"What if" positive COVID Test to return to U.S.

jimmymac613

I can't seem to find any concrete information about what happens if there's a positive COVID test when you're trying to return to the U.S..  I've read somewhere that there's a 5-day quarantine requirement, read elsewhere a 10-day quarantine.  Do you have to have a negative test to return if initially positive?  Somewhere else I read that after 10 days from the first positive test you can return which implies no negative test needed. Do you need something from a doctor?  It's very confusing and I just want to be properly prepared if it should happen.

Different countries have different quarantine rules. Some are zero days, some 5 days some 7 or 10 days. So quarantine rules will vary depending on where you are. To return to the US you must have a negative test OR a letter from a physician stating you are cleared to travel. These letters can be obtained from a local provider or from a video consultation from a US provider. Most require that you be symptom free for 48 hours and be 5 days post positive test to issue the travel certificate. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, mhb1757 said:

Different countries have different quarantine rules. Some are zero days, some 5 days some 7 or 10 days. So quarantine rules will vary depending on where you are. To return to the US you must have a negative test OR a letter from a physician stating you are cleared to travel. These letters can be obtained from a local provider or from a video consultation from a US provider. Most require that you be symptom free for 48 hours and be 5 days post positive test to issue the travel certificate. 

My cruise ends in Basel, Switzerland.

You should google the requirements for Switzerland quarantine but as stated above you must abide by the US requirements to return home.  You should google that as well right before travel because the requirements may change and those advising you here may not be up to date.  What Jimmymac is quoting sounds about right for now.  

Cruise ships are Petri dishes for the latest variant so it’s good you’re thinking through what your plan will be if you test positive.  My advice is to take home antigen tests with you and test frequently because that positive test starts the clock ticking for recovery.  I would take a date-stamped photo of the test result. Only that final test one day before returning home needs to be proctored.  Also, mark your calendar if and when you begin feeling symptomatic.  The positive test and date of symptoms will be useful info if a telemed doctor is advising you.

My husband contracted Covid on a recent Tauck cruise, was very symptomatic, tested positive with a home test while on the ship but luckily(?), conveniently tested negative twice by the Tauck proctor so we were able to fly home at the end of the cruise.  Of course he tested positive again as soon as we landed and later that day tested positive with a PCR test.  He was sick for 2 weeks even though fully vaccinated and boosted.  No fun.

Good luck.

16 hours ago, jimmymac613 said:

My cruise ends in Basel, Switzerland.

It appears that as of 5/2 there are no quarantine requirements if you test positive in Switzerland. Local authorities are allowed to tighten restrictions if needed but right now all you would need is a negative test to re enter the US. The Swiss have recommendations for those testing positive but no mandatory quarantine. 

In order to get a 90 day Recovered Letter from a doctor, you need to have a positive monitored test more than 5 days before the Recovered Letter and no more than 90 days. A picture of a home test will not suffice. 

As someone said above, Google U.S. Entry requirements. Also, the airline websites have this information.