test will not cover embarkation.

Has anyone suggestions on how we go about testing within the NY , can we do online or will we have to visit a store and where would you recommend. 

Thanks

I assume you're staying in Manhattan . I'd suggest trying CityMD, which is a chain of urgent care walk-in clinics with many locations. They should offer COVID testing at most if not all offices.

Edited by njhorseman
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

I assume you're staying in Manhattan . I'd suggest trying CityMD, which is a chain of urgent care walk-in clinics with many locations. They should offer COVIDvtesting at most if not all offices.

Good advice. I was in Manhattan last weekend and there were covid testing tents all over midtown (I could see at least 3 at once while walking thru Times Square to the theater). Things can change between now and September but getting a test in NY shouldn't be a problem.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, debenson0723 said:

Good advice. I was in Manhattan last weekend and there were covid testing tents all over midtown (I could see at least 3 at once while walking thru Times Square to the theater). Things can change between now and September but getting a test in NY shouldn't be a problem.

I can't guarantee that the pop up tents will provide the type of documentation needed for a cruise, which is why I recommend an established medical practice such as CityMD . Some pharmacies may also offer testing.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the reply's, a lot can change between now and September but good to know there is lots places in Manhattan. Will check the above places out like CityMD , CVS etc.

I know you can get home kits ordered through NCL, which are supervised by video so that might be an option if i get them delivered to the hotel.

Its extra work for us and will be costly so hopefully by September things will have eased.

In addition to NCL’s recommended testing service, I believe there are also telehealth testing companies that medically proctor your test, but you supply the test. They say that any unopened over the counter at home test is good. You sign up, reserve an appointment and take the test. They then email you the result. So, you could bring tests from home or buy them in New York. 
One company I’ve seen is called OnPoint. It’s about $20 for each test monitoring session. They say they have appointments 24/7, so you could do it at your hotel. (I’d try to find reviews of this company from customers if you can). There are likely other companies that do this as well. 

As one earlier response here stated, testing is readily available in NYC, at mobile sites, Urgent care clinics, and CVS. 

Maybe this won’t be needed in September if we’re lucky!🤞

I hope all goes well.

• Like 1

NYC's Dept of Health (DOHMH) has an established and proven partnership doing free & confidentail Covid-19 testing since the early pandemic days and remains committed until whenever, regardless of one's residency or legal status or insurance, etc. Anyone can get tested at a convenient location nearby, within the 5 boroughs (counties) of NYC - at fixed brick-n-mortar sites, mobile locations and other community partner's site - most do not require or need advance appointments and no reservations are needed.  If there is an upsurge for testing, lines can be long and wait time beyond 30 minutes to 1 hour - we've waited during the peak back in January, at a mobile site for nearly 2 hours.  Typically, both Antigen Rapid and PCR tests are done when specimens are collected, Rapid results within 30 minutes on average and PCR in 1 to 2 days now, was up to 3 or 4 days - keep in mind, 100% free and no charge, including visitors from abroad.  

There are mobile test locations (indoors) as well mobile van (mini-bus) running from dusk to dawn, 5 days a week, some are 6 or 7 days a week - excluding major legal holidays.  The only requirement is to have a working mobile or cellular phone number, an email address for the secured results and a smartphone to use/display the QR code(s) - answer a few, quick screening questions and using your unique user ID, the tests is done and processing on the spot begin.  

Nobody can predict whether these will continue and remain unchanged this September - probably is my best guess or answer for now.  It is an option, free and easy, and the results acceptable for air travel AND cruising - the reporting format met the requirements.  They have locations or mobile sites at both LGA Airport (domestic flights) and JFK Int'l Airport (international and domestic flights) set up near the parking lot, easy for travelers to get to and find. 

There are also other pop-up tents, some are run by FQHC (federally funded & qualified community health centers) in various neighborhoods and some by major public, private & not-for-profit/voluntary health care systems or networks, for free (or, they will bill one's insurance company - not requiring deductibles) - they aren't as organized centrally and easy to find or use.

This is what I recommend - we've used them at different times with ease and 100% comfortable with the personal biographical & medical info asked and collected - 

https://www.nychealthandhospitals.org/covid-19-testing-sites/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1