Diabetic (low carb) drink options

scrotser

I am not diabetic, but don't like to drink calories (since I love desserts!) and am allergic to aspartame.  I can have drinks with Splenda.  RCCL has a strawberry kiwi drink offered free in the Windjammer with the lemonade/tea/etc. (but they don't ever indicate that it has Splenda so you wouldn't know unless you needed to know).  I was curious if Carnival has an equivalent but from this thread it sounds like they don't.  I always carry a 12 pack of Diet Rite and a berry Mio which adds flavor and caffeine.  I also bring powdered Gatorade Zero packets and a reusable 20 ounce water bottle to mix them in.  So, you could either of those options and just add a shot to it.  The Mio and Gatorade Zero are usually always available online from Walmart.

• 4 weeks later...

My input is probably too late for the OP's cruise, but for what it's worth: I'm not diabetic but in the real world (the 340 or so days a year that I'm not on a vacation) I'm keto.  For about a decade, now.  As far as alcohol goes, I'm a Pinot Noir drinker.  I just lucked out that my favourite wine varietal happens to be the lowest carb varietal.😁  But, when I'm not drinking Pinot Noir, a go-to for me that can be made at just about any bar on land or sea is:

Patron Silver, a splash of club soda (or seltzer), and half a lime (or a whole one if it's one of those tiny limes).  The lime should be run around the rim of the glass before being squeezed and swizzled into the drink.  Zero carb. High octane. Light, refreshing flavour.

I also love the flavoured sparkling waters such as Bubly, AHA, and La Croix.

Another idea: there are SO MANY different flavours and varieties of herbal and black teas.  Tea bags are lightweight and easy to take onboard.  Hot water from the coffee/tea station at the buffet to brew your tea.  Sweeten with your sweetener of choice, if desired (I like a combo of stevia and Splenda).  Then, if you want, spike it with any clear (no carb) liquor - vodka or light rum would be my choice for a tea "cocktail".  Drink it hot or pour it over ice.  Go tea shopping pre-cruise.  Think flavours such as blueberry, cranberry apple, peach passionfruit, lemon ginger, mixed berry, etc.

😋

Edited by ShakyBeef
misspelling
  • Like 1

Water and Unsweetened Iced Tea, just bring your packets of Stevia, the main dining room does not offer stevia, there are 1 or 2 stations in the buffet area on Carnival that does carry the green stevia packets. Royal does not carry Stevia, but they do offer the ones that causes cancers like sweet and low and equal, light pink, blue and yellow packets.

Note that the Sugar Free Cakes and Desserts are not Diabetic friendly as they are made with wheat flour and Sucralose (Splenda) and Splenda does spike blood sugars in some folks.

You can draft up and print out a Keto Custard Dessert and hand it over to the Matre'D, they will be happy to accommodate you so that you can have desert with everyone else.

Also note that if you are suffering from some type of Neuropathy, nerve damage in the hands and feet then stay far away from anything that has Aspartame especially diet sodas.

Fred

Edited by Wennfred

We take mini squash bottles everywhere that contain super no sugar concentrate and are the size of a small foundation bottle. Not sure if you can get these in the US?

My t1 husband drinks wine, Manhattans, old fashioned, mixers and diet coke, slimline tonic and gin and straight whiskey.

12 minutes ago, Velvetwater said:

We take mini squash bottles everywhere that contain super no sugar concentrate and are the size of a small foundation bottle. Not sure if you can get these in the US?

My t1 husband drinks wine, Manhattans, old fashioned, mixers and diet coke, slimline tonic and gin and straight whiskey.

12 minutes ago, Velvetwater said:

Like this?:

image.jpeg.dfd8088eef3953ec870874cb6d8f2ab9.jpeg

Mio (and some other brands) make sugar-free liquid drink concentrates in tiny bottles.  IIRC, a previous poster or two may have mentioned them.  You're right, these are another great option.

Edited by ShakyBeef
Crud, I somehow put my reply in the quote bo. Sorry.

1 minute ago, ShakyBeef said:

I'm sorry, Velvetwater and everyone else, I somehow put my reply in that last post in the quote box and can't fix it.  I should know better than to start typing before I've had my first full cup of tea in the morning.🤪

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Joebucks said:

Not to be rude, but most people just need to drink more water. Limit the other stuff to when you really want it. While being on vacation and/or getting Cheers packages, people go overboard to "enjoy" themselves. 

Although it may be true that "most people just need to drink more water", that's not what this thread is about.  It's about sugar-free / non- carb / low-carb / diabetic-friendly beverage options onboard a Carnival cruise.  Beverages with flavour.  Not even necessarily alcoholic beverages.  Everyone is aware of water being available and what it tastes like.  People were asking for and sharing other options.  No judgment about others' hydration (or alcohol consumption) levels necessary, thanks. 

Edited by ShakyBeef
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, ShakyBeef said:

Although it may be true that "most people just need to drink more water", that's not what this thread is about.  It's about sugar-free / non- carb / low-carb / diabetic-friendly beverage options onboard a Carnival cruise.  Beverages with flavour.  Not even necessarily alcoholic beverages.  Everyone is aware of water being available and what it tastes like.  People were asking for and sharing other options.  No judgment about others' hydration (or alcohol consumption) levels necessary, thanks. 

Agreed.

Also...the more drinkable and flavourful water is.... the more folk drink.

• Like 1